Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 295344 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #1920 on: January 02, 2023, 04:40:13 pm »

Spoiler: Part 2 (click to show/hide)
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: January 06, 2023, 06:45:51 pm »

Spoiler: Part 3 (click to show/hide)
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: January 07, 2023, 09:01:06 am »

Spoiler: Part 4 (click to show/hide)

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: January 23, 2023, 10:54:56 am »

Spoiler: Part 5 (click to show/hide)

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: January 23, 2023, 08:35:59 pm »

Wow, it's been almost 11 years since I've posted in this thread.  I don't have anything direct to contribute except to say that I decided to keep working on my NaNoWriMo story from last year, which I completed last night after a marathon 5,400 words in a single day.  It came out to about 95,000 words across 29 chapters and a bit over 300 pages using the novel e-pub template I used.

When I started, I set out to write something I hoped would be publishable.  That was always a lofty goal considering that the subject material was inevitably not going to be broadly appealing.  It's a story about space explorers in an alternate, magical universe who discover that the solution to the Fermi paradox is that aliens keep wiping themselves out by discovering necromancy.  Except... it's also written from the perspective of a non-human species that are effectively space furries.  So, pretty narrow appeal.

Anyway, after writing it, I came to the normal conclusion that the story is just a very rough draft that needs a lot of plot and developmental work.  I effectively want to redo the last third of the book, maybe with the end result having no resemblance to what I wrote.  Editors understandably charge money to review a story of that length, and since I don't think it could be published anyway there's no point in doing that.

Still, it's good to finish something I started for NaNoWriMo.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1925 on: January 30, 2023, 12:42:05 am »

It's still quite the accomplishment to get a piece of that magnitude done. Bravo.

I'm in the midst of writing a story, too. I have the roughest of rough outlines done, but I'm getting bogged down in my own expectations and insecurity. The story is set in my homebrew RPG setting, so I have no idea how much to define and how much to let the reader figure out. I'm also not sure how much to describe the main character.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: January 30, 2023, 01:00:55 am »

These days I've sort of let my writing lapse. Trying to get back into the hobby, but it's a bit difficult to choose what you want to do.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: February 10, 2023, 06:48:23 pm »

Spoiler: Part 6 (click to show/hide)

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: February 15, 2023, 05:53:44 pm »

Spoiler: Part 7 (click to show/hide)

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: February 19, 2023, 08:51:10 pm »

Spoiler: Part 8 (click to show/hide)

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: March 16, 2023, 03:59:16 pm »

Spoiler: Part 9 (click to show/hide)

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: April 04, 2023, 04:55:23 am »

Wow, it's been almost 11 years since I've posted in this thread.  I don't have anything direct to contribute except to say that I decided to keep working on my NaNoWriMo story from last year, which I completed last night after a marathon 5,400 words in a single day.  It came out to about 95,000 words across 29 chapters and a bit over 300 pages using the novel e-pub template I used.

When I started, I set out to write something I hoped would be publishable.  That was always a lofty goal considering that the subject material was inevitably not going to be broadly appealing.  It's a story about space explorers in an alternate, magical universe who discover that the solution to the Fermi paradox is that aliens keep wiping themselves out by discovering necromancy.  Except... it's also written from the perspective of a non-human species that are effectively space furries.  So, pretty narrow appeal.

Anyway, after writing it, I came to the normal conclusion that the story is just a very rough draft that needs a lot of plot and developmental work.  I effectively want to redo the last third of the book, maybe with the end result having no resemblance to what I wrote.  Editors understandably charge money to review a story of that length, and since I don't think it could be published anyway there's no point in doing that.

Still, it's good to finish something I started for NaNoWriMo.

Hey, well done. 95,000 words is a big achievement even if it still needs editing.

I look back on posts I made 10yrs ago to this thread and forum about writing and I've only just finished some of those projects. Writing seems a long road.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: April 04, 2023, 07:26:18 pm »

Thanks.  I recently started rewriting that story with some real hopes of making it public in some fashion, though I've been trying to think of how I'll do that.

Even if I got the story and prose up to a level I'm happy with, I know there's no traditional publisher that would take it, so at best I could self publish it on Kindle or something.  That's better than nothing, but I've wondered if it might make more sense to try to publish it as a free web novel on a personal website or something.  I wouldn't make any money on it that way, but maybe someone would actually read it without all of the expectations that it's a professionally edited novel.

Except I don't think people really do that anymore.  I've gone looking a little to try to find web novels, and it looks like there are some aggregation sites but the few I looked at didn't have the best presentation or usability.

What's worse is that I have another story idea I want to work on that has undead as a prominent feature of the setting, and if I ever tried to publish that people might feel like I'm one note.  And maybe I am.  Guess I could use a different pen name.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: April 05, 2023, 06:31:42 am »

Thanks.  I recently started rewriting that story with some real hopes of making it public in some fashion, though I've been trying to think of how I'll do that.

Even if I got the story and prose up to a level I'm happy with, I know there's no traditional publisher that would take it, so at best I could self publish it on Kindle or something.  That's better than nothing, but I've wondered if it might make more sense to try to publish it as a free web novel on a personal website or something.  I wouldn't make any money on it that way, but maybe someone would actually read it without all of the expectations that it's a professionally edited novel.

Except I don't think people really do that anymore.  I've gone looking a little to try to find web novels, and it looks like there are some aggregation sites but the few I looked at didn't have the best presentation or usability.

What's worse is that I have another story idea I want to work on that has undead as a prominent feature of the setting, and if I ever tried to publish that people might feel like I'm one note.  And maybe I am.  Guess I could use a different pen name.

RoyalRoad might be what you're looking for, though that site mostly focuses on LitRPG genre. I went the Kindle route. It's just nice to have something finished so it can stop taking up space in your brain.

You say one-note, I say niche. There's people who only want a very specific type of story and will gobble up any that fits those parametres, so if you find your 'people' you can be successful no matter if you keep writing about the same thing. Heck, I think most writers stick to similar topics, if not the same genre at least.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: April 05, 2023, 12:23:48 pm »

I've heard of Royal Road and peeked at it a bit, and maybe it's something worth looking at more closely.  I was going to contest that the concept of LitRPG was pretty bizarre to be represented so heavily there, and it apparently is to the point that I see one of the threads on their forums is advertising that anyone who hasn't written LitRPG to advertise it there, but then I remembered that one of the big fanfics I wrote is in a sense LitRPG.

It's a bit disappointing that Royal Road doesn't have more granular tagging, and if there's a way to search for cross-genre stories I haven't figured out how yet.  I'd really like to see a system like this that used extensive tagging like you see on a lot of art boards so that I could find something very specific.  As it is, it looks like you have to mostly know the name of a story you're looing for or you have to slog through a ton to find something that might interest you.
Pages: 1 ... 127 128 [129] 130