Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Commander (Card game-style)  (Read 2600 times)

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
Commander (Card game-style)
« on: January 20, 2012, 09:04:58 pm »

First of all, I have little to no knowledge of what the hell I'm doing.

With that out of the way, this is my attempt at making a card game-esque situation.

With that out of the way as well, with something reminiscent of a plot.

Now that I have Reduced the potential readers of this to about 5, You should be pleased to know that there is no real learning curve, more like a learning pebble which may be a relief since our minds are most likely occupied with Dwarf fortress.
And 4.

As well as this being like a card game, it is largely based off of Dwarf fortress itself, with several references I have included.
There is actual strategy which I will post, and then explain.

Dwarf: H-8 D-3 E-3 C-Elf/Kobold
Human: H-8 D-2 E-4 C-Goblin
Elf: H-7 D-2 E-5 C- Human
Goblin: H-7 D-2 E-4 C-Dwarf
Kobold: H-6 D-1 E-5 C-Construct/Golem
Golem: H-10 D-3 E-3 C-Demon
Demon: H-8 D-2 E-4 C-Animal man
Animal Man: H-6 D-1 E-6 C-Golem
Elemental: H-7 D-2 E-5 C-None
Construct: H-8 D-2 E-3 C-Human
Kobold Divine: H-12 D-2 E-7 C-Construct

Battleaxe-Mace
Mace-Bow
Bow-Pike
Pike-Crossbow
Crossbow-Whip
Whip-Fist
Fist-Knife
Knife-Sword
Sword-Warhammer
Warhammer-Battleaxe

Now, for the races, H is HP, or health. D is damage, and E is energy. C is critical

The first two are obvious
Energy use- 2 to attack, use 1 to block 1 damage from next attack- max attacks after defending on same turn is one, (max of reduce to 1) spend 1 energy to switch places. Spend 3 energy to swap out for another random card (emphasis on random), the card swapped to can attack (HP does not regenerate if card returns.)
Criticals are quite simple, you just add +1 damage to whatever you attack. Dwarves do extra damage to Elves, 1 extra damage. If it is an  Axedwarf facing a Mace Elf, +2 damage is afflicted. If the Elf attacks the Dwarf however, there is no modification to damage. Unless the weapon it uses is critical against the Dwarf's

What is Switching? Well, each "battle" has only two cards out at one time, each 'deck' has a maximum of six cards. The cards are on either left or right, and can only attack the opposing card directly in front of them. energy is used to switch, only one of the cards needs energy to do so.

Energy does not save up after turns, and always is restored to full at the next turn.

What is Swapping? Well, if you don't like the lineup in the battle, you can swap out the card if it has at least 3 energy, and a random card shall be chosen from the deck. Of course, the card that is swapped to cannot attack. The card though, can be attacked on the enemy's turn.

Kobold Divine? What? That is a specific type of card, master rarity (hard to obtain.) these cards take up a seventh slot in the deck, once all but one cards are left on one side, the master (or legendary, but those have a 2% chance for obtaining.) will fill the empty slot.
These are much more powerful than regular (basic rarity) cards. Uncommons are stronger than basics, rares are stronger than uncommons, masters are stronger than rares, and legendaries are very strong (dragons and the like.) Legendary cards also have abilities, only one master card has an ability, and that is a rare form of kobold divine.

there are also 'packs', to obtain said cards, which are worth 500 "coins" obtained from random battles, and 'quests" which are story-wise. Also, each pack contains only 3 'cards'

I probably forgot something, and I'll edit whatever that is into this later.
EDIT: Yes, Yes I did. Criticals, heheh.

Now, there is some form of plot, but before I get the initial story/game-esque post, who's interested?

One last thing, you all control the same deck. Yeah, have fun with that. (You can appoint one person to control it for one battle, but wheres the fun (and !FUN!) in that?

P.S. the only reason I developed this is because I have a lot of free time for the next week, and I need something to do other than Dwarf fortress.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 09:40:11 pm by exolyx »

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
Re: Commander (CCG-style)
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:58:29 am »

This is a separate post not because I don't know how to edit the last one (I do,) this is because For easy organization of this, and It's kinda a different category than the initial post. It's the card library (the cards you guys own) which will be constantly updated. Also, in case this actually takes off and people want to see what its like to face eachother, They'll have their own section for what cards they own themselves. Anyway, without further ado, the library:

Collective Player Card Library-
Kobold Piker H-6 D-1 E-5 C-Construct/Golem + crossbow
Kobold Bower H-6 D-1 E-5 C-Construct/Golem + pike
Kobold Macer H-6 D-1 E-5 C-Construct/Golem + bow
Haven H-7 D-2 E-5 C- infernal creatures, immune to them as well.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:51:38 pm by exolyx »

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 01:59:07 pm »

Please? Someone pity me, I'm pretty sure it's fun.  I spent hours coming up with the pack system, making it balanced, and coming up with cards... and plot-ish stuff.

Then again, I suppose either not many people care, nor felt like reading this. Either way, nobody seems interested. I just need something to do! 1 whole week, and it cant all be dwarf fortress. Just humor me, at least post comments on why you don't feel like joining. Anything, I really want at least feedback.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 02:04:03 pm »

Please? Someone pity me, I'm pretty sure it's fun.  I spent hours coming up with the pack system, making it balanced, and coming up with cards... and plot-ish stuff.

