Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: A Game of Dwarves  (Read 55417 times)

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Game of Dwarves
« on: January 19, 2012, 06:41:15 am »

Being bored of learning public policy theories, I stumbled upon this. Seems to be some kind of "Paradox Dwarf Fortress". Freshly announced too. Copy pasted info below the mark.

A Game of Dwarves

Can You Dig It

A dwarven prince on a quest to reclaim his people’s old country takes the player on a journey through a continent, uncovering the buried mysteries of the Great War. With a combination of strategy and management, the player rules their settlements of dwarves, having them explore the earth and utilize its resources.

Description

The gameplay consists of ordering the inhabitants of a dwarven settlement to dig, build and conduct research in order to strengthen the clan, whilst defending themselves from the terrible beasts from the depths into which they delve. The game generates a unique world each time a new level starts, making sure that the player needs to dynamically adapt their strategies and tactics during a session.

As the player advances, the dwarves will level up and gain new skills, progressing from weak dwarflings to near immortal warriors or master craftsmen. There are also rare resources to be found deeper in the earth that grant access to better buildings and equipment. However, the deeper you dig the more dangerous foes you might unleash…

Features

Explore – The randomly generated maps will always keep the content fresh and increase the sense of exploration when digging through the earth.
Build – The things that the player can build in-game are not only practical, but their designs are varied and pretty too! This allows the player to build the objects they personally think look great, while still gaining progress. Home is where the art is.
Command – With the order system the player can easily control oodles of dwarves simultaneously without the need for extensive micro management.

Screenshots to be found here.

Don't know what to think of it just yet, but I'm keeping an eye on it.
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Game of Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:49:20 am »

Very little information about it but whats there sounds like it could be fun (although probably not Fun).
Heres hoping it turns into a cross between Dungeon Keeper and DF.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 06:51:00 am »

Graphics seem decent. 

If they don't do the usual "big-time game company makes poor but money making game" thing, it would be pretty cool. 

GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

kingofthescots

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 07:58:39 am »

Well, Paradox tends to do a good job on the games it develops. After they patch all the bugs and release a few expansions ;). This looks sort of like DF meets dungeon keeper though. Or at least that's feeling I get.

*edit* Here's a trailer for it: http://www.strategyinformer.com/pc/movies/agameofdwarves/movie.html
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:01:03 am by kingofthescots »

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 08:05:31 am »

Yeah, I do get a stronger Dungeon Keeper vibe from it... which is great. Dungeon Keeper is one of the best games I've played, and this one adds a significant improval - dwarves.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2012, 08:14:25 am »

Well, Paradox tends to do a good job on the games it develops. After they patch all the bugs and release a few expansions ;). This looks sort of like DF meets dungeon keeper though. Or at least that's feeling I get.

Don't forget Paradox is a publisher for a number of developers. Most are really good but a few don't patch at all :(
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2012, 08:57:46 am »

It's basically Dwarf Fortress 3d with a little Dungeon Keeper twist. They have even demanding nobles.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 09:03:04 am »

... Looks like a simpler (prettier) version of Dwarf fortress...
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Thorwaldsson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 09:06:12 am »

Hello Bay12!

I'm glad to see that you are exited about knowing more about the game, first to get some things clear.

Paradox: Is the Publisher, they handle PR the Announcements and stuff like that.

Zeal: We are the Developers, we make the game. Zeal strives to become one of the great names in Video Game Development, so we'll be sure to keep the game patched and stable.

Me: I'm the Lead Designer on the Project :P

A Game of Dwarves: The game is a management/strategy game. While we are inspired by both DF and Dungeon Keeper we don't pretend to be any of the two.

I'll try to stick around this thread and answer your questions, and when the time comes I'll be sure to throw some beta invites to you guys.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 09:14:09 am by Thorwaldsson »

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2012, 09:13:02 am »

Intriguing but I doubt it'll come anywhere near DF's complexity and appeal. That said, if you do - whatever you're doing - half right, I'll probably buy it.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 09:19:33 am »

The secret of DF isn't Fortress mode or its complexity, but the integration between the world and the player (in the fortress and adventurer mode). Most of the fun in Fortress mode can be emulated very easily discarding most of its complexity and quirks. 

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 09:20:54 am »

Intriguing but I doubt it'll come anywhere near DF's complexity and appeal. That said, if you do - whatever you're doing - half right, I'll probably buy it.

There is really no reason to be so condescending. I'm plenty excited about this. Its a game doing a unique thing. Lets all be happy instead of jerks. Also the developers involvement in this thread already is nothing but a good sign. I'll be watching this.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Thorwaldsson

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 09:23:59 am »

You're right about the complexity, about the appeal, we'll see. As said we're not trying to remake DF into 3d that would be a enormous project and the result would just be a copy. That's not something I'd like to make this early in my career, maybe when I've sold out and live a sad life, then I'll make copies of other games ^^

stuntaneous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ungodly beard of awesome]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 09:27:18 am »

There is really no reason to be so condescending.

Whatever, man.

Alright, lets get back to blind hype about a game of which we've only seen a handful of dev screens and barely a mention of how it'll play. That's the way things roll on forums such as these.

Seriously though, I'm keen to hear from the visiting designer. I'd like to hear more details. Many, many more details.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 09:30:03 am »

Oh yeah, its such a hype train around here. 'Cause I've obviously been waiting for this game that I know barely anything about my entire life and I'm not willing to accept anything less than perfection /sacrasm

More seriously, there is no reason to be a giant pessimist.

We've barely seen anything, that doesn't mean we have to assume a negative.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26