Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress on Android :D  (Read 81016 times)

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress on Android :D
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 04:00:07 am »

Well, actually the programs are still written in Java but can call C or C++ code from an external library.

That distinction is irrelevant.  If most of your code is written in C++, it seems silly to say the program is actually written in Java.  You'll be using Java for the entry point and API calls, but other than that the entire program can be written in C++.  Also, the C++ is said to be faster than Java on Android because it gets compiled to native code.

To port the game to Android, you would need to rewrite the entire user interface.  Although, to come to think of it, the UI could use a little rewriting anyhow.

As for performance, it won't be amazing, but it'll work.  I've played DF on an old computer that wasn't much faster than a modern tablet.  Just keep your population low and avoid excessive moving fluids.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 10:38:27 am »

Well, actually the programs are still written in Java but can call C or C++ code from an external library.

That distinction is irrelevant.  If most of your code is written in C++, it seems silly to say the program is actually written in Java.  You'll be using Java for the entry point and API calls, but other than that the entire program can be written in C++.  Also, the C++ is said to be faster than Java on Android because it gets compiled to native code.

Yes, I know.  I just thought it was kind of peculiar that if there was support for native code applications that Android wouldn't support running that directly instead of having to go through a Java wrapper first.  That was the easiest path for the Android developers to take I suppose.

Performance should definitely be better, but based on what I read that might not actually be the case in some situations.  I know nothing of how Android works internally, but I wonder if has some unexpected overhead with native code applications.  They might sandbox these apps or something to help prevent stack smashing or the like, although that wouldn't have a huge performance impact I doubt.

Supposedly CPU intensive apps with relatively few memory accesses get the most benefit.  I suspect DF has quite a lot of memory accesses, but again, I have absolutely no profiler data, so I don't know how well DF could really map to Android.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2012, 01:09:18 pm »

plus it's not that hard to overclock an android.
I do whenever playing 3d games on it, (so no lag) and I underclock it whenever I'm not (less battery usage).
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2012, 03:23:11 pm »

You guys forget one thing...modders.

Since where did RAW editing become unimportant to the lot of you?

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2012, 03:26:44 pm »

thats a loss they're going to have to take for not playing on a pc,

thats always been the case,
games released on PS3/360/PC, the PC version always has mods, the ps3 and 360 version only have updates or additional content packs purchased from game developer.

they ported Minecraft to android,
pc version gets mods, android version doesnt.
plus the game is good enough without mods, I never play with mods.

p.s. minecraft on the android sucks
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2012, 03:32:40 pm »

MEh, well some of us don't like not being able to mod out or in stuff, so I for one do not support this. Although...it'd be good if you could do mods for the thing on Android. To be fair, we're talking hypothetically, in about 5-6 years, we could have the capability to do RAW editing on an Android.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2012, 03:46:47 pm »

i guess it could be possible, if the program installs to a directory on the sd card you could use a file explorer and see/edit the raws.

RoguelikesESP

• Bay Watcher
  • The english is NOT my native language. Sorry.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 12:48:53 pm »

Is just impossible. The FPS will EXPLODE a phone. Is like put GTA V in a Nokia.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2013, 11:51:37 pm »

5-6 years to version 1.0 is highly optimistic.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 05:07:50 pm »

That was quite a bump. I haven't seen this thread in a long time. But yes, RoguelikesESP speaks the truth. The FPS will explode a phone.

bmhathaway

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2013, 09:17:53 pm »

« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 04:53:49 am by bmhathaway »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2013, 05:53:15 am »

Quote from: System requirements for Grand Theft Auto III
•Pentium III 450MHZ
•64MB RAM
•16MB Direct3D Graphics Card
•Directx Compatable Sound Card
•8X CDROM
•500MB Free Hard Drive Space
•Win 98/ME/NT/2000/XP

DF won't even start on that. (RAM shortage) Additionally, it can easily bring a 2.5 Ghz processor to a halt.

But really, the main point is that it's very unlikely that Toady will port DF. No experience with the platform, and no reason to do so.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 06:58:51 pm »

Is there any reason why you can't just use an app that allows you to remotely access your desktop on a tablet? I've never used something like that, so I'm no expert, but I can't imagine any problems other than requiring an internet connection.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2013, 08:27:42 pm »

Dear Valid Dark,
I suggest you look at the DF emulator program, DFTerm3. The author hopes that eventually he can somehow get touchscreen products to be compatible with his program, which will allow you to "technically" play DF on remote items.

What the program does is it forwards the screen of a host Dwarf Fortress game, and you are able to interact with it through your browser. Currently it does not have functionality for playing (you can watch it though) on tablets or phones, though the author is working on that.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 08:31:48 pm by DarkArtemisFowl »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 05:42:31 am »

It's not an emulator, it's a screen reader-and-sender-through-the-internet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3