Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 296640 times)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #90 on: February 06, 2012, 12:45:24 pm »

Whoah, I've had a stupid day. I'm an epitome of a great writer, if you consider this day. First, I kept waking up during the night psyched up for the visit to the psychiatric clinic I'm going to. Then I had to not eat in the morning. Third, they took an ample amount of my blood for analysis. Fourth, I came home tired and excited and didn't really know what to do with it. Fifth, I wrote about two lines of dialog. Sixth, I feel like I've horribly wasted this fine day and I've binged on some crunchies just now, I want to sleep but I hate to go to bed.

Yoink, I propose a scientific experiment. I personally see my computer as the best place to write (maybe that's related to intelligibility of my writing on paper), but I guess you should include other places, too. Take 15 minutes (with an alarm clock), an arbitrary time of day and one of your prospective writing places. I guess the result of the experiment will be determined by how much you have written in each place and at each time. The experiment should be repeated several times, otherwise it wouldn't be scientific.

The idea is not to force yourself to cram as much writing into those 15 minutes, but to write as much as you feel like. In theory the amount should increase by itself over time.

Just a half-baked idea. (Or maybe not. I think I actually stole it from one... or several books on writing). Also, don't forget the option of waking up 15 minutes earlier than usual. If only to test it.

Also, Wilfor, you're a cool dude.

I may have better had... Maybe I should have written this in a blog, or something. But I don't have a blog. :(

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 06, 2012, 01:34:44 pm »

I like to make notes and thoughts on paper, then later go write them up.
Writing it on paper just doens't work for me, but the notes help more than writing notes on a computer.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2012, 01:50:40 pm »

Yeah, always write stuff down. Not because you always produce brilliant ideas that need to be preserved for posterity. But because it helps clear the clutter in the head and straighten your ideas out. Right now I'm of opinion it especially applies to brainstorming. You need to figure something out about your story, don't just think about it - write your thought process down. Especially dumb ideas. Your mind is going to keep coming back to them unless you put them down on paper.

Maybe all "you"s and "your"s should be replaced by "I"s and "my"s in this post.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2012, 08:02:13 am »

And...before I put off writing once more, here is my (very late) prompt story. I've got a major part wrong...I can't see it for some reason after re-reading it all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:-\

This is the product of rushed work...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2012, 08:24:04 am »

I would offer something but it's 12:23 at night so I'ma wait until tomorrow to write.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2012, 02:28:12 pm »

It was a great story except for one thing. I think you used bit to many adjectives and likenesses (Is that even a word?). Don't get me wrong, a lot of the likenesses (Goddamnit that feels strange to write) were brilliant. It's only that it made the text a bit hard to read.

My personal opinion only though. Take it as seriously as you want.

Edit: Just got done with another few pages of Eric the dwarf.

Please don't hold back to from telling me if there's something wrong with it. I keep getting this suspicion that I'm just stringing random sentences together, hoping that they will form a consistent story somewhere in the end.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 04:43:55 pm by Kattaroten »
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2012, 10:03:43 pm »

Actually I have some questions about eric: 1.) in the first scene was he seeing a man fight a dwarf or a man fight a man? 2.) when eric passed out in the machine room was the seige still going on? 3.) will you introduce another character?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2012, 11:11:02 pm »

I can say Katta, that your writing has VASTLY improved in syntax and phrasing since you started on this thread. Eric's becoming one of my new favourite forum characters. :P

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2012, 11:58:45 pm »

So I started writing something, I'm pretty sure it's actually the longest thing I've ever written. This was written without a spellchecker, and I haven't proof read it at all. Also I have no fecking clue what I'm doing grammatically when it comes to writing dialogue (fucking conversations, how do they work?).

Anyway, this is the prologue, and part one.

Spoiler: Prologue (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Part one, Maggy (click to show/hide)

So.... any advice on how to make this less awkward?

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2012, 03:55:26 am »

@Urist McScoopbeard
1) Eric saw two men fighting eachother in the first scene.
2) Eric doesn't know if the siege was still ongoing so neither do I xD
3) Yes... But it's frickin hard! I have no idea how he's going to meet this new character and I have no idea how or why this one will become more permanent.

@Reudh
Sweet! That means quite a lot to me, considering the nature of this forum xD

Also, great story Pnx, a bit stuttery at parts but still great. Try reading it through and wedge some transistory (What is it with me and strange words lately?) sentences between the ones you've already written. Maybe it'll give it a bit more flow...
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 04:29:28 am by Kattaroten »
Dwarf Fortress: You have a team of hundreds working for four years to make a game where you save the world again. We have one guy for four years make a near-infinite world generator, write the physics,generate histories,form detailed descriptions of every human, elf, dwarf, and goblin generated, caverns, and huge randomly generated monsters made out of who knows what. You. guys. suck.

Hybrid

• Bay Watcher
  • Strife M.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 18, 2012, 03:05:06 am »

Posting to watch now.

I'm thinking of writing a short in my spare time and get helpful criticisms. Also, my English isn't the best (but hey, it's not my native language), so increasing my vocabulary would be very useful for me.

Just making sure about this; those who aren't mentors here can comment others' work or not, in the form of constructive criticism?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 18, 2012, 06:25:43 am »

Everyone can comment, mentor or student alike.

((Thanks for bumping this btw, it got lost in my newbox for some reason.))

Also, unsolicited request:
It was a great story except for one thing. I think you used bit to many adjectives and likenesses (Is that even a word?). Don't get me wrong, a lot of the likenesses (Goddamnit that feels strange to write) were brilliant. It's only that it made the text a bit hard to read.
I need more criticism.  ;D

@Deadmeat1471

Spoiler: Criticism (click to show/hide)

---
@Pnx

Spoiler: Prologue (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Part one, Maggy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Criticism (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:08:44 am by Tiruin »

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2012, 08:52:46 am »

Sorry if this seems stupid... What the hell does unsolicited request mean in this context? I tried looking up the definition for it, but I couldn't find it.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2012, 09:10:12 am »

I was being pretentious there, sorry. I was asking for more criticism in short.

Kattaroten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2012, 09:15:41 am »

Haha, no problem :D I wish I could be more specific but I can't, I'm just trying to say what I experienced.

I'm sure someone more experienced will step up and offer some better criticism :D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 130