Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Hollywood Must Be Destroyed  (Read 27752 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Hollywood Must Be Destroyed
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 08:52:42 pm »

Okay and good people who WANT to make money in music,television, and film suffer because of a few coparate douches. NO.
We need to change the industry, not "destroy" it.
Not buying movies isn't going to do anything, we need the next generation of directors and producers to change the way people think about intellectual "property".
Asking money for information is morally rejectable. There are no good people in these businesses because they all profit from a rotten system.

Or at least the justification behind these kind of proposals roughly comes down to that...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:54:36 pm by Virex »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 08:54:47 pm »

Wait, do you mean to imply that morally all information should be free?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 08:56:43 pm »

Wait, do you mean to imply that morally all information should be free?
Well of course. It's art! You're suposed to do it because you love art! Asking money for it would be so many kinds of WRONG!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 09:01:27 pm »

Poe's law just kicked in.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 09:14:29 pm »

I actually know some people who think intellectual property is a bogus concept and should be done away with.

I'm hardly sympathetic to most IP concerns, but I do think artists should be able to make a living off their art, not off novelty mugs and t-shirts. They deserve that much market control over their product, anyway.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 09:18:27 pm »

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 09:38:00 pm »

Okay and good people who WANT to make money in music,television, and film suffer because of a few coparate douches. NO.
Lots of people want to make money doing lots of things. If there's not enough people willing to pay for it, you don't get to make money doing it. It's that simple. Not everyone gets to live their dream. Tough shit, right? Unfortunately, that's the way the world works - in fact, that's the way it is RIGHT NOW. All it means is that a few more pretty faces need to find a different job (and the money people would have spent on their stuff gets spent elsewhere, most likely, employing someone else).

I can't say I would shed a single tear for that.

Because, the fact is - people would still make art. Hell, people would still make movies, and music, even if this industries died. They would still make GOOD movies and music, too! Hollywood =/= every entertainer, director, and actor in the world. Not even close. They just represent the ones who've managed to wrap the law around their little finger and turn themselves into a colossal tumor intent on getting as much nourishment as it can, even if it kills the host.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 09:39:49 pm »

Dear God, you're suggesting to destroy an entire city? What kind of monsters are you?!?

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 09:42:59 pm »

Dear God, you're suggesting to destroy an entire city? What kind of monsters are you?!?
The dwarven kind. I thought this was clear by now.

Personally, I don't think Hollywood needs destruction. Change for the better and a rare interest in something beyond profit would be sufficient. Not that that is terribly likely to happen. :-\
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 09:43:05 pm »

"I've been saying this for years, but nobody listens."
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 09:43:47 pm »

The magma-loving kind.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 09:53:39 pm »

public domain works will simply be gifted to the media corporations. http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/01/18/2247223/us-supreme-court-upholds-removal-of-works-from-public-domain

Man that fucking blows. Now all lobbyists have to do is throw money at Congress to essentially have grant copyright to anything they want. How does this affect things explicitly released to the public domain? Can someone lobby Congress to grant them copyright to something they originally had no right to? What about the original owner's preference? And exactly what venue do they have to contest that decision?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 10:00:05 pm »

public domain works will simply be gifted to the media corporations. http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/01/18/2247223/us-supreme-court-upholds-removal-of-works-from-public-domain

Man that fucking blows. Now all lobbyists have to do is throw money at Congress to essentially have grant copyright to anything they want. How does this affect things explicitly released to the public domain? Can someone lobby Congress to grant them copyright to something they originally had no right to? What about the original owner's preference? And exactly what venue do they have to contest that decision?

No f**king wonder why those idiots really want the bill passed. Hollywood has had a history of buying copyright, just to have the ability to use it later.

All of those objects in the public domain will get shared to everyone in the media corporations, and as such, they wouldn't have to pay for copyright fees.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 10:01:41 pm »

I don't think there is a legal definition of released to the public domain. Technically the copyright holder still holds the copyright, she has just indicated that she will not use it to limit other's abilities to reproduce the work.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 10:11:45 pm »

We have Fair Use. That's as close to a definition of public domain as we really need. And on top of that, we have licenses specifically to indicate that work should remain free and available. The original owner saying they won't contest people's use of the work is not an agreement that Congress can sell their existing rights to the work to the highest bidder. And that's what's crap. If I put a song up on Youtube and say "this work may be reproduced without consent", that should not allow BGM or whoever to ask Congress for the rights to the work so they can then monetize it.

I think about all the free roguelikes people create (not to mention all other software), and the idea that all an industry, with millions of dollars to spend on lobbyists and lawyers, has to do is swoop in to have Congress grant them copyright is infuriating. And that's not even counting the wealth of things from our past that everyone has accepted as public domain, that someone is going to now try to make a dime on.

Seriously, my reasons for finding piracy morally questionable are vanishing by the minute.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:20:58 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7