Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 296447 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #1515 on: November 07, 2015, 10:17:57 am »

I wrote something about pies and the universe. It's mostly rambling so read and/or review at your own risk.

Spoiler: Pies and the Universe (click to show/hide)

Just because you read it at your own risk doesn't mean that you can't read it.
See inside spoiler for suggested punctuation corrections.

Actual content wise? It feels to me like it's trying too hard to be whimsical, especially with "what if our universe has already been eaten?" part.

"Unless soul clap its hands and sing" a man
More great than many I could name
Once said. What soul is there in tin or can,
When flesh is iron, bone is steel - the same?
Call me a coward if you wish, to not
Embrace the whirring of the cog for heart -
Does metal cry at you from its small cot,
Does it possess a love for light and art?
Perhaps I am too hard upon a bot
That only has the crime of being made
And not created by a self professing God.
What could that man, by fairest chance, have said?

Unless soul clap its hands and sing. Well, ring
Your bell, unstop your cogs, but can you sing?
I quite like this one.
I'm not sure about the use of "bot", due to being a shortened version of robot but it'd mess up the pacing to usse the full word.
"Unless soul clap its hands and sing" in the second last line doesn't make too much sense to me. Is it missing something?

So out of boredom I'm poking at a project every now and then. Basically I want to wrote a 'holy book' for a setting, acting as the creation story and introducing/describing the central ideas and entities.

Calling it "Sermons of the Teacher", so far I have 3 of them. They're all intended to be fairly short, fit on a page or less in Google Docs.

Spoiler: Sermon One (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sermon Two (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sermon Three (click to show/hide)

Maybe the point, but to me they just seem nonsensical. When you refer to stuff like the "new nothing of the is", I would suggest capitalising it, so it seems clearer that you're referring to some kind of metaphysical concept or whatever, and didn't just forget to delete words.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1516 on: November 07, 2015, 11:36:18 am »

Maybe the point, but to me they just seem nonsensical. When you refer to stuff like the "new nothing of the is", I would suggest capitalising it, so it seems clearer that you're referring to some kind of metaphysical concept or whatever, and didn't just forget to delete words.

Somewhat, original idea was inspired by the 36 Lessons from Morrowind (I fully admit stole the basis of the idea of a 'godhead' from ES lore) and it's mostly my first attempt at trying to do a similar thing of tying world-building with metaphor and in-universe theology. A lot of these are trying to introduce ideas to build upon in later sermons too.

The capitalisation thing is something definitely needed though if I keep going, I was going to use it to differentiate between the concept of 'the godhead' and "The Godhead" of the world. But more places, like making it the "the new nothing of the Is", could help too.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 11:46:12 am by MorleyDev »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: November 07, 2015, 11:45:52 am »

Somewhat, original idea was inspired by the 36 Lessons from Morrowind (I fully admit stole the idea of a 'godhead' from ES lore) and it's mostly my first attempt at trying to do a similar thing of tying world-building with metaphor and in-universe theology. A lot of these are trying to introduce ideas to build upon in later sermons too.

The capitalisation thing is something definitely needed though if I keep going, I was going to use it to differentiate between the concept of 'the godhead' and "The Godhead" of the world. But more places, like making it the "the new nothing of the Is", could help too.
I never played Morrowind, so I must admit I don't know what the godhead is.

Your first sermon could do with saying what it is, as well. The fact its sibling becomes the Dream-That-Was suggests the sibling is the Dream-To-Be; logically the godhead is therefore the Nothing.
You repeat that the Dream-To-Be becomes the Dream-That-Was unnecessarily.
You mention pillars that constrain the 7 shape-aspects, but you also say they are omnipotent. Perhaps a metaphor, but it seems self-contradicting.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: November 07, 2015, 11:55:26 am »

I quite like this one.
I'm not sure about the use of "bot", due to being a shortened version of robot but it'd mess up the pacing to usse the full word.
"Unless soul clap its hands and sing" in the second last line doesn't make too much sense to me. Is it missing something?

Thanks for commenting!

The line came from Yeats' Sailing to Byzantium.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

By using that line I was sort of talking about passion, and art, and mortality. And I agree - bot's not the best. I couldn't think of anything else, though. Any suggestions?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1519 on: November 07, 2015, 12:04:05 pm »

Yeah okay, that point could be a bit clearer. The original pass just had the Godhead, the idea of a sibling was added a lot later, but I like the idea of the Dream-To-Be and The Nothing fusing to form the Godhead. I rewrote the first paragraph slightly:

In ES lore (and it's a fairly obscure concept, mostly comes from out-of-game writings of Michael Kirkbride anwyay), the Godhead is the sleeper that dreams reality. I quite like the idea of reality being a dream of a being, and everyone who exists just a split personality of that being so stole it :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 12:30:53 pm by MorleyDev »

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: November 07, 2015, 12:54:23 pm »

I quite like this one.

Thanks for commenting!

The line came from Yeats' Sailing to Byzantium.

By using that line I was sort of talking about passion, and art, and mortality. And I agree - bot's not the best. I couldn't think of anything else, though. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, I can't think of anything to replace bot.
Hmm. The soul line I'm not sure fits entirely.

