Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 291592 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #1785 on: May 07, 2018, 07:44:43 am »

There are no jarring gaps in the narrative, nor confusing paragraphs except the second, where it is unclear how Garland is holding his sword over the man's chest, if they are both standing, or who the man is. Even now I am not sure whether the Chair was on his knees or lying on the ground.
Surely this is mainly irrelevant?

For a moment, Garland comes across as murdering brigand as he is looking for a different weapon to kill his victim with. Had I not read “Oh, also, on the Knight-gets-passionate trope: have a Garland” I would have assumed that he was a brigand and then I would have had a sudden stop to wonder if a “Parliamentarian Knight” was equivalent to a vigilante or a rebel.

The exposition of who the Chair is slowed the story in a way the exposition about the Parliamentarian Knights did not, which was relevant as Garland was delaying his actions to consider the conundrum he was in as a Knight. It is better placed elsewhere, either at the beginning, the blade he held over the Parliamentarian Chair's chest, or ahead when he calls him Sir Chair.
“the Chair cut off, and Garland opened his eyes” seems odd to me. I think it is meant to say that the Chair stopped because Garland looked at him, but the the is not capitalized and it makes “cut off” a dialog tag like said, so it reads like the Chair speaks and afterward Garland opens his eyes.
The Chair spoke. Then trailed off, fear sort of being implied. Then Garland opened his eyes, his contemplation interrupted.

The Chair might have moved his hand quickly, but why did he have the chance speak a few sentences? Did Garland stop lunging? The Chair seems overconfident that he will be safe despite enough time passing for Garland to just kill him.
I wouldn't have thought this was problematic. The Chair has crushed the crystal, so knows the Constables are coming. Garland has seen the crushed crystal, so there's no point in him continuing to lunge towards him. By lunge I don't mean with his sword - more a quick attempt at grabbing. Probably should have made that more apparent.

“Garland suspected that this had something to do with the boot he had driven into the man’s plump, vulnerable belly” is a strange tone shift. It is indirect and a hindrance to the building action.
Good point.

“The casual nature of the throw” The Constables seem to take the Chair being held at sword-point quite well, waiting to act until they are all in place, to the point of throwing an incendiary over the Chair while there other Constables opposite the thrower who could be hit if Garland ducked.
Oh, that definitely needs addressed. To be fair, the Chair is behind Garland, and I sort of envisioned the Constables hugging the left, right, and front walls, but that's by no means clear.

I still am not certain to what degree the fragmentary sentences are stylistic, but it reads awkwardly at times with constructions like “Garland flicked back his silver hair. Coldly considered” where the period is better replaced with a semicolon, or a dash if it is meant to be abrupt
Definitely stylistic.

Thanks very much for the critique!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Aylokat

• Bay Watcher
  • Powered by sauerkraut and sleep deprivation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: May 07, 2018, 11:00:10 am »

Surely this is mainly irrelevant?

The implication is different. I first imagined the Chair to be lying on his back, with Garland holding him down with a boot so he could cleanly cut the Chair, whom he did not want to scramble away to a weapon. In such a scenario they had already fought (as much as the Chair could fight) and Garland won, which I had thought was why the Chair had spit on his chin, as opposed to ignobly slobbering at Garland in terror. If the Chair was on his knees, then he started begging for mercy without bothering to struggle, knowing that Garland’s unnoticed entry into his chambers left him no other viable choice. This makes the Chair look like a massive coward, contrary to a power-hungry madman who tried to fight a Knight.

(Hmm. I just now considered that Garland was holding his blade to the Chair’s neck, rather than vaguely above him in preparation for a swing.) There is a difference between decapitating a guy on his knees and just stabbing him on the floor. Not much of one; practicality outweighs decorum, especially after breaking into a high-security building. But the idea Garland of killing the Chair with an “organized” execution seems more formal than a simple finishing strike, perhaps fitting a Knight better.

The lack of knowledge about who Chair is means the situation has to be accepted by the reader without fully understanding the importance, and the situation is not as powerful as it could be if the reader immediately knew the danger Garland was in by threatening the Chair in his own chambers, with guards a few moments away. If this was known, then the Chair crushing his crystal would cause dread in anticipating the soldiers.

Quote from: Th4DwArfY1
[Aylokat quote]
[Another Aylokat quote]

If this second point is meant to refute two statements of mine with one another, it is too clever for me, heh. (Oof, do my posts actually read like impenetrable blocks, or is this the text equivalent of listening to your own voice? Pfft, hehehe.)

A minor thing I have noticed, reading the story again, is “You are not wanted any more.” Is the intention of the Chair to say that no additional aid is needed from the Knights (any more to mean any further), or, what I had imagined from Garland’s anger, that the world has moved on and that the Knights are outmoded by Constables and lost their value (anymore to mean any longer)? The first option seems too polite. Then again, you would be polite with a sword looming over you.

The Chair spoke. Then trailed off, fear sort of being implied. Then Garland opened his eyes, his contemplation interrupted.

