Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Hollywood Must Be Destroyed  (Read 27781 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Hollywood Must Be Destroyed
« on: January 18, 2012, 04:50:21 pm »

In light of recent political developments (the proposal of laws like SOPA and PIPA) it has become clear that Hollywood and the music industry (and more specifically the MPAA and RIAA) have become a threat to our freedom whose continued existence can no longer be safely permitted.   

How do I propose that this threat be eliminated? By collapsing the market for their services through the large scale, widespread production and distribution of Kopyleft ('kopyleft'- deliberately left uncopyrighted/in the public domain by the creator of the work) and Creative Commons materials (in an easily redistributable format whenever possile). Obviously, I cannot accomplish this by myself, and so I am calling upon all of you to write, record, and freely distribute your own songs and films.

I understand that many of you will state that you are already doing this, through YouTube, and that is an admirable start, but sadly this is no longer sufficient and is, furthermore, in danger of ceasing to remain an option should bills such as SOPA, PIPA, or others which may arise as their spiritual successors be passed (and be warned that even if the immediate threat is shot down the greater threat from the RIAA and MPAA will remain). While you should continue to post videos to YouTube and songs to music sharing sites you should also make an effort to distribute them through mediums which are more easily copied and redistributed as we as more secure against tampering and government intrusion. Copy your songs and videos to a DVD or flash drive and have tour friends pass it around between them and copy the content to their own drives, to be further copied and distributed to others in their lives whom you may not know personally.

You can also help more directly by boycotting the latest mainstream movies and by not buying firsthand CDs or DVDs or downloadable music from major labels or studios (only secondhand stuff, if you must buy their products as this is legal, but does not profit the publisher). Instead, try to patronize local musicians, minor labels, and independent artists and filmmakers whenever possible.

Furthermore, if you must patronize mainstream media, and it is almost impossible to avoid doing so entirely, try to give preference to films and bands with at least one actor, director, band member, or the like who has publicly expressed opposition to SOPA and/or PIPA

Do not, however, I repeat DO NOT destroy any mainstream media you already possess. While powerful as a symbolic gesture, doing so would open the possibility of you purchasing new copies of the destroyed media if you have a change of heart, which is directly counter to what we want to happen; Furthermore, any media which you desire to get rid of anyway should be resold or given away to help prevent firsthand sales.                                                 

Please help spread this message. Explain it to your friends and family and/or copy it to other forums. Spread the word. To preserve our freedom, Hollywood (and the music industry) must be destroyed.

Please redistribute this manifesto to other forums.

EDIT: Added sentence encouraging support for local musicians and independent filmmakers
EDIT: Added lines supporting actors, musicians, etc. who publicly oppose SOPA, even if they work for a mainstream company

EDIT: Here is a list of SOPA/PIPA supporting companies. You probably won't be able to completely avoid dealing with all of them, and I don't expect you to, but I ask that you try:
Spoiler: SCUMBAGS (click to show/hide)
Also, if you work for any of these companies, would it be too much to ask you to start really phoning it in with them, (not so much that you get fired, and not when the boss is looking, but still phoning it in)?
(See also my "Please Boycott these SOPA/PIPA Supporting Companies" thread)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 03:39:35 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Hollywood Must Be Destroyed
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 05:48:21 pm »

This is never going to work. I propose nukes/MAGMA.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 06:29:37 pm »

This is already happening. The fact that these kinds of laws are being proposed are evidence of just how threatened the establishment is feeling right now. Wasn't there an attempt a while back to force smartphone manufacturers to include an FM radio in all new phones? I remember Penny Arcade commented on it, and how ludicrous it was. You can almost see the logic from their perspective though;

"Oh god, people aren't listening to our radio stations anymore! They're using the internet! We can't earn any revenue from that! What do we do?"

"Ban the internet?"

"No that's stupid! I know, we'll make them put an FM radios in smartphones!"

"Isn't that kind of redundant what with them having an internet connection and all?"

"... did you say 'ban the internet' just now?"

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 06:34:36 pm »

That is a very unconventional proposal. Like any industry another would take it's place once it falls. Start downloading outrageous amounts, and the ISPs will start gouging. Start burning large amounts of discs and they'll start gouging as well. The fact is that if there is a massive demand for something, the companies in charge of it will start charging more to gain more money. It's the entire idea behind business, and of why people can go into university to learn their strategies.

When a new major movie starts it gains millions from film reel (or a digital format) sales. Millions of people go to see movies when a new one comes out, and even more buy and rent the movie once it's out on video. The fact is that there isn't that kind of demand for kopyleft materials, especially if more and more people start creating it. Because there is no profit to be had in creating kopyleft material, it can't be someones job to produce that kind of music, even if they are spectacular artists. Kopyleft artists would either go broke, or join the industry they were competing against to benefit from their popularity. No professional artist wants to stop making music, but without money they'd be forced to work, eating up all their practice and recording time.

With no profit all media becomes mediocre in time.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 06:37:52 pm »

Okay and good people who WANT to make money in music,television, and film suffer because of a few coparate douches. NO.
We need to change the industry, not "destroy" it.
Not buying movies isn't going to do anything, we need the next generation of directors and producers to change the way people think about intellectual "property".
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 06:50:34 pm »

This is stupid. The industry isn't at fault, but these outdated dinosaur companies like Universal and Sony are. People need the work and I know personally dozens of people who depend on the film and television industries specifically to make a living. So fuck your movement.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 06:52:25 pm »

This is stupid. The industry isn't at fault, but these outdated dinosaur companies like Universal and Sony are. People need the work and I know personally dozens of people who depend on the film and television industries specifically to make a living. So gently caress your movement.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 06:56:17 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 06:54:14 pm »

This is stupid. The industry isn't at fault, but these outdated dinosaur companies like Universal and Sony are. People need the work and I know personally dozens of people who depend on the film and television industries specifically to make a living.However, I will respect your ideas,
QFT and Fixed that for you
You have good intentions, but LOLFREEENTERTAINMENT is not viable media option.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 06:54:45 pm »

Congrats, you just claimed DF is mediocre on the bay12 forums.

I cast summon lynchmob.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 06:57:41 pm »

I cast summon lynchmob.
It's SUPER EFFECTIVE!

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 06:58:08 pm »

Yeah, you know, because the movie industry's shenanigans don't put other people in other industry's jobs at risk.

The automobile put carraigemakers' job's at risk.

Modern boats put the people who shovel coal into the steamboat furnace's job at risk.

Sometimes to make an omelet you need to crack some eggs, Tilla.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 07:00:17 pm »

A little different. In all those examples, one industry replaced another.
Unless the movie and music industries start supplying an encyclopedia that is as convenient or more as wikipedia, it is a step backwards.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 07:00:31 pm »

I cast summon lynchmob.

Your actually kidding right?

Also, yes. DF is in many ways worse then many main stream games. It fills a very small nitch, which is why it is good. Not every game can be super unique though. In fact, most can not.

It is true that most good things are driven by profit.

What omelet? Where? You not making a omelet. You are discouraging innovation and growth! You are make a sandwich. A shit sandwich.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 07:02:57 pm »

No. Not when these eggs are good peoples livelihoods you don't. Criptfiend is correct: what omelet are you making again? The omelet of having no entertainment and losing thousands of jobs?

Other industries have lobbyists who fuck with the system. I'm not seeing much in the way of calls to destroy the Frozen Food industry because their lobbyists convinced senators to declare Pizza a vegetable.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:07:23 pm by Tilla »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 07:06:26 pm »

One man's omelet is another man's grave dust.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7