Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 296165 times)

Lermfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #1620 on: March 03, 2016, 05:55:59 pm »

Oh. Cool! Now I can work on my skills with a positive-minded community! I assume any creative writing is fair-game. Hopefully I can put some Chrononaut stuff up here. I need to develop that verse some more.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: March 03, 2016, 06:11:57 pm »

[spoiler=Extremely long thing]I crash through the doorway and grope for the light switch. While I flick it on, I rub my eyes with my left hand. Everything blurs. The way you start so many things on their own line is unnecessary if it's not dialogue, in my opinion.
   I sit on a chair and blink blearily for a minute. With my vision clearer, (This can be assumed and doesn't need to be said.)I reach over and and turn off the lights. Or at least switch them to off. The light flickers, setting the room awash in an unhealthy orange, before stabilizing at a dim haze. A strap catches my attention, directing my gaze to a backpack strewn partly on the chair.
   That’s better. It’s no trouble to see in the semi-darkness. It helps in ignoring the discolored patches on the walls, and I’m used to it, though in rare moments of weirdness it bothers me. Luckily, those moments are few. (You already said they were rare. No need to repeat yourself.)This way I don’t need to fix the lights. And let strangers into my apartment. Well, I definitely got what I paid for. The circular table that came with the place has never been used, but I did reposition some chairs.
   I’m suddenly aware of a pressure in my stomach. Stumbling past an unused closet, I enter the bathroom. With a groan, I take care of the matter. The water is on nine out of ten times, but recently it seems that ten has been repeating itself.
   It works, though honestly, I’m not even (So you don't repeat even) sure I’d care or even notice too much if it didn’t. Leaving, I splash my face with some water from the sink. It… seems slightly less clean than the toilet water. Slightly. My nightly sanitization done, I crawl into bed.
   Two minutes later I’m changing my clothes. Got a little too awake. (?) I changed into slightly cleaner clothes and introduced my face and arms to water, as I do ever so rarely. (Sudden shift to past tense.)With that done, I can sleep away the rest of the - day...

The musty air of my apartment touches my nose, but it’s the night breeze that I smell. (This seems self contradicting. If he can tell the air is musty he can smell it.) I walk down the stairs, out of the building, and end up in the fringes of the forest, stricken by an unexplainable impulse. Shadows cast by trees darken the grass. I tilt back my head, savoring the freshness of the air. My foot lifts of its own accord, bringing me into - the woods? I freeze. Why was I here?
   Does it really matter? I answer myself, with an invisible(To prevent repetition here again.) shrug. Hesitantly, I step forward. On an invisible path, I move steadily (Just a sentence ago, he was hesitant; steadily implies confidence. Perhaps he should either be more unsure or mention the protagonist gains his courage.)deeper into the trees.
   Soon the branches obscure most of the moonlight, with only dappled spots of silver where it’s let through. I glance up, catching a glimpse of the moon. I stop to look at it, and instantly become captivated, slowing to a stop. I admire the silver sheen, the -
   A leaf lands on my face, unnoticed as it fell. I shake my head, knocking it off. As I look up, a dark shape flits under the moon, and the moon disappears with it.

My initial thoughts on this.
I'll read more later, but try not to repeat information, and your formatting seems kinda odd to me.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: March 03, 2016, 06:12:34 pm »

Oh. Cool! Now I can work on my skills with a positive-minded community! I assume any creative writing is fair-game. Hopefully I can put some Chrononaut stuff up here. I need to develop that verse some more.
Yes, any creative writing is fine. Let's see what you've got!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: March 10, 2016, 08:45:19 pm »

Kindly go through and format things before you post them. It saves time for everyone, really, and then you get a more true image of what you genuinely need to improve on.

It's pretty much my instinctual formatting, with not much editing. There were a lot of parts in which I think I'd said really awkwardly, which is my main concern.

Thanks! (as always)

Also:
(This seems self contradicting. If he can tell the air is musty he can smell it.)

Experience.

"Experience" doesn't make it not contradicting. Musty means it smells of mold. If he can tell its musty he can smell it.

(Just a sentence ago, he was hesitant; steadily implies confidence. Perhaps he should either be more unsure or mention the protagonist gains his courage.

I meant that he moved at a constant pace. It's supposed to mean that even though he's hesitant he still decisive.

((Btw I've got more, but I think I'll wait to post that.))
If he's decisive, he's not hesistant. If he's hesitant, he's not decisive. If he's nervous, there are other ways to show it - eyes wide, glancing around blindly, he nonetheless forced himself onward at a steady pace. Etc, etc.

Consistency is key. Don't contract yourself except in rare, very deliberate circumstances.

Ok, next chunk.

Spoiler: Extremely long thing (click to show/hide)

Something you seem to have done a lot is a lot of "X happens, then Y happens, then Z happens. The whole thing feels kinda dry?

Keep in mind what kind of atmosphere you're trying to build. Suspenseful? Mysterious? Threatening? Then work towards that. At the moment it doesn't really have one.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1624 on: March 10, 2016, 08:56:52 pm »

Saving Dr Grey: Based off of a FG&RP game I'm in.

Hiding Melot

Would anyone be willing to cowrite a story with me?
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: March 10, 2016, 09:07:38 pm »

I'm....interested in trying this to help curb a condition I have.
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: March 11, 2016, 03:45:29 pm »

Hiding Melot

I will admit beforehand I disn't read the whole thing - I read quickly up to his father giving him the sword before giving up.

My initial thoughts, however, is it feels somewhat generic. The special,  powerful animal races are persecuted by the racist humans.

The cat hybrid having both human ears and cat ears is also... strange. I don't think I've seen that before.

The cat people have one battle, of untrained,  pretty-much unarmed civilians against trained, armed soldiers, and they win?

