Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Prosnorkulus the Allslayer! (FLASH MOVIE)  (Read 21346 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prosnorkulus the Allslayer! (FLASH MOVIE)
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2012, 12:33:42 pm »

Nonetheless, I find your lack of open-mindedness disturbing.

I'm actually a very open minded person, but that does not mean that one should accept anything in silence. I think you need to examine the video and its merits more closely, and think about why in the world some people are free and some are not. The foundation of civil society is for individuals to understand their base instincts and if necessary keep them in check. It is in our individual interests to do that. Letting our impulses run free is the road to tyranny. If others need to control us we cannot be free. If we can control ourselves, we at least have a shot at it.

Aristotle said: "I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law." Tell ourselves to go to bed at 9:30 on a school night, and maybe Mom will stop looking over our shoulders all the time.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2012, 02:20:55 pm »

Plus, not a ad hominem argument here, but looking down on people is usually a sign there is something wrong within yourself. For some, publicly judging something or someone else as valueless helps them feel more valuable because they suffer from such a horrible opinion of themselves. Moreover, their view gaining public approval is a sign they fit in better than they thought an helps how they feel about themselves.

Actually, I'm finding that I'm one of two sane people on the DF forums. Ha!

What a desensitized lot we have around here. Maybe I need to chop some people up so I can be a hit with the ladies like Prosnorkulus. Women love a man who needs no boundaries. I don't have to go to bed at 9:00 on a school night! I shall stay up past 10!

Cannot tell if troll, or bad humour.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2012, 02:29:50 pm »

Actually, I'm finding that I'm one of two sane people on the DF forums. Ha!

The other one being Urist McHuman?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Lmaoboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2012, 03:05:54 pm »

Nonetheless, I find your lack of open-mindedness disturbing.

I'm actually a very open minded person, but that does not mean that one should accept anything in silence. I think you need to examine the video and its merits more closely, and think about why in the world some people are free and some are not. The foundation of civil society is for individuals to understand their base instincts and if necessary keep them in check. It is in our individual interests to do that. Letting our impulses run free is the road to tyranny. If others need to control us we cannot be free. If we can control ourselves, we at least have a shot at it.

Aristotle said: "I have gained this by philosophy: that I do without being commanded what others do only from fear of the law." Tell ourselves to go to bed at 9:30 on a school night, and maybe Mom will stop looking over our shoulders all the time.
If your horse were any higher, you'd be cleaning lunar dust out of your hair.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2012, 05:29:39 pm »

Cephalo - the fact remains is that you know crap about the person who made the flash movie - for all we know, it could have been some sociology student writing his thesis on the subject of "Trolling clueless internet denizens with overblown graphic violence - part 1". He may be quite a cool guy who loves pulling people's legs, or he might be a neurotic wreck waiting to happen.

All your "analysis" here is just a bunch of your projections, you just need some mook to show your self-righteous moral kung fu on. The interesting question is - why do you need to? What drives you, what inner fear, wish, or hidden minervertichaikomplex? Lie on the sofa here, relax, and close your eyes. I will slowly count to ten, and when I am done, you will fall asleep...
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2012, 06:20:52 pm »

Oh man I like where this thread is heading now, hang on let me grab some popcorn.  :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 06:24:13 pm »

Oh man I like where this thread is heading now, hang on let me grab some popcorn.  :D
Microwaved plump helmets?

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2012, 06:59:56 pm »

Damn, you're right.
This topic won't go any further without contacting the guy who made the animation.
There are people who apparently think violence is to ban from the media.
There are people who think that seeing violence in the media isn't all that shocking.
There are people who see second degree and enjoy it.

Now, after supporting violence, second degree and catharsis, I'm going to go watch my second episode of My Little Pony.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2012, 07:25:07 pm »

I am quite a bit thankful for the post that told me the contents of that flash.

I think this kind of flash is stupid anyway.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2012, 08:22:52 pm »

If your horse were any higher, you'd be cleaning lunar dust out of your hair.

All your "analysis" here is just a bunch of your projections, you just need some mook to show your self-righteous moral kung fu on. The interesting question is - why do you need to? What drives you, what inner fear, wish, or hidden minervertichaikomplex?

That's a fair question. I was just taking a break at work, and I ran across this filth. When this sort of thing comes up, somebody needs to get on the high horse and be the adult in the room. I just volunteered.

I don't hear a thank you!

EDIT: Gah! the post above this is a thank you. I uh... missed that. And thanks for the thanks.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2012, 09:14:40 pm »

That's a fair question. I was just taking a break at work, and I ran across this filth. When this sort of thing comes up, somebody needs to get on the high horse and be the adult in the room. I just volunteered.

So you justify your position with an argument of authority ("Clearly I am an adult, therefore I am right") and deny that anybody else might have a different yet valuable opinion ("Clearly I'm right, therefore your opinions are pointless").
What a wonderful parent you'll be.

This discussion is going nowhere. We might want to lock the thread before the flaming starts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]