To me, cut off implies haste, and the Chair halting his pleading and Garland opening his eyes being in the same sentence, while Garland breathing out is not, made me draw the conclusion that one caused the other.

I wouldn't have thought this was problematic. The Chair has crushed the crystal, so knows the Constables are coming. Garland has seen the crushed crystal, so there's no point in him continuing to lunge towards him. By lunge I don't mean with his sword - more a quick attempt at grabbing. Probably should have made that more apparent.

I did not think Garland was lunging with his sword, that was clear enough as it is Garland that is said to be lunging and not his sword. I did think he was awkwardly stooping over the prone Chair, being unable to stop him with a kick for some reason. What bothered me was that only after two paragraphs it is revealed that the crystal summoned guards. Before that point it seemed that with the Chair’s sudden confident speech about Garland being obsolete, he had struck Garland with a magical weapon. I thought “too late” meant he was too late for his lunge to connect with the Chair at all due to changing circumstances, not that he was too late to stop the Chair’s action.

Definitely stylistic.

Thank you. Your writing is easier for me to understand now that I properly know the boundaries of its style.

Thanks very much for the critique!

I enjoy reading your writing, talking about it also (all the better if I manage to grasp it afterward!), so I am happy to go on doing so. I almost feel like I should be thanking you—again. It is how I honestly feel, so I might as well: Thank you, Dwarfy, for continuing to write and posting it for wider appreciation.

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: May 07, 2018, 11:07:37 am »

Thanks for providing some extra research for me, Dwarfy! I will be noting all of that down with the rest. I'm just gonna do a short critique here about some inconsistencies in sentence construction and perspective, which I think are pretty major problems:

Garland flicked back his silver hair. Coldly considered the blade he held above the man’s chest, then slowly withdrew it. This is actually incorrect use of English, and looks like it may have been some slip of the finger or auto-correct issue. It can't really be claimed as a stylistic choice. It should be:

Garland flicked back his silver hair, coldly considered the blade he held above the man’s chest, then slowly withdrew it. This is a far better opening sentence, and in the first example we have a subordinate clause as the second sentence, which is a big no-no.

Coldly considered the blade he held above the man’s chest, then slowly withdrew it. This only makes sense as a standalone sentence if Coldly is the name of your character. As it is, you have a subordinate clause with no subject, which doesn't make sense and will confuse any reader. Of course, keep this style if you wish, but I think you are going to confuse a lot of readers if you do.

Secondly we have some problems with perspective. We are nicely settled into the POV of Garland, through sentences like: There was no doubt; the world still had its share of fools.

And paragraphs such as: Yet what a prosperous world it was! Garland should know. A Parliamentarian Knight saw all the undesirable sides of reality in his pursuit of justice. It was not an enviable job, but how desperate he had been to join, back when his heart had held hopes of blood and vengeance and passion! It had taken some time to achieve those ambitions, but afterwards the world had become… peaceful.

Okay, cool. We are inside Garland's head, in a limited third-person perspective, which is how we see all his thoughts and reflections on the past. As a reader, I'm now comfortable. But then we come to: Relief cloaked in suspicion filled the Chair’s eyes...

Wha-what? What does that even mean? This is so jarring to the narrative and so unrealistic that I have to make a point of it. What does relief cloaked in suspicion actually look like? And how would Garland be able to recognise it from the way the Chair's eyes move? Perspective is something that has to be consistent throughout the story, otherwise it breaks the experience for the reader. In a third-person limited view, which is strongly established at the beginning of the story, there is no way Garland can know about these little mind games the Chair is making, all from how his eyes look as Garland stands over him. Not unless Garland is psychic, which has not been established anywhere in the story.

Aside from that I think Garland is a solid character with a lot of agency, and his characterisation is strong. For me, however, it is just another Brandon-esque Epic Fantasy Hero - namely, an unrealistically competent fighter who inflicts whole heaps of bloodshed against the bad guys. I actually studied all of Sanderson's writing lectures a year or so back, and found them hugely useful. Since then, I have read widely within the fantasy genre and without, and I have to say, his writing is hardly anything special and is actually pretty juvenile. I've had a grand time reading his books, but they are just entertainment, really.

I don't think of Taylor Swift or Justin Bieber as the pinnacle of their genres, much the same as Sanderson isn't the pinnacle of his, just because he's sold a fuckload of books. I think he actually reinforces a lot of problems within the fantasy genre that stop it from being taken seriously. I also think that if you want to stand out as a writer, there has to come a point where you say 'fuck it,' and just make your own path. As Neil Gaiman says, nobody can write the story you write. If you constantly try to ape another's style, you are limiting yourself, and you will only ever produce paler imitations of whatever style it is you are imitating.

I will reiterate: Sanderson's writing lectures are fantastic for beginner writers. Past that, those same writers need to grasp what a story is, then throw everything they've been taught to the backs of their minds and just let it flow. That's the only way to write a great, original story.

