Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 296647 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #750 on: March 31, 2014, 01:32:57 am »

When's the next competition? :v

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 31, 2014, 06:58:57 am »

Exactly my question. The people demand justice-slash-entertainment!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 31, 2014, 09:03:55 am »

No ideaa. I sent draignean the next prompt, but he never posted again.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 31, 2014, 02:55:42 pm »

No ideaa. I sent draignean the next prompt, but he never posted again.

Blargh. I keep meaning to write new comments on your revision before I start a new contest, and then I put that off as well. Blargh.

Short-ish Fiction Contest: Draigcorp 2014 Edition
"Jesus Christ, what's it take to kill this thing?!"

Rules
Your story must be greater than 250 words.
Your story must be less than 10,000 words. (Translated into average paperback pages, that's ~40 pages.)
Your story must be submitted before Sunday at whenever-I-start-grading (and preferably earlier) to be considered.
Your story must respond to the prompt (in some way) in order to be considered for grading.
You cannot win twice in a row. You may be ranked first, but you can't get the benefits of 'winning'.
You can submit a story either in the thread or by pm. If you submit by PM, your story will remain anonymous.

You Can
Submit stories from a larger body of work, as long as they fall within the word limits.
Write in any kind of style you feel like. I really don't give a damn and I've read pretty much anything.
Write poetry. Bear in mind that I am not a brilliant judge of poetry and will be a very wishy-washy critic in that regard. Note: Poetry is exempt from wordcount.

You Cannot
Write stories of graphic sexuality. Forum rules, blah blah blah. Keep Reginald's quivering member to yourself. Sex is fine, just don't make it the centerpiece of the story.
Write nonfiction. I don't care if it's a spectacular history of central Asia that explains Kazakhstan's multi-vector politics AND somehow fits the prompt. NO. Bad brain!
Submit the exact same story twice, even if it fits two prompts. You must evidence clear and substantial revisions before you can re-enter an old piece.

How this Works

Every week there will be a prompt submitted. You then have the rest of the week to work on your story. You can submit anytime between the start of the contest and the Sunday the week after the contest begins. The deadline for stories is the end of that sunday. (8-14 day window) If you post after that deadline then I won't consider your story for the rankings and you can use it another time.
   That sunday, or in the week following, I will declare someone a winner and rank the rest of the stories. I will provide critique along with each piece. It may not be substantial, but I guarantee you that I will read it and point out the parts of it that I think work best and the parts that need the most work. I will avoid being mean, but I will also avoid telling you something is awesome when I think it needs work.
   Then, after I declare a winner, that person declares the next prompt. Then the process repeats. If the winner doesn't post a prompt by the end of Monday, I will post one that night. The winner can also waive the right to make their own prompt, but I can't imagine anyone doing that. I may also veto the winner's prompt and write a new one of the occasion calls for it. Fanfic, since it you need knowledge to write in it, is a banned category for prompts. (Not, however, for stories.)

Prompt 2. Submissions open 3/31 - 4/9

Prompt:  Fixing a broken world.

There are no other stipulations or clarifications, so wipe the Cheeto dust from your fingers and get writing.

Spoiler: FAQ (Updated 2/21/14) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 02:58:16 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 31, 2014, 10:53:51 pm »

Here, have something I wrote in about ten minutes because I was reading the wrong thing and thinking it was the prompt.

Spoiler: The Grand Golem (click to show/hide)
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 08, 2014, 04:46:16 pm »

A experimental piece of writing rather than a story. Also, Draignean, you gonna review my modification of Cloudview and Hopespot?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #756 on: April 20, 2014, 12:35:38 pm »

In the interests of improvement:

Spoiler: Let Starfires Fall (click to show/hide)

I wrote this a couple of months back. I'd really appreciate honest criticism, as English teachers tend to be so happy to have someone actually bother to write something decent that they mark... generously.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 20, 2014, 02:45:25 pm »

Because somebody has to review...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 02:50:35 pm by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 20, 2014, 03:31:27 pm »

The sentences seem to run on far too long, even with commas. I just don't really like the writing style.

I realise that isn't too helpful, and I apologise, but the way it's written just rubs me the wrong way.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 20, 2014, 11:50:34 pm »

Here's a short story thing I wrote spur of the moment cause I couldn't sleep the other day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #760 on: April 21, 2014, 06:30:02 am »

Because somebody has to review...