As a interesting little factoid, I do actually have a properly published poem.
Unfortunately, it was as part of an anthology of children's poems, so not exactly a glamorous achievement. I haven't done anything with poetry in a long time...

Yeah okay, that point could be a bit clearer. The original pass just had the Godhead, the idea of a sibling was added a lot later, but I like the idea of the Dream-To-Be and The Nothing fusing to form the Godhead. I rewrote the first paragraph slightly:

In ES lore (and it's a fairly obscure concept, mostly comes from out-of-game writings of Michael Kirkbride anwyay), the Godhead is the sleeper that dreams reality. I quite like the idea of reality being a dream of a being, and everyone who exists just a split personality of that being so stole it :)
Out of personal preference, I'd say don't capitalise the 'The' part of the The Nothing, etc. Also, careful, you've got an extra The in "..torture of possibilities, The The Dream-To-Be commissioned".

Still, I do love me some mythology.
The notion of reality being a dream of a greater being is always nice. I planned games based on that idea before, but they never got very far.

Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening had a similiar plot, with the island being a dream of the god-like being called the Wind Fish; the game is based on gathering the instruments needed to wake it so you can leave the island. The final boss' death quote is even about how "This island is going to disappear... our world is going to disappear... our... world..."
And when you wake the Wind Fish, the island does indeed disappear. So really you remove all the characters you meet from existence. Way to go, hero.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: November 07, 2015, 01:41:54 pm »

Unfortunately, it was as part of an anthology of children's poems, so not exactly a glamorous achievement. I haven't done anything with poetry in a long time...
That's great! More than I'll ever achieve. Mind sharing it?
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: November 07, 2015, 02:32:01 pm »

That's great! More than I'll ever achieve. Mind sharing it?
I'll see if I can dig it up and PM it to you. I'm sure I have the book around somewhere.
Honestly I'm not sure if to count it as a triumph or an old shame.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: November 07, 2015, 04:05:06 pm »

I found it! And... by god, it's... not great. I was ten years old, but by god. Get it together, ten-year-old me.

On the other hand, adult me has never had anything published, so who's laughing now, I guess?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #1524 on: November 07, 2015, 04:08:46 pm »

I found it! And... by god, it's... not great. I was ten years old, but by god. Get it together, ten-year-old me.

On the other hand, adult me has never had anything published, so who's laughing now, I guess?

Hah, I was reading through some stories I wrote when I was ten a few days ago. Much the same response (although my technical skills were better than expected!).

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1525 on: November 07, 2015, 04:37:37 pm »

Hah, I was reading through some stories I wrote when I was ten a few days ago. Much the same response (although my technical skills were better than expected!).

No-one will ever find my Junior school English books. They must never see the light of day.

I distinctly remember having a character called "Braven" in the "Write a story inspired by Beowulf" task. Because he was brave and stuff. That would of been like Year 3, so I would of been like 7 or 8, but still...yeah.

Also I just remembered they made us read a kid-friendly version of Beowulf in Year 3 xD Still including Beowulf tearing Grendel's arm off of course :)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:40:23 pm by MorleyDev »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: November 07, 2015, 04:45:52 pm »

I remember writing a story based off a character in Eragon... not sure what age I was.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: November 07, 2015, 05:02:50 pm »

I wrote something about pies and the universe. It's mostly rambling so read and/or review at your own risk.

Actual content wise? It feels to me like it's trying too hard to be whimsical, especially with "what if our universe has already been eaten?" part.
Thank you for the comments Giglamesh. I feel like trying to hard is going to be something I struggle with, especially since it's something I do in real life as well. Apart from that could you explain, in a simpletons terms, what a run on sentence is? I don't fully understand what it is. And on a related note, does anyone have any good resources for learning grammar and punctuation?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: November 07, 2015, 05:19:34 pm »

I remember writing a story based off a character in Eragon... not sure what age I was.
I'm already of a low opinion of Eragon, so fanfiction written about it by a young author?
Jesus would weep. :P

Thank you for the comments Giglamesh. I feel like trying to hard is going to be something I struggle with, especially since it's something I do in real life as well. Apart from that could you explain, in a simpletons terms, what a run on sentence is? I don't fully understand what it is. And on a related note, does anyone have any good resources for learning grammar and punctuation?
Simply put... hmmm.
A run on sentence is when you use a comma when you really should have used a full stop.

Lets take one of your sentences from earlier:
That thing isn't matter though, it's dark matter, and when you bite into a pie you never really know what the gravy is made out of, and we humans don't really understand dark matter yet.

This is a run-on sentence. It would be better split into multiple sentences, a la:
That thing isn't matter, though, it's dark matter. When you bite into a pie you never really know what the gravy is made out of, and we humans don't really understand dark matter yet.

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/grammar-tips might be helpful.

Despite my fondness for writing, I never studied English at a high level, so I'm not sure how to explain things well.

Also, by God, man, if your pies are nothing but gravy and gristle you need to buy better pies. Or fruit pies.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: November 07, 2015, 05:22:27 pm »

I'm already of a low opinion of Eragon, so fanfiction written about it by a young author?
Jesus would weep. :P

Haha, my teacher must have been of a Satanist bent. She read it in front of the class. Spread the heresy! :P
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 100 101 [102] 103 104 ... 130