Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bug With Doors  (Read 324 times)

cOMMUNISMISFANCY

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bug With Doors
« on: August 07, 2007, 11:43:00 am »

I created an outdoor fortress (No mining at all) and without a pick couldn't dig ditches so I built a huge number of wooden doors to serve as a semi-pallisade.  Anyways, when the river froze up I discovered that by locking adjacent doors to the river, I could continue to build my "wall" onto the ice.  However, when the river unfroze my doors are now floating in water, but do not appear to have changed in any other way.  Not sure if this will be affected in the new version or not, but thought I would share.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bug With Doors
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 01:38:00 pm »

Interesting, too bad you can't dam a river that way :P

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 03:23:00 pm »

Off topic: Can you make wooden statues?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 03:42:00 pm »

This is a combinaison of two already known bugs. First, you can continue to build doors one after another, even without support, if you lock them. You'll notice that if you unlock a serie of 4 doors when you do that, they'll "fall" because they don't have any support left. Pretty much in the same way than if you install a door and dig out the support wall.

The second bug is related to when you have objects on a bridge and you unbuild it, the object will stay "overing" over the water at the same place it was before the bridge was unbuilt, and it will prevent you from building another bridge at the same spot. In your case, the frozen water act like a bridge over the water.

I am on a hot streak... literally.

Ryven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2007, 01:28:00 am »

Two bugs, eh? I only see one (the "objects don't fall into rivers/chasms" one). I thought being able to attach doors to each other was a feature. It's a makeshift way of building wooden walls, since "wall segment" isn't actually a building.

Eagle of Fire

• Bay Watcher
  • Friendly Fire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2007, 02:12:00 am »

I remember reading somewhere in this forum that Toady never intended to have closed doors act as attachable walls for other doors. He is probably the best person to comment on the matter.  :p
I am on a hot streak... literally.

Turgid Bolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Tacticus Grandmaster
    • View Profile
    • http://...
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2007, 10:57:00 am »

Well with the new rewalling feature, "wall segments" will be buildable!  Hooray!  Now if we only had a portcullis to cover that six-tile wide entrance...

Hm, if the doors are fixed in the new version, I wonder if I could build something like a door-fall trap.  It would crush anyone underneath, and also block the path.  A series of these could block a big entrance.  Not quite like  a portcullis, but close enough.  Oh, and maybe you could dam the river if you dropped enough doors (or stones or whatever) in the river, since they would sink to the bottom and pile up.  I guess we'll see.

"This is an engraving of a Dwarf and a Mandrill Leather Skirt. The Dwarf is raising the skirt."
Multiplayer Adventure Mode, the (now defunct) DF roleplaying game.