Yeah, it kinda brick walled when I hit the word limit. I'm glad it works as a worldbuilding piece! That setting has been bubbling in my head for ages, and that snippet was meant to flesh it out. What plot there is exists mainly to fill one of the prompts the teacher set, which kinda got sidelined. I agree that the slavery stuff got a bit heavy.
Thanks a lot.

The sentences seem to run on far too long, even with commas. I just don't really like the writing style.

I realise that isn't too helpful, and I apologise, but the way it's written just rubs me the wrong way.

That is totally helpful. It's a problem with my style that I've been wondering about for a while; it's nice to have confirmation.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 21, 2014, 04:17:47 pm »

Never posted in here before, but I finally found some time to write! So what the hell. And I had an idea for the last prompt that wouldn't get out of my head until I wrote it down.

That is totally helpful. It's a problem with my style that I've been wondering about for a while; it's nice to have confirmation.
I can sympathize. It's far to easy to write rambling sentences that sound good in my head but are incomprehensible when written down. I'm still trying to end a long, torrid love affair with the semi-colon  =P
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 21, 2014, 04:37:55 pm »

Here's a story for the "fixing a broken world" prompt, although I might have strayed from the prompt a bit. It's heavily based on the interactive fiction Blue Lacuna. The grammar and structure convention is semi-deliberately bad.

Spoiler: Library (click to show/hide)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 25, 2014, 02:18:44 am »

These more focus on a broken world, and not necessarily fixing it, unless by the act of pointing things out... But, yes, wrote for class, and peers are too nice. Any comments or critiques for either of these would be appreciated!

---Hi-C Wrapper

---On finding happiness in a larger city

Clarification of references

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 25, 2014, 09:23:54 am »

A world that has been seared from existence, in almost every way. The halls that were once bustling with activity now echo with emptiness, that most dangerous of foes. It is invulnerable, and though a tossed rock my banish the silence for a while, it surges back, so softly it is almost missed, but always-it comes.

This is the place I come to. The gates have been torn from this last pinnacle of the Forumites, those most noble of creatures that had once delved, mined and warred much like their Dwarven brethren. They lie in the mud that I remember as green, those doors, and though once encrusted with gems they now lie empty, hollow. A dead fort, and this the last, dead remainder of civilization. The wind moans through labyrinthine corridors and makes the hair on my arms stand up. A dead place, aye, but also a haunted place.

To combat the sounds of the dead crying and howling, I start to hum. The tune builds in me until I can hold it no more, and the wind dies down. Hushed. Listening. Thus is what I sang;

Where are the Forumites I once knew,
The swords, the axe, the mace?
Oh where are they, the brave and true,
That I had loved to see.

The halls now ring silently
Cursing lack of life.
Oh where, oh where are they?
My heart with woe is rife.

Where once great pillars sweeping rose
Bejewelled in light and gold,
There now is naught, not even foes-
Their works have  long been turned to mould.

A shade, I walk between the rooms
Where once sang bards with merriment;
Ah, how I long to hear their haunting tunes,
But oh, they’re gone, their beauty’s spent.

No more shall I be cast adrift
For I am here inside the Fort
Of Forumites, where long I dwelt
In blazing ball, in flow’ring court.

I turn my back from this drear place,
A tear is in my eye-
They’re gone, the Forumites,
An age has passed, I watched it die.

No more is bravery an art,
No longer NAV is drunk on joy.
We were the last alive to see
A place the gods could not destroy.

“Where are my friends,” I sigh
And in the sky the sun begins to climb.
“Where did they go?” I whisper; cry,
Distraught, a second time.

Behind is Necrothreat,
Ahead the whole of life and light,
But I would throw it all to hell,
For one more glimpse, a single sight….

Of halls that gleam and glitter white,
Then red, then green, then blue!
Of faces harsh and hard,
But nonetheless honest and true.
Mayhap also I would see the land
Around turn green, fertile and ripe,
But more I’d love to see the men,
The ones who fought for what was right.
And then I’d see the people live,
And walk, and talk-just live their lives!
Oh what I’d give to see that sight
With these two weary eyes.

Head raised, looking at the dark testament of what once, I release my woe and sadness, and though that haunted wind no longer wails throughout the halls, my woe is heard. Large, shaking sobs that come once the last note leaves my lips and hangs, ethereal, in the air before it dies. There is no healing this. There is no return to glory. All is dead.

-----------
I wrote the poem for the succession game Necrothreat, so I figured I may as well write something brief around it too.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 130