Be cautious of making species "human but better".

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1627 on: March 17, 2016, 01:59:11 am »

An as-of-yet unnamed and unfinished story. Alternate history of 1942 onwards Germany being invaded by the soviets.

Hiding Melot

I will admit beforehand I disn't read the whole thing - I read quickly up to his father giving him the sword before giving up.

My initial thoughts, however, is it feels somewhat generic. The special,  powerful animal races are persecuted by the racist humans.

The cat hybrid having both human ears and cat ears is also... strange. I don't think I've seen that before.

The cat people have one battle, of untrained,  pretty-much unarmed civilians against trained, armed soldiers, and they win?

Be cautious of making species "human but better".
Thank you for your critique. It feels generic. On re-reading it it kind of does feel generic. I was aiming for the perfect middlepoint for the animal people, where they are literally a humanoid (insert animal).

The battle. I made it that they won only because of their night vision and tactical error on the part of the humans.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 02:01:48 am by Insanegame27 »
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #1628 on: March 17, 2016, 07:59:48 pm »

In working on some future skypirates stories, I discovered that one of my most-used resources is Creative Commons licensed, so I can mirror it for everyone with an interest. I therefore present the Skypirates Map Archive, 95% from the extremely generous David Rumsey Historical Map Collection. It's an ever-growing collection of very high resolution 1920s and 1930s maps, covering standard adventure areas in the Skypirates world, and wherever else I wanted some detail on.

I hope soon to add some of the descriptive text from my 1920s atlases, because they're pretty awesome.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: March 23, 2016, 02:52:18 pm »

This is basically a rough draft of a series of short stories I want to start up. This takes place in a run-down district of Monopolville, a metropolis in the near future of a world like our own, but rather strange and surreal. This story series tells the misadventures of one of many gangs, the Ragenauts. These people are neither heroes nor villains, just people who banded together in a place that went straight up FUBAR to best survive. Critique would be much appreciated, and thanks for reading.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: March 23, 2016, 03:39:46 pm »

This is basically a rough draft of a series of short stories I want to start up. This takes place in a run-down district of Monopolville, a metropolis in the near future of a world like our own, but rather strange and surreal. This story series tells the misadventures of one of many gangs, the Ragenauts. These people are neither heroes nor villains, just people who banded together in a place that went straight up FUBAR to best survive. Critique would be much appreciated, and thanks for reading.

Far too short to give any sort of proper input as regards to plot, but:

If it's first person, the beginning feels too impersonal. Did the protagonist make their way there? It doesn't seem like you've decided whether or not it's from the viewpoint of one of the gang members. Sort that out. Consistency is key.

"something to be worthwhile" is very clunky and should be fixed.

Are the called Ragesters or Ragenauts?

Territory 'running thin' doesn't seem right - it's not being used up, it's presumably getting crowded. Use something that more suggests crowding.

Grab suggests they're scavenging, not occupying a building.

a yellow tape of'quarentine' here
You've both misspelt quarantine and you're missing a space. This is also just poor english - "Sure, there's yellow quarantine tape over there, and a blood-splattered 'help' over there, but that's from forever ago." would be much better. I've added the 'from'.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: March 23, 2016, 03:56:50 pm »

Far too short to give any sort of proper input as regards to plot, but:

If it's first person, the beginning feels too impersonal. Did the protagonist make their way there? It doesn't seem like you've decided whether or not it's from the viewpoint of one of the gang members. Sort that out. Consistency is key.

"something to be worthwhile" is very clunky and should be fixed.

Are the called Ragesters or Ragenauts?

Territory 'running thin' doesn't seem right - it's not being used up, it's presumably getting crowded. Use something that more suggests crowding.

Grab suggests they're scavenging, not occupying a building.

a yellow tape of'quarentine' here
You've both misspelt quarantine and you're missing a space. This is also just poor english - "Sure, there's yellow quarantine tape over there, and a blood-splattered 'help' over there, but that's from forever ago." would be much better. I've added the 'from'.
Thanks for the critique. I think this would be far better off as an animation or comic, it was hard to write up what little I did. I was trying to use bad grammar artistically, because I'm trying to give off the idea that these people don't know proper grammar, and that they've made up their own gang slang, but that was even worse. Trying to do that while also properly telling people what's going on will only hold the book down. I'll leave this idea for later. Thanks for reading.
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: March 28, 2016, 05:56:31 pm »

I daydreamed about some sort of angry message demanding the surrender of a castle, and decided to write it out. Then I somehow wrote a snippet about a soldier besieging that same castle. The events below take place in some nondescript 'verse I smoked up in half an hour, but I tried to keep things somewhat consistent.

With this I'm mostly interested in whether my sentences seem too long or hard to read, whether it's easy to comprehend what's going on in my action scene, and whether my description of being injured feels apt. If anything else feels wrong, I'd like to know, too.

With this, my primary interest is if this feels threatening enough, and if there's some way to inject additional pathos into it.

But anyway, I would be interested in any other comments as well.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 06:24:05 pm by Avis-Mergulus »
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

LordBrassroast

• Bay Watcher
  • Wibble.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: April 07, 2016, 05:25:02 pm »

I was thinking of writing a book or perhaps a selection of short stories about 3 Vikings who are accidentally sent to the Old West in a block of ice intended for a refrigerator.

Is this crazy enough to be funny or exactly as stupid as it sounds?

And here it is, several months later.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: April 07, 2016, 06:30:13 pm »

I was thinking of writing a book or perhaps a selection of short stories about 3 Vikings who are accidentally sent to the Old West in a block of ice intended for a refrigerator.

Is this crazy enough to be funny or exactly as stupid as it sounds?

And here it is, several months later.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
By all means, do continue.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 130