Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 121 122 [123] 124 125 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 291503 times)

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #1830 on: June 09, 2018, 09:35:11 am »

No, I understand quite clearly. It was written in some haste but I see some basic mistakes I've been making explained. I could feel some things weren't quite right but I couldn't pin them down. I'll edit it later and maybe make some progress on relearning grammar and sentence structure. Thank you for the input.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: June 13, 2018, 05:59:47 pm »

Spoiler: The Farmers' Revolt (click to show/hide)
Over one thousand five hundred words of fantastic peasant revolt.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Aylokat

• Bay Watcher
  • Powered by sauerkraut and sleep deprivation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: June 15, 2018, 08:42:40 am »

An estimated (haphazardly) five hundred words of critique and over a thousand words of peasant revolt–related remarks:

If I made a mistake I welcome any corrections, and if you want me to clarify or elaborate a point I would be glad to.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: June 22, 2018, 01:56:59 pm »

I'm finally going to post however many hundreds of words this is, but sadly I can't write without inspiration whether it's a nightmare or a daydream or whatever, so none of these are full stories - just whatever I can scrape together.  Once upon a time I got bursaries to nice schools for my writing, but I haven't received any feedback in a decade, so I'm not hoping for much (though 500  words of critique would be appreciated, Aylokat :P)

Each different topic is spoilered to prevent it from taking up all the space, and to make working out what goes where a bit easier. P.S. As they are based on whatever inspiration happened to strike, the tone and nature of these vary wildly. Don't read Jakob's Interview if you're in a good mood. Hell, definitely don't read it if you're in a bad mood.

Spoiler: A Quest Denied (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pascal defends himself (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jakob's Interview (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 08:37:53 am by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
  • 'What do I care for your suffering?'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: June 24, 2018, 02:14:16 pm »

The first story from a series that I'm writing right now. I'm planning to write several short stories that share one main character. This one has approximately over one thousand and two hundred words. It's a story that introduces the main character of Tales of a crow knight. Written over the course of two evenings, it's bound to have something that should be fixed or completely changed.

Spoiler: The silver crow (click to show/hide)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: June 24, 2018, 04:41:11 pm »

Speech is not done like - this -.

It uses, well, speech marks like "this" or sometimes people use 'this'.

There's a lot of grammatical errors, in addition, but I don't have time to go through all of them now.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: June 25, 2018, 02:29:41 am »

The fun thing is that I'm never making any mistakes like these when writing my assignments. I'm studying english philology at a university and all of them have to be written in english. During this examination session I had a writing exam that checked vocabulary, grammar and ability to write coherent texts. I passed this one with flying colours, getting a 100% score. But when it comes to writing something in my leisure time, I'm making lots of mistakes. I guess that I don't really care that much when the work is not graded. There's also the thing that my writing quality drops considerably when I don't write for a long time in my native language.

Using - for dialogs is my bad habit, I write them like that in concept versions of my texts and replace them when editing later on.

This text wasn't checked for any mistakes at all. I just slapped a concept here and called it a day. I'm more concerned with the story and if it's a good introduction to the character (giving the most basic information as the rest is going to be revealed in next stories) as I was going to rewrite it in my native language from the beginning.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2018, 02:40:20 am by Dark One »

Aylokat

• Bay Watcher
  • Powered by sauerkraut and sleep deprivation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: June 25, 2018, 09:39:58 am »

I'm finally going to post however many hundreds of words this is

And here is the critique of at least a thousand words. This critique was a lot more effort than I had first imagined, and it was a lot harder to read through the works as well. On account of the difficulty I did not read through it all again, but I reckon that the fragmentary nature limits the negatives of potentially missing a line.

Spoiler: Rowanas, various (click to show/hide)

This text wasn't checked for any mistakes at all. I just slapped a concept here and called it a day. I'm more concerned with the story and if it's a good introduction to the character (giving the most basic information as the rest is going to be revealed in next stories)

It would be helpful for anyone giving critique on your story if it was prefaced with the request to only look at the story, that way it would focus the efforts of the one giving critique on what you want and make the task easier. You could also fix the mistakes and make it easier still. That would be quite welcome.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: June 25, 2018, 09:52:35 am »

I'm sorry, didn't wanted to sound like a d****. I'm going to rewrite it and post an updated version once I'll have enough time.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: June 25, 2018, 02:47:28 pm »

To anyone reading my last works, you can skip to the bottom of this post if you like :D

Aylokat, thank you for your reply and for the effort that it represents. I take your grammatical criticisms and comments on redundancy to heart (I used it's instead of its in one place, I'm genuinely ashamed).  I can see where I've wasted space resaying things I've already said, and intend to modify the originals ASAP.  I've used dashes to indicate emphasis primarily because these are generally typed up on a Notepad file kept for this purpose and the italics tags don't work on Notepad, so it was copied across without modification.
I'll look at the placement of dialogue interruption, as yes, some of it is too clunky. I tried to find alternative places for some of those and it ended up feeling too much like a child's book ("blah" said john, "blah" said mary, "blah" said john again), but perhaps the interjections are simply too clunky to work wherever I put them.
Fewer commas, not less commas :P (we can argue this for ever if you like).

A few word choices and sentences, especially in the nightmare with the chittering darkness and A Quest Denied were made to try and more exactly replicate the styles they were associated with, Cosmic Horror and Sword and Sandals respectively. I realise that I made a lot of assumptions in the escape portion of the nightmare based on how I imagined it might feel to be in such situations - the pain fading from initial agony to dull throb, the renewal when you actually have to use the foot again and whatnot, but I can definitely rework those passages for clarity without compromising on pace and tone.  Other changes, such as the one regarding the purpose of the chittering chamber were made for brevity, as the alternative is to have to explain that the chamber was constructed for the purpose of carrying sounds of agony from the exhibits to the zoo owners. I think you'll agree that it would end up being atrociously clunky. I contend that a moan may be brief, but will at least accept that I probably don't need long and drawn out.

British colleges run from age 16 to 19ish, it's a British college not an American college, which would be a British university. As a result, his hosts are adolescent. More generally, if the narrator considers that they are not yet fully adult it's perfectly valid to describe them as adolescents, even if they are above the legal age of majority.

In Pascal Defends Himself, the passage regarding him outrunning the fat little fuck is speculative. Pascal considers that if it came down to a footrace he'd easily beat the kid, but that this is not an option presently. in this sentence, outrun is the correct word for the tense. I outran him, I could have outrun him.

In the Appointment with the Emperor's Advisor, Pascal notes that the advisor's laugh is strange because it is not strange at all, which he assumed it would be given that the advisor in question is an electrical elemental, and that it seems natural to assume some strangeness in such a situation. The accidentally in the next section needs moving though, definitely.

So, in addition to the issues you've presented, what made these difficult to read exactly? Were they just unenjoyable reads? Did you have any highs or lows in your consumption of my assembled works? What did you think of the various premises, characters (such as you could've gathered in such short passages) and the like? If you had to pick which ones to throw away forever, and which ones might be worthy of examination as a path forward (however little an advancement or slim the talent might be) for my further writing? Should I just quit and satisfy myself that the gap between school and now has robbed me of any creative spark I might once have possessed? Y'know, general feedback on the feel of it all.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 07:45:01 am by Rowanas »
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Dark One

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: June 26, 2018, 05:07:07 pm »

Made a few changes, but it probably won't be that much better. An overall review of the text with emphasis on the story (which is mediocre at best) would be greatly appreciated.

Spoiler: The silver crow (click to show/hide)

Aylokat

• Bay Watcher