Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress: UFO Defense  (Read 21560 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress: UFO Defense
« on: January 19, 2012, 02:11:00 am »

I am planning a mod based on X-COM: ufo defense. I'm planning to do all of the aliens, their weapons, and their terror units. I will probably try and do the units from Terror From The Deep also. I probably won't do much past the basic anatomy since the new version promises to allow quite a few interesting things.

This thread also serves a few other purposes, the first is allowing you to suggest things for this mod. The other is me asking for help.

EBM's addition
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shintaro Fago's addition

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 11:06:44 am by Kilroy the Grand »
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress: UFO Defense
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 02:45:55 am »

as dwarfs cant breath underwater, the tftd uns will need to be amphibious.
laser and plasma can probably be simulated by giving high temp ammo or syndromes
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

slawr34

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:50:24 am »

I am planning a mod based on X-COM: ufo defense. I'm planning to do all of the aliens, their weapons, and their terror units. I will probably try and do the units from Terror From The Deep also. I probably won't do much past the basic anatomy since the new version promises to allow quite a few interesting things.

This thread also serves a few other purposes, the first is allowing you to suggest things for this mod. The other is me asking for help.

OMGWTFBBQ
I'm keeping the necromancers busy by feeding them children.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 08:29:30 am »

one thing: FINALLY!

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 01:10:50 pm »

I was wondering if I should make the terror units into cavern civilizations, so you can find them someplace other than seiges and ambushes. What do you guys think?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 01:16:17 pm »

i agree. there should be some left for HFS, though!  ;D

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 03:44:47 pm »

I justed tested my Chryssalid in the arena. A no skill chryssalid, can easily kill a no skill dwarf in full iron armor. The chryssalid more or less opens the dwarf like a can of meat, then snip off body parts. Or it just injects venom into the dwarf, killing him almost instantly. I'm thinking instead of using the standard chitin, I should make it as strong as copper.

Also, at 20 tiles, 20 dwarves with crossbows and iron bolts couldn't bring a single one down, out of 20. When I tested a grandmaster crossbowdwarf, he ALMOST killed one, but the chryssalid closed the distance far to quickly, and lopped his head off. To be somewhat fair, I'm not letting the chryssalids have weapons or armor, because that would be crazy.

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 05:08:45 am »

Ha, with the next version you could get your Chryssalid mutating its targets into a Chryssalid or hopefully close.

Personally I'd throw them all into a single race as castes and have the only male/female caste as a machine creature. They are after all, all genetically created creatures iirc.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 08:06:33 am »

Ha, with the next version you could get your Chryssalid mutating its targets into a Chryssalid or hopefully close.

Personally I'd throw them all into a single race as castes and have the only male/female caste as a machine creature. They are after all, all genetically created creatures iirc.
True, but wouldn't I have to set the litter size to something crazy big? To ensure that each alien wouldn't get out competed.

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 08:48:04 am »

*reads about the testing procedure*

glee!

*a muffled squeal*

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 11:58:24 pm »

I haven't modded in a lot of weapons, but I was thinking of making a material just below the ignition point of dwarves, but slighter higher for for all the aliens

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 02:16:49 am »

Oh, with the transforming syndromes, this will rapidly become made of win.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 02:25:30 am »

Oh, with the transforming syndromes, this will rapidly become made of win.

My thoughts exactly, this will make marksdwarves the only option.

Also, I modded in an "Raw Elerium" as a gem, since I couldn't think of a way to make invaders carry it with them... and I didn't want something silly happening like "elerium-115 maces".

To make most alien equipment you are going to need to refine elerium, then use it with Alien alloys (Which I haven't modded in). For laser rifles I was thinking of using clear glass and maybe aluminium... I could just make a reaction that spits out free ammo for it, but then I'd need to nerf the damage.

StephanReiken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 03:51:29 am »

If you do TFTD's races they can manufacture Zrbite unlike Elerium which can't be crafted. But if you are including TFTD you mine as well let the original races manufacture it too.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 05:15:28 am »

If you do TFTD's races they can manufacture Zrbite unlike Elerium which can't be crafted. But if you are including TFTD you mine as well let the original races manufacture it too.

True I might as well! Now for the alein platic and alloy, I was thinking of making a reaction to turn any two metal into either of them. But I am sadly lacking in experience, might someone care to help?
Pages: [1] 2 3