Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 301194 times)

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #495 on: December 12, 2012, 12:29:07 am »

Sounds like a good idea to me! 

Although, I do have to admit that I'm behind on my DF lore right now and I know nothing about Spearbreakers other than hearing the name here and there.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 12, 2012, 02:44:38 am »

Absolute behemoth of a community fort that began as sequel to Syrupleaf. Now in its tenth year. 400+ pages, a huge canon that accompanies it written by multiple authors, an alternate reality fic by Splint, an RTD, a brief idea floated for a radio play of it, and stuff like that.

Also Holistic Spawn.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 12, 2012, 04:48:25 pm »

Wait, you mean as in spawn of Holistic Detective?  0_0

Also, holy cow that is massive, I don't think I'll ever have the time to catch up with it all...
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 17, 2012, 07:16:15 pm »

an eight day slumber, Scoopbeard? Wow.

Ya, sometimes I get cold feet...

anyways, after many days of procrastinating and cold feet-er-ing I decided to post that poem I said I'd post.

"No present existed.

I would escape for hours, for days.

This is how you forgot the cold.

The first time I read a book, I lived another life,
the reality which I had always taken for granted now became the most remote fantasy,
it was like forgetting the disappointmnet and the difficulty.

I dreamed of the future, dreaming of ideals and success.

I used these fragments to weave more dreams, better dreams, new realities.

I placed and re-placed details upon details and made a wonderful game."
-Escape

No present structure exists in the poem I guess, hell im not good at poetry, but it recounts my younger days as an avid reader of fantasy.

As for writing a story and breathing life into my creation, I find more and more that I have trouble finding the right words. I'm just so... dry, if you tried to read an essay of mine and weren't getting payed I would think you'd rather have your teeth pulled.

EDIT: this poem has somewhat evolved from its original form which is basically quotes from Gerda Weissmann (Holocaust survivor) interspersed with quotes from me, I have in the process paraphrased and replaced words.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 07:18:42 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

CrucialCore

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 18, 2012, 11:52:46 pm »

Umbra
It's a short story. The focus is mainly the setting. But I feel it is far too wordy. Especially because so little is going on.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 24, 2012, 11:28:33 am »

I decided to hold off on that other story, it's a little too ambitious for me right now.

I'm thinking about writing a short screenplay as a joke and an exercise in dialog, characterization, etc:

The Christmas Dinner - An extended family meets on Christmas Eve for a dinner.  Nothing happens, it's basically an unwatchably sappy soap opera with no serious conflicts, where everyone wins.  They exchange presents, characters who don't like each other for various reasons put aside their differences, etc.

And that's when the wendigo comes.
Shoes...

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 24, 2012, 01:32:02 pm »

I got a question. How do you write? Do you write randomly and set it straight later? Or do you try to write everything right at your first try? Do you try to implement the ideas that you think of while writing or do you have a strict idea set before writing? Do you try to explain everything the 'narrator' sees or just give the reader what is required?

I carefully write what I intend to write first. When I finish a chapter (or the whole story if it's shorter than 5 pages) I read it quickly and see if it's engaging (which is very important for the first chapter) and interesting. I try to put myself into the reader's shoes and treat the story as just a simple reader. If it's too boring, wordy, and if there is too many boring "imagery" stuff in the story, I cut them down. Sometimes I don't even tell how a character looks like but have his appearance, and sometimes backstory, told during the story. Like, a character sees an old buddy while walking on the street and I throw in some kind of a flashback sequence where the character remembers something specific about her buddy. After they meet, her friend makes a remark about the appearance of the character, like "Hey, I have never noticed that you were this short without your heels." or something like that. Dumb examples but you get the idea.

I also tend to have a lot of ideas while writing and I try to implement them, which sometimes creates problems.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #502 on: December 24, 2012, 03:21:55 pm »

It depends. I probably do extensive planning for most of my stories, but I've also written quite a few, of significant length even, where I outlined not one iota. Both approaches can be fun. Outlining lets you develop this intricate world and plot where everything fits together just perfectly, but not planning allows you to just enjoy the ride, almost in the way a reader would. I do think it is important to always be injecting new ideas into a story, though, at least for me. Otherwise I have a tendency to get bored with what I'm writing. I try to surprise myself.

