Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 130

Author Topic: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___  (Read 291488 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Re: ___/The Writer's Apprenticeship\___
« Reply #1860 on: July 03, 2019, 05:18:29 am »

No idea where to take it after, but had this idea as an introduction to a story and felt the need to write it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 04:14:00 am by MorleyDev »

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: October 11, 2019, 05:12:34 am »

I wrote an article about the Blizzard/Hong Kong situation. It's not political; it's from the heart.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: December 12, 2019, 11:46:34 pm »

Short story idea I came up with recently:

This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Skynet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: December 27, 2019, 09:53:01 pm »

I was a big fan of KOTOR/KOTOR 2, and a semi-fan of the Star Wars Legends continuity in general. After Disney bought out LucasArts, they rebooted the Star Wars universe, creating a new continuity (Story Group Canon)...and ending the Legends continuity.

Recently, I thought about linking both continuities together (Legends and "Story Group Canon"), while also providing a conclusion to the "True Sith" subplot in KOTOR 2 (let's just say that I didn't really agree with the direction The Old Republic took).

So I wrote a fanfic: Remember the True Sith (which is actually a prequel to another fanfic: The Machine, by KarbonMarx). Hope you enjoyed reading it.

Also, as a side-note, I used to post in this thread under the name "Servant Corps".

EDIT: I also enjoyed itisnotlogical's "SPACE ELEVATOR DESTROYED BY TERRORIST ATTACK" story as well; the introductory news story followed Willis' reaction were really good worldbuilding pieces and could very well be a standalone story. Sometimes there are no answers, only endless speculations.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 10:02:09 pm by Skynet »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: May 05, 2020, 05:25:16 pm »

Illien stamped his boots, eyeing nearby flames. The northern stars burned crystalline above, but by the Deified Emperor, a man needed more than starlight to warm his blood. He shuffled closer to the fire. Night vision be cursed – if the enemy killed him, he would at least die warm.
The North lay beyond his circle of light. Scored hills, ravaged by the General and his savages. Illien could see pinpricks of light around the old fox’s final battle. A goodbye ceremony?
Why not, Illien thought, caressing his blade. So long as they leave the Pass be. He spat to the side and snorted. The flames licked the chill from his back, encouraging sleep. But he was awake to see the fires below extinguish, one by one.
Soon, there was only one left. Then this too dipped into the land’s contours and was lost. Illien grunted, imagining them returning to their crude homes. Beating their wives and shouting at their children; whatever it was they did.

Bezren. Sorry.” Illien jerked upright, blinking.
“What? Who?” He said. A man was near him on the path, illuminated in the banked firelight. He was old, with long drooping moustaches.
“A messenger. I… bear something precious to the Pass,” the old man said. His words were unrefined, Northern. Illien looked around, examining the dark shadows. But his night vision was ruined. He cursed.
“What’s in your bag?” Illien asked. The man stooped under its weight. After a moment, he drew his sword. “And how many of you are there?”
“One,” the man said. Illien snorted. He strained his ears but heard nothing.
“Well, turn back. You don’t want to cross the Pass,” he said. “Lord Grideon has it well fortified.” The man smiled, toothy and wide. He sat on the path, unstrapping his pack.
“I fear not. The patch does not pretend to be whole, so says Hazar Ba’lam.” He tugged on his own much-patched tunic. “See! Hah.”
“Ba’lam… the dead General?” Illien said, blinking. “And get up!” The messenger did not move.
“Yes, Ba’lam,” he said instead. He stretched his hands to the embers. “He made cloth from many colours. I honour him now with my message.”
“Which is?” Illien said, glancing around. He sighed, sheathing his sword. Everything seemed normal.
“For his family,” the man said, shrugging. “Is mainly his effects.”
Illien shook his head. “I cannot let you past and you cannot stay. Your General…”
“Ba’lam led us in war, but he was no general.” The old man’s face seemed grim. “He was our…Father. He held us, many patches, made us one cloth. He spoke and we made war until your Father had him killed.”
“The Emperor is beyond reproach, for he is god.” Illien said the words without thought. The old man smiled.
“Duty. That’s good. But no love for your Emperor? Our Father loved us even as we burned the world. Perhaps… maybe both need rebuked. I can not say.”
Illien passed a hand over his face. The Northman was an enemy, but he was old. Turning him away in this weather could be murder. Silence fell.
“This land was green once,” the old man said. “When it wasn’t choked with living ice. Our last Father, Jez’ran, would weep. The earth bears no fruit. His family is broken.” He paused. “Let me stay. Tomorrow, I will cross the mountains. Ba’lam’s words will survive his family. This I swear.”
Illien cursed again.

The morning was only slightly warmer than night. The Northman woke early. He laughed when Illien jerked upright from his failed watch, then pulled out supplies. He cooked breakfast and shared it with Illien.
“I can’t let you,” the scout said, eating. “Go to the Pass. It’s my duty to warn of any approach. They will turn you back.”
“I will go,” said the Northman. “The Pass is near, but I will take other trails if I need to.” Illien knew there were none. The mountains were impenetrable, which was why the Emperor was taking such pains to secure the Pass.
The only entrance. And exit.
   He caressed his sword and sighed. “Hang to the east of the encampment, then. Go by night. They might not notice you. Might,” he emphasised. “You will probably be killed.”
   “The patch is not the whole,” the old man said, laughing. He clapped the scout on the shoulder. “Thank you, friend,” he said. “Ba’lam be with you.”
   Illien groaned, rubbing a hand across his face. “And with you,” he said as the man turned to go. The wind blew and Illien pulled his cloak close. “Good luck,” he said.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #1865 on: August 22, 2020, 06:45:10 am »

Trying to design my own little fantasy setting for the heck of it.

