Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 296562 times)

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #1680 on: June 11, 2016, 08:24:35 am »

Quick heads-up/plug: today is official release day for my novella (which means previews are now up at your retailer of choice). I'm doing a choose your own adventure story through the day as part of the release day festivities, if that interests you.

Here's the first entry of the choose your own adventure story:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: June 12, 2016, 12:24:39 am »

Thanks, guys.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: June 17, 2016, 02:39:10 am »

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: September 24, 2016, 01:21:16 am »

Holy shit this thread died.  Uhh, considering that this thread seems super helpful(and not at all because I'm writing a story and I want feedback definitely not at all) I'm gonna bump this back up.  Besides, I've been meaning to practice my necromancy.
I'm not trying to be selfish or inconsiderate or whatever, but considering BlackHeartKabal's post is several months ago I'm going to assume he got it sorted out since then.

...so uhh, I kinda want feedback on this thing I'm starting to write, its only ~400 words
Spoiler: no title as of yet (click to show/hide)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: September 24, 2016, 05:17:25 am »

OK, for the basics:
Start each person's dialogue on a new line. This is pretty important. Just having all your text.
Also, you change from past to present tense. That needs to fixed. All the stuff highlighted is past, after that it's in present.

Also, dialogue has it's own subset for punctuation rules: http://theeditorsblog.net/2010/12/08/punctuation-in-dialogue/
You have a few mistakes in that regard. I've not fixed them below.

...so uhh, I kinda want feedback on this thing I'm starting to write, its only ~400 words
Spoiler: no title as of yet (click to show/hide)
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1685 on: September 24, 2016, 06:15:34 am »

Also, formatting and indent. Granted that indent is hard on the forums, formatting rules apply.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: September 25, 2016, 09:31:14 pm »

OK, for the basics:
Start each person's dialogue on a new line. This is pretty important. Just having all your text.
Also, you change from past to present tense. That needs to fixed. All the stuff highlighted is past, after that it's in present.

Also, dialogue has it's own subset for punctuation rules: http://theeditorsblog.net/2010/12/08/punctuation-in-dialogue/
You have a few mistakes in that regard. I've not fixed them below.

-snip-
Ah, thanks!  Yeah having each person's words be on a different line makes it much easier to read.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1687 on: September 27, 2016, 10:06:45 am »

Another attempt at a weird writing style.

The idea I'm trying to work towards is:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 07:16:25 am by MorleyDev »

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #1688 on: September 28, 2016, 02:35:13 pm »

My ebook (see link a few posts above) is on sale this week for 99 cents, which is kinda fun.

Much more fun is that I'm wrapping up work on the first story I plan to sell to a magazine. It's a piece of Lovecraftian horror which answers the question every software engineer has asked at one point or another: is this code so bad it could summon an elder god?

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: October 02, 2016, 02:05:41 pm »

Congratulations on the ebook!

As an aside, could any of you writing types tell me how you come up with ideas for writing? I can write well enough, but actually getting a story together seems beyond me....
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: October 02, 2016, 02:45:35 pm »

I'm just naturally creative, git gud scrub

I have two main methods, myself.

I'll have an idea, and expand on it.  That idea can be pretty much anything - a sentence (Her veins pulsed like molten metal.) which I then build on, on just an idea. How about a setting where the world was literally a goddess, and she died and broke into pieces? What about ghosts being invisible and dangerous, so most of the world is overrun with spirits you need special goggles to see? What about fantasy races in a ww1 era setting, and how they'd be affected by developments in technology?

Alternatively, take an establish idea and try to flip it around. Human infiltrators in a society of robots. A man tries to break a sword of legend.

Generally once I have the seed idea I'll write an action scene. As that develops it grants me more ideas about the protagonists and antagonists. The weapons they use. The locations they're in, and then I build from that into a larger setting, and once that's all established it's more suitable for writing a story in.
Or I just wing it. Does something sound cool? Bung it in.

And then, generally, I abandon it and move on to the next idea :P

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: October 02, 2016, 02:49:44 pm »

Ha, that's something similar to my approach :P

My problem comes when I try to conceive of it as a book-length story with a more detailed plot.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: October 02, 2016, 03:04:27 pm »

Have you tried something like nanowrimo?
Just sit down and write.
It doesn't matter if it's a steaming pile of shit; just force yourself to write.

Dunno, really, there's a few different routes I could suggest.
Have the skeleton of the main plot, flesh out the major scenes, and then fill in the gaps, so to speak.

Just write and see what happens, throwing in whatever comes to mind.

Try different methods. Writing a book isn't easy, so maybe start with short stories and build up? Your first book doesn't have to be Lord of the Rings, after all.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #1693 on: October 02, 2016, 05:08:47 pm »

I'm just naturally creative, git gud scrub

I have two main methods, myself.

I'll have an idea, and expand on it.  That idea can be pretty much anything - a sentence (Her veins pulsed like molten metal.) which I then build on, on just an idea. How about a setting where the world was literally a goddess, and she died and broke into pieces? What about ghosts being invisible and dangerous, so most of the world is overrun with spirits you need special goggles to see? What about fantasy races in a ww1 era setting, and how they'd be affected by developments in technology?

Alternatively, take an establish idea and try to flip it around. Human infiltrators in a society of robots. A man tries to break a sword of legend.

Generally once I have the seed idea I'll write an action scene. As that develops it grants me more ideas about the protagonists and antagonists. The weapons they use. The locations they're in, and then I build from that into a larger setting, and once that's all established it's more suitable for writing a story in.
Or I just wing it. Does something sound cool? Bung it in.

And then, generally, I abandon it and move on to the next idea :P
That is... identical to how I start my stories.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: October 29, 2016, 11:46:39 am »

Not sure if this is the right thread for it.

But I am making a text adventure game.

And here is a lore I spent 8 hours on.

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 [113] 114 115 ... 130