Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 295829 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #885 on: September 17, 2014, 06:35:33 am »

After observing the room I sat up in the stretcher. As I began getting up my  head felt lighter and I began to get dizzy. The heart monitor was now steadily beeping once every about second and a half and was getting pretty annoying.
The heart monitor was now beeping? You knew how it was beeping before?
You could could show the monitor was getting irritating rather than just say 'it's annoyin'.'

I swung my legs around to the left side of the bed opposite of the heart rate monitor as to not knock it over. Once I was finally sitting upright I saw a doctor laying
Lying, not laying, in this case.

on the floor.
The doctor seemed to be unconscious but I could hear groaning from his direction but his face was on the ground. I ignored him for now and observed the floor, there was short tan grass growing out of the cracks. I saw a grey drawstring bag on the ground near the door with a crowbar next to it.
So he just dismisses the person on the floor? Rather odd thing to do when you (presumably) wake up in a hospital. How does he know he's a doctor? Is he dressed as one? Say so. A short-haired man in grimy doctor's wear sprawled facedown on the ground, occasionally admitting a groan. Seeing no movement, I continued quickly glancing around in confusion.

The heart rate monitor was still beeping steadily and I was getting really annoyed, so I grabbed the needle that was in my arm, and attached to the monitor, and pulled it out. A sting of pain shot through my arm as I slowly pulled it out of my skin.
You should reword this. Saying you pulled it out of you skin twice is redundant. I grabbed the needle in my arm and slowly pulled it out, a string of pain shooting through my arm. Blood oozed from the puncture and slowly trickled down my arm.

There was a drop of blood that pooled at the hole in my arm and slowly began to flow down my arm only to stop a few inches down and begin to harden.

That's one hell of a short time for blood to congeal.

The doctor began to groan louder and then as the pain stopped I could hear the monitor emitting a loud high pitch noise that was starting to hurt my ears.
I got up to look at the draw string and as I stepped forward with my left foot and when I tried to pull my right foot but there was something holding it back. I looked back and noticed that the doctor had reached out and grabbed my ankle. I fear I kicked his arm releasing his grip and I jumped back against the wall.
The doctor began getting up and I noticed that his whole front was covered in caked dried blood, his skin was a pale white saturated in olive green, his eyes were covered in a greyish white film, his left cheek was cleaved off just hanging on his face with the cheek bone sticking out partly chipped, and his left arm seemed to be fractured in several places. His right arm had been propping his body up while he got his legs under himself. This was one of my more horrified moments in life.
Quite of lot of things in here are oddly worded (I fear I kicked his arm; this is one of my more horrified moments) and you have a run on sentence.  Once again, so the protagonist just ignored the guy face down on the floor groaning until he got up as a zombie? Rather peculiar.

I stood up and
...and what? You've just stopped in a middle of a sentence.

----

Your writing tells, rather than shows, and that's the main problem. It's informative in the way a manual is: it merely says 'things are like this' without adding anything, but it isn't even that informative. How does the protagonist feel about the things he sees? How does he react to events that occur? Think of all the senses, as well. Does he smell the decay of the corpse, sickly sweet like rotten fruit? He observes the room. Well, what does his see? For all we know he might be in R'lyeh rather than a hospital.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: September 17, 2014, 07:14:40 am »

Sorry lots of typos
I'm probably going to re write that while chunk today

Turns out writing a story while taking notes isn't the best idea
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 17, 2014, 09:44:59 am »

I'm new to this, and I thought I could write a story. Critique is of course appreciated.

Spoiler: Part 1 (click to show/hide)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #888 on: September 17, 2014, 10:13:20 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
sarcasm

*ahem* Very mysterious, looking forward to the next part. A few spelling errors here and there but overall pretty okay. Nothing really happened yet.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: September 17, 2014, 10:20:32 am »

If any of you thought me writing a story meant I'd stop writing poetry...
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: September 17, 2014, 10:38:05 am »

Revision
Will continue updates

and yes he had been hearing the heart monitor, this is a continuation of other short posts I've made

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 17, 2014, 12:02:16 pm »

Then put 'em all together.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 17, 2014, 12:16:48 pm »

thought it would be easier to critique one paragraph rather a paragraph at the end of a series of writing

Noel.se

• Bay Watcher
  • Always lurking. Always watching.
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 17, 2014, 04:22:59 pm »

Thank you for the critique! Here is part two. I'm sorry to post two different chunks in such a short time span, but I just happened to have more time today than I expected. I also included more white spaces, it just seemed a bit messy to me.

Spoiler: Part 2 (click to show/hide)

Here is the revised version of part 1:
Spoiler: Part 1 (click to show/hide)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: September 17, 2014, 04:48:05 pm »

If any of you thought me writing a story meant I'd stop writing poetry...

I absolutely love this one. In fact, I seem to love all the poems you write.Curse your poetical superiority!  ;)

Also, here's something I'd really like someone to look over. It's my personal statement for UCAS, and I know that's not quite what this thread is about, I'd still appreciate the help. My preferred courses would be English with Creative Writing or English and History, so the Personal Statement had to accomodate both. I have, of course, removed place names :P
I don't think it's quite complete. I have enough characters left over with which to work if I need to add to it. This is my first time writing a personal statement, so I'm a bit nervous about handing it in, even if only as a draft, tomorrow.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 17, 2014, 05:00:54 pm »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 19, 2014, 06:51:08 am »

Seems like the thread may have enough attention on it to restart the prompt thing again.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #897 on: September 19, 2014, 02:28:19 pm »

Nice suspense and storyline, but watch your tenses - you're jumping between past and present, which is bad.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 20, 2014, 05:42:00 am »

'More and more silent' seems a very strange way of wording it to me. To me, something is silent or it isn't; maybe it should be 'more and more quiet' or 'quieter and quieter'.

Double-check your 'where's and 'were's.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 21, 2014, 12:26:02 am »

Ooh, this looks fun. I've been drafting my first 'serious' attempt at a story this year, and I'm starting to think it's sounding okay. I need your best criticisms to knock me down a peg and remind me I'm still a novice at this! :D Mind if I throw you guys an excerpt?

Spoiler: Excerpt proper (click to show/hide)

(Edit: Actually spotted a couple of annoying problems as I was reading my own post, hah! Sorry if you caught the 'old' one. I'll leave it alone now.)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:37:08 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 130