However, I do my absolute best not to reread, other than what's necessary to get myself back in the mindset or to refresh myself on the details, until I'm editing. And even then I try to do that as long after the actual writing as possible. It's just hard for me to judge the quality of what I've written until I've gotten some distance, which usually takes about a month or two. I can usually find problems with the details otherwise, but the big picture will elude me.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

schrocko88

• Bay Watcher
  • What's up homie?
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 24, 2012, 03:42:41 pm »

My stories never get far enough to need a plan. I just write until I get distracted by something else and usually never come back to it. Bad characteristic, I suppose. 
-_-
Add magma? Why the hell not?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 24, 2012, 04:07:04 pm »

However, I do my absolute best not to reread, other than what's necessary to get myself back in the mindset or to refresh myself on the details, until I'm editing. And even then I try to do that as long after the actual writing as possible. It's just hard for me to judge the quality of what I've written until I've gotten some distance, which usually takes about a month or two. I can usually find problems with the details otherwise, but the big picture will elude me.
I see what you mean. It's difficult to read your own work while you are completely aware of everything and it's also difficult to find someone willing to read thousands of words and give constructive criticism. Maybe I should just keep writing and reread when it's done. I'm going for a long story (it's around 7,000 words right now) so I get too afraid since if I make a mistake, it may create a chain of mistakes.

I also do extensive planning for my story, like you mentioned, but even after writing pages and pages of backstories, possible plot twists, information about the setting and whatnot (which will not be revealed to the readers, of course), I tend to change my mind or think of even better ideas while writing. I also use this to find ideas. While daydreaming, I imagine myself writing the story. While I'm playing the story from my head, I find a lot of new ideas.

@schrocko88, you just need to find an interesting plot and some free time. Sometimes I leave a story abandoned for a month and suddenly write like 1,500 words in a day when I feel like it because I just fall in love with my plot. I can't stop myself from daydreaming about it and writing the ideas I found while I'm in the class. Sometimes I think of like 3 possibilities for the fate of a character and think about what should I choose for a few days, rather than just choosing one and writing it. I had a lot of projects which I abandoned later. It's really rare for me to like a long-term project and keep doing it. If you don't like what you are doing, you just can't bring yourself to continue doing it.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #505 on: December 24, 2012, 09:04:20 pm »

I see what you mean. It's difficult to read your own work while you are completely aware of everything and it's also difficult to find someone willing to read thousands of words and give constructive criticism. Maybe I should just keep writing and reread when it's done. I'm going for a long story (it's around 7,000 words right now) so I get too afraid since if I make a mistake, it may create a chain of mistakes.
Well, go back and read if you're in doubt, but keep in mind most of the mistakes you're going to make are gonna be really minor, the kind of stuff that will be easily picked up by editing. I mean, I can't say I've never forgotten a major plot point before, but that was only after letting the story sit for weeks and even then it was pretty readily salvageable. Just keep your notes close at hand, and read a bit of what you wrote the day before every time you sit down, and really keeping rack of things isn't too big of a problem.

My stories never get far enough to need a plan. I just write until I get distracted by something else and usually never come back to it. Bad characteristic, I suppose.  -_-
I have the same problem. My solution is to write furiously so that I finish quickly but not so much that I get tired of writing, and to constantly find ways to keep the story exciting for me, usually in the form of "twists" in the loosest sense of that word. I also try to cut anything out that I'm dreading writing, whether it be because it's boring or too difficult.

But do keep in mind, and this is something I've been struggling with lately, not every story is worth finishing.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 25, 2012, 11:54:15 pm »

I was wanting to give myself a bit of help staying on the writing hump for my NaNoWriMo novel, so I went ahead and made a google doc spreadsheet that you can use to track your writing over a period between 1 and 100 days. This is the first rough draft, so issues are expected. Check the second page for the chart.

Link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuVIx_dGFiP0dFFxVW9XVm1NWklzQklzcENOajI5QXc

Feedback is welcome!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:18:26 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Mr.Zero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: January 04, 2013, 01:52:21 pm »

Hello guys.

I was wondering if i could receive some tips or guides regarding more varied writing. Because often i feel when i write something that i use the same words too much which make the story a bit dull.
Durrr..

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #508 on: January 04, 2013, 03:34:57 pm »

I think that's something that everyone struggles with. For my part, I try to constantly be reading things that are going to expand my vocabulary, or at the very least, will have very different vocabularies from eachother. I find that the words I use most in stories tend to be words used strikingly, or commonly, in whatever it is I'm reading at the moment. The same is true of other things, actually, like plot devices and character tropes, so I think a varied reading diet is important to varied writing in general.

I also try to adapt more technical, obscure, or archaic terms to metaphorical usages that still sound good or are understandable, and to make sure that I'm not just tempted to use exotic adjectives, but nouns and verbs as well. Still I find that there's a core set of words I tend to use regularly, but knowing what those words are is half way to avoiding using them.

Really though, unless you're ok with having a large vocabulary in the text (which can seriously deter readers) there's not much you can do, because there are only a few thousand words you can use that most people are going to follow and that doesn't leave room for a whole plethora of synonyms.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 06, 2013, 11:47:49 am »

Don't just go through a thesaurus though. You can often tell when people do that, and it looks terrible. Make sure any metaphors or similies are appropiate - if you're writing a medieval fantasy don't write that someone hits like a train, for example.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 130