Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: This game is fat.  (Read 6309 times)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: This game is fat.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 02:14:15 am »

DF is a bit crappily optimised. Running a 3.2ghz Phenom 2 black, overclocked a single core thats assigned to DF to 3.8 and if, IF i micromanage every bit of clutter i can retain around 50fps for a 7-8 year old fort. If i dont, 3 years in i drop to 20. It. Needs. Help
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 05:53:29 am »

Nooooope, fat. This is the internet, never admit any blame always blame someone else. Or something else. Fat. I may be trying to run this game on a glorified silicone Triscuit (low sodium!). But I'll be damned before I, or my shitty computer, takes the blame for how well (or not well) it runs this admittedly addictive game which is amazing in its simple complexity or complex simplicity. Still fat, getting fatter. Its obesity might be relative only to the size of my processor/Triscuit. Fat! Huuuge! Or the fact that its 8 years old. Nope its the game! The fat game! Dwarf Fatress!
Thoughts of CaptainBadwheel supplemental, Fat!

This just reminds me of the producers.
"Oh how I hate you!"
DF: "Double! Double! Double!"
"FAAAAAAT!"
*Grabs df's cheeks*
"FAAAAAAAAT!
*Punches DF in the gut*
"FATSO! FAT FAT FATTY FAT FAT! GIMME MY FAT COMPUTER!"
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2012, 06:57:25 am »

I agree in some ways, it does suck some power, When my fps plumeted due to Dwarves swarming and mining and generally being dorfs, I was really suprised.

I have taken all possible measures to avoid a catsplosion, I have never seen it, and by god, i never wish to.
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2012, 07:12:58 am »

My milkshake brings all the Dorfs to the yard...

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2012, 08:08:17 am »

I just had to say it, this game is fat. As in, if dwarf fortress were a person his ass would be so huge it would dominate any room. Plus the guy it belongs to has a tenancy to park himself wherever is least convenient for the rest of the household and be completely oblivious to everyone trying to get around him.
DF in my kitchen:
Me: "Hey DF wanna, like get out of the way so I can make some bagel bites?"
DF: "Sure dude." (does nothing)
Me: "You're not moving."
DF: "Whatever man, you invited me in here so you gotta run at my speed." (scratches ass, continues to do nothing)
Me: "BLUH!" (DFhack: die)
Letting it run in the background is fine, but getting there requires you to maneuver you way around an ass that is registered as a mid-sized sedan in five states and is parked in your bathroom.
If I want to look up something on the Wiki I reduce the DF screen, go downstairs, make a drink, go upstairs, fire up Netflix on my 360, watch half an episode of Top Gear, then look over to realize DF has been crashed to Desktop for 20 minutes. My screen has gone white as my computer is shocked by the sheer amount of surplus power it has gained with DF's demise. Reliability, speed, we have none in the DF zone. Yes, I know it is a game that is in perpetual Alpha test phase meaning there is no optimization or final de-bugging planned in the future but that wouldn't be funny. Would it?
Thoughts of CaptainBadwheel on the 9th of February, in the year of our lord 2012

do some liposuction(turn off temperature, weather, other FPS fixes) or Shock Collar(Priority setting lower)

Edit: Another way of trimming the fat is a -1 no each y and x to your embark.

Its unbelievable how huge a boost, er, loss of fat, it nets you.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 08:25:08 am by Angel-of-Dusk »

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2012, 08:30:12 am »

And Dwarfustus Gloop won his Golden Ticket!
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 08:38:54 am »

DF is a bit crappily optimised. Running a 3.2ghz Phenom 2 black, overclocked a single core thats assigned to DF to 3.8 and if, IF i micromanage every bit of clutter i can retain around 50fps for a 7-8 year old fort. If i dont, 3 years in i drop to 20. It. Needs. Help

After thinking it over for a while, I really think Toady should just remove the 'dropped' stones/trees/plants/etc. and just have removed wall tiles (or trees, or plumps helmets, or...) contribute to an intangible stockpile a la RTS games where you gather resources. The reduced clutter would speed things up considerably, and I can't really think of any way in which hauling stone/wood/whatever around contributes to enjoyment of the game, especially considering the fact that haulers suck up pathfinding processes, which in turn creates more lag.

Lumix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 08:41:46 am »

After thinking it over for a while, I really think Toady should just remove the 'dropped' stones/trees/plants/etc. and just have removed wall tiles (or trees, or plumps helmets, or...) contribute to an intangible stockpile a la RTS games where you gather resources. The reduced clutter would speed things up considerably, and I can't really think of any way in which hauling stone/wood/whatever around contributes to enjoyment of the game, especially considering the fact that haulers suck up pathfinding processes, which in turn creates more lag.

Or perhaps a system, where dwarves dump wood or stones into a chute, and it gets automatically dumped into a stockpile.

And for more fun, Goblins can climb into said chutes and begin attacking from inside out
I know it's fairly common but I killed 180+ people in his civilization before I went after him. I was kind of hoping for something a bit more substantial than a sucker punch and penis theft.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 08:50:10 am »

Dumping into a chute and then a stockpile doesn't remove the clutter, I think. You still have ten million billion rocks. The idea above of making resources work like in RTS's seems convenient, but I doubt it is viable, and it would generate mass tantrums.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2012, 10:55:18 am »

Thoughts of CaptainBadwheel on the 9th of February, in the year of our lord 2012

I'd call DF my lord. Therefore my lord might be fat, but yo' lord is so fat he's omnipotent.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2012, 11:18:24 am »

Well, its actually limited to 2gb i heard.
I would like if it could use more.
Fps death will come slower.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2012, 06:04:16 pm »

Well, its actually limited to 2gb i heard.
I would like if it could use more.
Fps death will come slower.
i have a AMD dual-core 4 GB 1.8 GHZ processor, its not so much code optimization, as item vs tempature vs data points.

for example,

if a smith makes an mail shirt, it now exists at room temp. and was created by Urist McSmith in 106.

if it gets encrusted with gems/image than it now is an mail shirt created by Urist McSmith in 106, decorated by Urist McDecorator, and exists at room temperature.

if a soldier claims it, kills a goblin and gets blood on it, then gets his own blood on it, it is now a mail shirt created by Urist McSmith in 106, Decorated by Urist McDecorator, coated in Gobbo McGobberson's blood, and Urist McSoldier's blood, and exists at room temperature.

if a dragon breathes fire and kills Urist McSoldier, it is now a mail shirt made by Urist McSmith in 106, Decorated by Urist McDecorator, coated in Gobbo McGobberson's blood, and Urist McSoldier's blood, Dwarf grease, and rapidly fluctuates some where high above room temperature.

in short, everything about an item is tracked, remove that, you get higher FPS but lose most of what makes DF special.
Pages: 1 [2]