Then again, I suppose either not many people care, nor felt like reading this. Either way, nobody seems interested. I just need something to do! 1 whole week, and it cant all be dwarf fortress. Just humor me, at least post comments on why you don't feel like joining. Anything, I really want at least feedback.
You don't get answers whitout questions. Start the plot/ game and people 'll react. Now it's just a set of rules.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 02:40:18 pm »

Oh, crap, that's probably a good idea. I should probably do that, I'll do that right now I guess.
Heheh, whoops.
(remember the first sentence in the first post.)

All of you people have whatever reason for joining this group, pooling together enough money to join the Commander League. You all joined under one license, which you all named "Mask" In which the battles you all wear a smooth iron mask, with two eye holes, a bump for your nose, and a slit for your mouth. A little cheap gimmick you all joked about.
The Commander League is a series of fighting, where some of the richer people join and summon creatures from other plains to fight for them, for entertainment and profit of the victor. What isn't known, is that the portals used for summoning are beginning to stir up something much worse.
With this 'backstory' in mind, here is the introduction.

"So, you all are joining under the same license? Eh, I'm not one to judge. Well, time to tap into the portal to begin your starter group, enjoy your kobolds. The beginner league will start in a few weeks, try practicing on other kobolds, or something. Try to get money for a 'pack' before the tournament starts. Don't worry, if you fail, the tournament begins again next year. There are four leagues. Beginner, Intermediate, advanced, and championship. Enjoy your fights."

Army obtained-
Kobold Piker
Kobold Bower
Kobold Macer

So, There are woods nearby, which other novice 'Commanders' train their kobolds, perfect for you.

there, is that better?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 02:51:25 pm »

Into the woods we go.( Also the bay12 community isn't always active, just wait a day an you'll get more reactions.)

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 03:14:40 pm »

Don't spose' we can see the stats for our armybolds? Also, to battle in the woods, for most honorable victory and whatnot, wot wot? Mange swa, san dunee?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 03:17:12 pm »

Fun fact: a spambot ripped this topic off. I can't decide if that's a good or bad thing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 03:35:53 pm »

Alright, The kobold's stats are universal with the ones posted in the starting post (Modified if they are uncommon or rare, don't worry about that I'll post the stats.) By the way, I forgot to mention that for 1000 coins, a 'redeemer' pack can be obtained, which is instead of randomly, you get a random card from the deck of the most previous fight (non-master/legendary). Which is useful since there are a few specific cards that you cannot get from a pack. there is actually a player specific card that you will obtain during the first rounds of the beginner tournament.

But, besides that, time for the actual 'game-play'

As your group enters the woods, there are three people visible, one of them is simply leaning against a tree, flipping a coin. "Hey, you folks, wanna gamble a bit?" Since this is the middle of the woods, and he seems suspicious, this may be very well rigged.  further off, there is a man, with three kobolds (weapons indistinguishable) sleeping by a lake.  A bit closer, there is a man peeing on a rock, singing to himself, since the gambler is in eyeshot this man may not be essentially sane, and the fact that he has three kobolds, each without weapons dancing around him as he drains himself supports this assumption.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
Re: Commander (Card game-style)
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 08:51:03 pm »

I've worked too hard on the system for obtaining cards, and making this simple yet strategic. As well as coming up with parts of plot.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 09:21:33 am »

Anybody? This is actually fun.... (I think)

BunnyBob77

• Bay Watcher
  • The Lurkmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 06:13:29 pm »

agree to gamble.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2012, 08:01:34 pm »

You step forward and tell the gambler that you'll accept his proposition. "Aight, we'll both flip a coin. The winner gets double the bet, fair, right?" You all contemplate what to do, until you all realize that you are all completely broke. You point this out to him. "Well, I'll see ya people later.  I drift around I'm mostly in the forest and the bar. Every now and then I head to other training areas for exclusive betting. I may even do a battle bet, but you all are too weak to know what that is." He chuckled as he walked off. the gentleman was still peeing and the other man seems to be sleeping. Suddenly, a woman starts strolling in, followed by a few kobolds. You did not notice their weapons.

(seriously, once the game really kicks off there will be more things going on. And the tournament will also be energetic, with plot!)

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 08:23:40 pm »

Go talk to the man by the lake, see if he'd like to play a practice match.

exolyx

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 09:15:35 pm »

You all head to the lake. The man is asleep, but one kobold, holding a Pike speaks to you all
"What you people do here? only single commanders do things. Me wakey Kwylald to find out what going on." He woke the man before anyone could speak. He looks up at you all, starting to get up.
"Oh, Are you the people that decided to enter under one name? Hah, that's so wierd." One of you ask for a freindly practice battle.
"Oh, Let me guess, you've never done this before?" all of you nod.
"Well, I'll be nice, If I win, you give me nothing, If you win, you get 100 coins. I'll even use my kobolds. I have my other beings locked up into portal tokens." there's a pause.
"You don't know what portal tokens are, do you?" he sighs
"Portal tokens are basically miniature portals to bring in a creature that you own, each token can only contain one creature. so you still cant carry as many as possible. and tournament rules only allow 6 in a deck. Master cards are a whole new level to this."
"So... you up for an equal match?"
Pages: [1] 2 3