Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 291528 times)

SaintofWar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #1815 on: May 28, 2018, 02:01:28 am »

I've been having a bit of a writer's block lately. Though, not so much as a block, as more of a... shall we say... inconvenience. I've hated lore dumps since forever, but trying to fit a high fantasy story with elements of world-building in a short story scope is I am sure possible, but a very tricky path to tread. This is my attempt, and I appreciate any advice or critique on how to perfect it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 02:10:42 am by SaintofWar »

Aylokat

• Bay Watcher
  • Powered by sauerkraut and sleep deprivation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1816 on: May 28, 2018, 08:28:57 am »

I've hated lore dumps since forever, but trying to fit a high fantasy story with elements of world-building in a short story scope is I am sure possible, but a very tricky path to tread.

It certainly is possible, though you might have to heavily rely on the reader to make inferences, who when given two pieces of information is expected to deduct a third, a fourth, or a fifth piece. To make it work in a short story, only the world-building essentials for the scene should be mentioned, which is advisable in text of any length, and that might make the reader interested to learn more, rather overwhelmed by information. It is easier for someone to understand the world-building if it is shown in practice, to eliminate any misinterpretation of semantics.

In this case, with the protagonist’s core beliefs under scrutiny, it would be quite reasonable for the two characters to argue about how the world works. It would make the background information a point of drama and heighten the premise of the conceptualizing event being a major deviation.

My critique:

SaintofWar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1817 on: May 28, 2018, 11:05:57 pm »

I think at some point I wanted the stuff between the dialog to be the protagonist's internal voice, rather than an IC explanation of the world. I also definitely wanted the story to be a debate between the two, but I suppose Rain got too easily convinced by Redemption's explanation about why the woman in question could do what she did. Either way, I still failed at what I tried to do, and even things I didn't think would be criticized. The sentence fragments and the inconsistent past and present when Redemption speaks was on purpose to give him character and to make him seem inferior to Rain. Perhaps that was a bad idea. I do agree however with everything you've said, and I am grateful for it.

I think I will try again, perhaps later today, to do the same scene or the next one, with less hand-holding and more personality. First time around I was so worried about things not making sense that I think I explained it to the point where it makes even less sense. But this was good practice for me.

Thank you.

Edit: Attempt #2:

Edit2: Posted as reply instead of edit.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:36:38 am by SaintofWar »

Aylokat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: May 29, 2018, 02:10:01 am »

Yes, as a writer finishing a scene you should be confident that you did all you reasonably could do in realizing your ideas and making your work intelligible. An unsuccessful attempt is just a step closer to success if you learn from it and gain greater ability.

I think it would be best to do the next scene, as it would build momentum and give new opportunities to detail the setting, and that making Redemption’s dialog purposefully odd would work if it was made clear to the reader that it was indeed deliberate, perhaps by a comment from Rain or a thought of his.

SaintofWar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1819 on: May 29, 2018, 02:38:36 am »

I'll try redoing the scene first to see if I managed to stay away from the pitfalls of the first attempt.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I liked the first version better. I think it had more mystery to it which could easily become 'weight' in subsequent chapters, or if the story was longer. But this one I feel like I better accomplished what I set out to do in the first place: To be heavy in lore, but not burdensome. But I also have two branches of storyline to go from here-- either whatever Redemption is doing, or Rain's report. The way this version is written, it is not clear who exactly is the protagonist of the story. There's reasonable precedent in the flavor of the characters, that the point of view could shift to either one of them, whereas in the first attempt, I think it was pretty clear that Rain is the protagonist and only point of view. I think that is a double edged sword, because it also suggests that Redemption is clearly a 'side character', implying perhaps, less 'character' to his character. I also think Rain's report would be far more boring than Redemption's 'setting the stage'. To summarize: I think this version is more interesting, but the previous had more impact or potential impact.

I eagerly anticipate further advice!
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:48:45 am by SaintofWar »

Aylokat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1820 on: May 29, 2018, 08:52:06 am »

I agree that this streamlined version does not have quite the same appeal of the original with its detailing of the powers, but if Redemption is followed in his organization of education for mundanes, this world-building would become the plot.

I assume that anyone would think Rain is the protagonist still because it is written in the first person from his perspective. Not to say that that is a urgent reason to refrain Redemption from being in focus. The story could follow both characters, for any amount of time, short or long, perhaps with Rain's parts condensed to keep the pace up.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1821 on: May 29, 2018, 11:01:44 am »

Oh, sugar. I thought I had responded to Aylo's previous critique. With that in mind - thank you. At least the issues you picked up seemed to mainly be small grammatical things rather than greater narrarive issues.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

SaintofWar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1822 on: May 29, 2018, 11:09:56 am »

A side effect of me writing this without proof-reading or even an idea of where it is going, other than having done the scene once already, is the excessive use (and misuse) of the dialog tags. It ends up being closer to my speaking style, which has quite a few pauses and emphasis, that I almost subconsciously attribute in some way through (improper) grammar. I will definitely try to pay more attention to the dialog tags.

I am a bit unclear on what you mean exactly by whether or not it should be But the Record?. It was my intent to portray the scene as there being a silence as Rain stops pacing. Maybe the tag at the end is misleading, as after the pause Rain asks about the status or condition of the Record, at which point Redemption replies. If I were to edit it now, I am sure I would be able to do it justice.

I also like your suggestion following suggestion to use a single hyphen with spaces instead of double hyphens. I think it's less distracting.

Some lines, like this one, will benefit from the accompanying clause from being a separate sentence, as it gives the clause more emphasis and force.
For example: “How is that possible?” I asked. It was impossible, I knew that well, but my conviction still faltered.

I did it the original way for haste and flow. I thought about using two sentences as well, but I thought the flow was better, and more rushed/tense, if I keep it to one. Obviously, in it's current state it's left wanting. Could've done it better.

I agree with all the other remarks.

Thanks a lot Aylokat. I think tomorrow or tonight, I'll try the next scene, and hopefully it will show progress. I feel like I learned quite a bit.

EDIT: As for why Rain does not refer to Redemption by name internally or in dialogue was a style choice. It was supposed to build on the mystery including later when his full 'name' is announced. I think it creates interest in the character, and in a way, I suppose, it also detaches the characters from the wishes of the reader. I think what I am trying to say is: I am on purpose trying to keep the familiarity with the characters low, not just between each other, but the reader and characters as well.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 11:14:16 am by SaintofWar »

Aylokat

• Bay Watcher