Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: After Protocol (Beyond Protocol Private Server)  (Read 7749 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
After Protocol (Beyond Protocol Private Server)
« on: January 17, 2012, 04:45:02 pm »

This was posted about in another thread, but that one kinda died down due to the first server going out so I figured this one deserved a new thread. Was hoping someone more knowledgeable about the game would post (I never even heard about it during its release), but since nobody has I'll cobble some information together :P

The game was a subcription game that went live back in November 2008 and ran for a few years, but in April 2011 it closed down. Instead of letting it die they released the game as open source on sourceforge in May. Recently two folks who played it since beta testing picked it up and started a free server (Anxcon and SirParadox). It's still a pretty new thing, but it's stable and they've been steadily working out bugs that were left in by the original devs and changing it for the better. It's been picking up steam and growing pretty well (40 players in the last few days I heard Anxcon say yesterday), but it wouldn't hurt to get more new players.

Link to the game:http://www.afterprotocol.com/index.php Thats their website, it isn't very pretty since they don't have a web guy, but registering there makes you a game account and you can grab the game updater there.

Basically it's a highly customizeable space MMORTS where you build colonies, research, mine resources, build fleets, fight other players, hire agents to spy, etc - with plenty of room for diplomacy and intrigue. You have to design all your own stuff - buildings, ships, metal alloys, engines, weapons, radars, armor, etc. The design interface can get a bit clunky at times, but it's got some real depth in the design system. I've been having fun with it.

Heres some screenshots from the game's marketing files on sourceforge (look the same ingame, im just too lazy to make my own :P):

Spoiler: Planet surface (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: A battle (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Diff planet (click to show/hide)

There are some more good images in the other thread here.

You'll start out in a tutorial system, and can play there a bit to learn the game before self destructing to get to the main system.

Also, the game has a faction system with potentially huge research bonuses for fitting people into the slots. I believe this page has the current info (correct me if I'm wrong). You can rank up, but can't rank down - so if you want to fit into a faction you have to limit yourself (-edit- was wrong about this one, you can rank down - it just takes 7 days after losing your lands).

The biggest bonuses possible are from the bottom two ranks, but you can't have more than 200k to rank to governor or 500k pop or you'll rank up to overseer. You can still get a 50% research reduction at overseer though, and all that requires is that you keep from ever getting control of a planet (control being a majority share of the population) which should be safe if you stick with low population cities. Populations of 100,000 make good money because you can charge 80% tax. King also gets a nice bonus, but he has to have up to 5 overseer or below people in his faction.

-edit- Woops, I was wrong about the title thing. Apparently you CAN derank down after losing your lands, you just have to wait 7 days.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 01:43:30 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: After Protocol (Beyond Protocol Private Server)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 10:16:48 pm »

Yea, its free. It was subscribe, but that company went out of business and released it open source. This is a private server run by some of the volunteer devs that they had on while the game was running. I think one of them works at a hosting company or something, so they have good servers.

I have no idea how it'll be long term, but it seems fun so far.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:19:23 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 10:47:55 pm »

if we can get a Bay12 guild/support group to save me from completely losing awfully, color me interested.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 10:52:27 pm »

theres a few people from the board already playing

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 01:21:57 am »

If you start, you're probably better off selecting to not start in a spawn system - right now they're set to 10 people per star instead of 5, and for some reason they have it set to autowar when you meet new people, so older players are murdering the new ones before they even get started so they have the system less crowded :o

You can restart easy enough, but it's still pretty crummy for new players.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 01:28:34 am »

Holy crap, you weren't kidding about the horrible site design  :o

Still, the game sounds amazing. Is there a Bay 12 alliance/guild/corporation/whatever?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 01:34:42 am »

Downloading now.
Looks pretty awesome.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Therolyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 08:06:25 am »

I once subscribed for a decent period of time in the past. Might just go and start playing again...

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 03:31:40 pm »

I hope it will have more than 2-3ppl online like jocan server had. I will start next week.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 04:01:13 pm »

Usually has around 10 people on lately. Right now it's at 7. Seen it as high as 20. Wouldn't hurt to have more, though.

-edit- Lotsa folks in my system now, so probably shouldnt have any more :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:43:51 pm by Paul »

coolguy1351

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 04:44:49 pm »

Very interested in joining this. Downloadin' now.

coolguy1351

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 06:13:57 pm »

My download keeps failing at downloading a texture pack. Anyone else getting this problem?

Trevasaurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 07:43:09 pm »

Yeah my download has stalled at Retrieving Textures\nfac.pak...

Im going to leave it running for a while and see if it starts since this looks like a pretty sweet game.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 08:00:08 pm »

My download worked fine. I'll ask the devs whats going on.

-edit- He restarted the update server, might fix the error. Has no idea why its failing that file.

-edit2- If it still doesn't work, heres a link to the file (I just zipped mine up and uploaded it) http://www.filedropper.com/nfac

Just put it in your Meshes directory.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:12:28 pm by Paul »

Trevasaurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 08:36:55 pm »

Its working now :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4