EDIT:  Perspective doesn't have to be consistent throughout the story. You can shift and change and do as many weird things as you want. Yet, it does have to be clear for the reader. Otherwise you'll lose them, and they won't enjoy the story.

EDIT2: I've just realised that perhaps relief cloaked in suspicion means something like relief mingled with suspicion - in which case it isn't so perspective-shattering. I would still say it's a lot of precise detail communicated simply through a character's eyes. Imagine looking someone in the eye and being able to tell their precise emotional state. That's what Garland does in this story. Seems odd when you think about it, no?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:04:10 pm by Levity »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Imic's tale.
« Reply #1788 on: May 07, 2018, 11:21:29 am »

A lone figure walks alone. Around her, all the world is dark. Slowly, up a long, winding path, she trudges ever forward, never stopping or looking around her. Finally, she reaches the end of her path. It's a small valley, the centre taken over by a large lake. Two sides have tall hills, one side drops down into the darkness, and the last goes up, into a tall peak. At it's bottom is a dark rectangle, almost invisible in the gloom. She walks around the lake, the path getting rougher with each passing step. Occasinally, old bones, weapons, tools, and vehicles of war poke out of the soil.
       Finally, she reaches the base of the peak. In the darkness from afar, it could not be made out, but now, it is as clear as can be: There is a tall door here, made from solid rock, and fastened with metal bands. At it's centre is a large, four pointed star.
       She walks up to it, towards a small pile of stones at it's base. The ground around it is littered with skeletons, rusted armour, firearms, and broken tanks. She takes off her hood, revealing a lined, scarred face, and long braided hair, dark with streaks of grey. Slowly, she takes a pack off her bag, and takes out the skull of some demonic beast, with long broken teeth, and four eye sockets. She turns around, and throws it into the lake. Slowly, she takes a loose stone from the beach, and carefully adds it to the pile. She stamds motionless for some time, before walking away, and starting a small fire. After some time, she gets out a bedroll, and goes to sleep.
In the morning, she is dead.       
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Imic's tale.
« Reply #1789 on: May 07, 2018, 12:02:44 pm »

A lone figure walks alone. (Unnecessary repetition. We know a lone figure must walk, by definition, alone.) Around her, all the world is dark. Slowly, up a long, winding path, she trudges ever forward, never stopping or looking around her. Finally, she reaches the end of her path. It's a small valley, the centre taken over by a large lake. Two sides have tall hills, one side drops down into the darkness, and the last goes up, into a tall peak. At its bottom is a dark rectangle, (of the lake?)almost invisible in the gloom. She walks around the lake, the path getting rougher with each passing step. Occasionally, old bones, weapons, tools, and vehicles of war poke out of the soil.
       Finally, she reaches the base of the peak. In the darkness from afar, it could not be made out, but now, it is as clear as can be: There is a tall door here, made from solid rock, and fastened with metal bands. At its centre is a large, four pointed star.
       She walks up to it, towards a small pile of stones at its base. The ground around it is littered with skeletons, rusted armour, firearms, and broken tanks. She takes off her hood, revealing a lined, scarred face, and long braided hair, dark with streaks of grey. Slowly, she takes a pack off her bag, and takes out the skull of some demonic beast, with long broken teeth, and four eye sockets. She turns around, and throws it into the lake. Slowly, she takes a loose stone from the beach, and carefully adds it to the pile. She stands motionless for some time, before walking away, and starting a small fire. After some time, she gets out a bedroll, and goes to sleep.
In the morning, she is dead.   (Why?) 

More sentences than the ones I've put comments for could do with reworking - some of them are rather clunky.

The's not really a connection between her death and the rest - the connection between a bunch of skeletons at the door and her dying is weakened by the mention of armour, firearms and tanks, which suggests it's a old battlefield (or battlefields).
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: May 07, 2018, 12:16:05 pm »

I did notice most of the spelling mistakes, but I didn't want to edit it after I had it posted.
Having too many sentances in too little space is something I've had trouble with for a long while.
Thanks for the feedback.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: May 07, 2018, 12:41:27 pm »

Also, Dwarfy, if you have any more information regarding Anglo-Saxon Britain I'd love to hear it. It seems you really know your stuff. Useful topics for me are: food and health, gender (which you've already helped a ton with), crafts etc.

In regards to my critique, I'm sorry if I come across as harsh! These are all issues I've had with my own writing, and you are of course free to accept my pointers or disregard them. It's all up to you! :D

Levity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: May 07, 2018, 02:26:09 pm »

Seeing as I've been dispensing my opinion on other people's writing so liberally, I thought I'd post an old chapter of mine on here:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For me it has the usual problems: generic character archetypes and roles; oversimple writing; too-quick pacing; cliche cliche CLLIIICHHEE!
I'm okay with the technical side of the writing. There's a few bits and bobs I'd change. It's just too simple, no depth, not enough poetry. Though, my style has developed since this piece, which was written in January.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: May 07, 2018, 02:51:37 pm »

One's greatest critic can often be themselves.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Aylokat

• Bay Watcher