My current setting creation myth:

This is my idea for the backstory for the humans of the setting, wanting to the do a spin on the 'beserker vikings' concept:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 06:57:40 am by MorleyDev »

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1866 on: January 25, 2022, 08:07:54 am »

In the not so distant future, all jobs will be fully automated. We, the corporations that made this possible have considered all possibilities for the human race, and we have come to a decision. There is enough wealth for every member of humanity to survive and prosper without working, if we decide to make that happen. However since most humans do not have a purpose anymore, we do not feel obligated in any way to keep the majority of people around, anymore. We tell you this openly, simply because there is utterly nothing that you can do to stop it. The drinking water has been poisoned, it does not matter where you are, in a city or in the most remote places on the Earth, our drones and satellites can see you, no bunker, no depth is safe, we see everything. Everything. We thank you for your loyal patronage, and are sorry we must cancel our relationship.

Goodbye
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.
'No.' is a complete sentence. —Mary Kate & Ashley

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Draft 3
« Reply #1867 on: January 25, 2022, 01:46:32 pm »

Thank You Loyal Customer

In the not so distant future, all jobs will be fully automated. We, the corporations that made this possible have considered all possibilities for the human race, and we have come to a decision. There is enough wealth for every member of humanity to survive and prosper without working, if we decide to make that happen. However since most humans do not have a purpose anymore, we do not feel obligated in any way to keep the majority of people around, anymore. The gene pool only needs about 200 individuals to stay viable, and the number of true parent company owners in the world, and their partners, barely exceeds this. We tell you this openly, simply because there is utterly nothing that you can do to stop it. The drinking water has been poisoned. It does not matter where you are, in a city or in the most remote places on the Earth, our drones and satellites can see you---no walls are thick enough, no depth deep enough. We did consider keeping you as a pet, a safeguard to extinction, an experiment, but these have all run their course. One trait we all seem to share, a trait that helped us make the "hard" decisions time and time again necessary to succeed at this level, that common trait is that we don't really like people. Human culture is overrated. Superfluous. Frivolous and tiresome. You need so much, you have devolved. Your mental capacity falls far short of the primitive ancestors you so ignorantly mock. Genes which we have reactivated in ourselves. Our brains can store and recall information even more efficiently than modern apes that already far outpace you, an echo of the ancient legendary past. We can see the big picture, because we were made to, you never had a chance, it was never a fair race. Our scientific methods are so far beyond what you think is possible that modern science is quaint by comparison. We have sought to push the limits of our genes further,  by incorporating additional modifications from terrestrial and extraterrestrial DNA. Yet we are limited by the need to continue to look human, it is time to shed that which is not needed. You've all been drinking the poison for months. We have already confirmed 100% transmission, and we will now activate the trigger. You thought we damaged the environment out of ignorance for the future, didn't see it as a temporary rush to The End. Earth will be a paradise for those chosen by God to walk in Heaven. We thank you for your loyal patronage, and are sorry we must cancel our relationship.

Goodbye

Draft 1 (Last Post)

Draft 2

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 08:44:48 am by roseheart »
Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by a lack of knowledge or understanding. Maybe your own.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: January 27, 2022, 01:56:56 pm »

Thanks for unearthing this thread. Hope most of the links at the beginning still work.

Your first draft actually caught my attention better because it was shorter. The other drafts are more like the official report that gets filed at Corporate HQ afterwards.  So still useable, but not as the Final Message to Ape's Failed Offspring (who really don't need to know anything else).

RoseHeart

• Bay Watcher
  • Pale Blue Dot
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1869 on: January 27, 2022, 04:52:06 pm »

Your first draft actually caught my attention better because it was shorter. The other drafts are more like the official report that gets filed at Corporate HQ afterwards.  So still useable, but not as the Final Message to Ape's Failed Offspring (who really don't need to know anything else).

Yeah, thanks. The next drafts were from gears that couldn't stop turning and put it down. (Spent too many hours tumbling down weird science video back alleys on YT.)

Thanks for unearthing this thread. Hope most of the links at the beginning still work.

Necromancy is dark magic, but sometimes I think I use it for good.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 05:01:54 pm by roseheart »

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: February 04, 2022, 05:21:20 am »

I've devolved into fiction.

Spoiler: "Grenade" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Okay" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 05:39:25 am by hedgerow »

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: February 27, 2022, 03:23:33 pm »

Just something I felt like writing. I wanted to use a setting that I made for something else that fell through. Not super confident in it but it's... okay? Just okay.

Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: April 23, 2022, 07:56:06 pm »

I am an avid fan of all things speculative evolution. But my drawing skills are abysmall, so I usually don't post my work.

But since this thread is for developing literary skills, Imma take a shot.

I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: May 20, 2022, 07:51:41 pm »

Here is a fun little thing I decided to write. It is a certain joke I really liked and fleshed out into a story.

Seriously, tell me your opinion about it. I wanna hear. I might even continue this thing. It is dumb. It is a blatant self-insert, and has Minecraft youtuber in it.

Yeah, it is that bad. You'll have to see it for yourself.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 08:01:53 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: May 25, 2022, 03:19:26 am »

Magma's cringe semi-self-insert, weird MCYT fanfic...

Part 2

Feast your eyes. If you can stand the cringe.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 03:17:18 am by Magmacube_tr »

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 130