Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What the hell is this?  (Read 9942 times)

ayoriceball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell is this?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2012, 06:42:48 pm »

"...And of course Dwarf Fortress."

Honestly, making it 3d is nice, but it's still not Dwarf Fortress ;P
It's not dwarf fortress unless it rips out your eyes, makes you swallow them through your bum, then kills you with your own Crundle.
Don't dwarven ladies know they're beautiful the way they are? They don't need to starve themselves to look like those elven bitches.
"Tigermen are lazy and worthless... but not MY friend, Grroawarul."

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2012, 06:52:43 pm »

What's a crundle?  ???
Feeling down? Click Here!

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 06:58:59 pm »

What's a crundle?  ???
Here we go again...
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

look_of_disapproval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 08:07:24 pm »

It's not dwarf fortress unless it rips out your eyes, makes you swallow them through your bum, then kills you with your own Crundle.

ಠ_ಠ

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 08:26:05 pm »

I actually think this will be a good thing. Not because I expect the game to be a tenth what dwarf fortress is, but because it'll expose people to this style of game, and possibly being more people around to dwarf fortress  8)

Afterall, whats dwarf fortress's biggest audience killer? Not having an easy introduction to such a unique style of game? There you go then.

Edit: silly typo.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 08:40:25 pm by Spinning Welshman »
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 12:21:23 am »

It looks kind of like a cross between DWARVES!!!!, Dwarf fortress.

If you mean DWARFS!?, then this is made by the same company.

According to the article, Zeal Games Studios is making this, and Paradox is publishing it. DWARFS!? was made by Power of Two and published by Tripwire.

What's a crundle?  ???
Here we go again...
Damn it...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 02:12:42 am »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 02:41:03 am »

It looks kind of like a cross between DWARVES!!!!, Dwarf fortress.

If you mean DWARFS!?, then this is made by the same company.

According to the article, Zeal Games Studios is making this, and Paradox is publishing it. DWARFS!? was made by Power of Two and published by Tripwire.

And Power of Two is now part of Zeal.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2012, 08:18:59 am »

Really? Aww...  :(

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2012, 05:21:32 pm »

Pffft!... What do I see here? GRAPHICS???? Bah, this has nothing to do with Dwarf Fortress.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2012, 12:52:12 am »

HexagonalBolts says:01/19/2012 at 16:57
EXCEPT – Dwarf fortress is an absolute mess of coding. I love dwarf fortress more than any other game ever created. But the thing’s a complete and utter mess and the creator will randomly spend whole years piddling away on the most ridiculous obscuritys – it’s been months since an update because he wants to add in more realistic roads and slightly more complicated zombies which will only mostly affect adventure mode players who probably make up less than 10% of Dwarf Fortress players. If somebody got a design team who were properly trained in and experienced with programming (Toady is primarily a mathematician) then by god, they could work wonders with some of those ideas.

MCM says:01/20/2012 at 00:55
Exactly. Dwarf Fortress has been in decline since 40d – the game is actively getting worse because Toady has no idea how to manage a project, is a horrible coder, and has no clear design direction – just a random assortment of goals.

The game is actually less playable now than it was 3 years ago, and all signs point to it getting worse. Serious bugs linger for months or years and the playerbase is too stupid to do anything other than spam their own forums with the same 4 jokes (Urist, !!SCIENCE!!/magma, “elves”, and “happy fun stuff”). It’s one of the most depressing examples of indie development out there, even if it does give us a few good design ideas.

From the comments on that site.

Rebuttal?
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2012, 01:11:50 am »

Wow, seriously? All kinds of terrible right there- none of that is from the dev team's mouth, right?

Just to isolate a single indignity from that trash, the suggestion that Toady doesn't have a "clear design direction" is utter bullshit. Minecraft doesn't have a "clear design direction." Toady has several pages and podcasts devoted to letting the community know about his design decisons.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2012, 06:48:36 am »

Wow, seriously? All kinds of terrible right there- none of that is from the dev team's mouth, right?

Just to isolate a single indignity from that trash, the suggestion that Toady doesn't have a "clear design direction" is utter bullshit. Minecraft doesn't have a "clear design direction." Toady has several pages and podcasts devoted to letting the community know about his design decisons.

Probably those people bashing DF are frequent users of this very forum. I really don't understand all the hostility Toady gets outside of here and sometimes even here. He is as nice as someone can get, he doesn't charge for his games, he always gives feedback to his community. What else could you ask of him?

This has nothing to do with this new game though. All the luck to them, it looks like they have their own ideas going on.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2012, 01:12:54 pm »

the playerbase is too stupid to do anything other than spam their own forums with the same 4 jokes (Urist, !!SCIENCE!!/magma, “elves”, and “happy fun stuff”).
Heh.

Well, you can't say they're completely uninformed.
Exactly. Dwarf Fortress has been in decline since 40d – the game is actively getting worse because Toady has no idea how to manage a project, is a horrible coder, and has no clear design direction – just a random assortment of goals.
Aside from what monk said... we're talking about a guy who has been coding computer games since he was in elementary school. I'm pretty sure he knows what the hell he's doing. I just don't understand these people's rage toward Toady. Is he an egomaniacal douche? No, he seems like an extremely nice guy. Is he overcharging for his "broken" creation? Not unless you consider free to be overcharging. So what is it? Jealousy? Spite?
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2012, 02:33:07 pm »

So what is it? Jealousy? Spite?

I believe that the term you're looking for is "GIT OFF MAH LAWN".

Or, more specifically, "This thing that I used to like but have no real control over has changed a bit and I don't feel like adjusting to these changes so I'll just pretend that they're the WORST THING EVAR so that I can feel like I'm right for not accepting them." It's a fairly common geek affliction, from what I understand.

Whew. Okay, I'm done venting now. Best wishes to that new game's devteam.

EDIT TO THE EDIT: I made an edit, but deleted it because on further inspection it made no sense.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 02:46:29 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies
Pages: 1 [2] 3