Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Bronze Colossus Pik Risluosush Luldantura has come!  (Read 22333 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Bronze Colossus Pik Risluosush Luldantura has come!
« on: January 21, 2012, 12:37:05 am »

Faced off against my first Colossus in Dwarf Mode tonight.

First thing I did was call everyone inside into a secure burrow so I could seal up the fort.  But some dwarves didn't know how to move their asses fast enough, and the colossus almost caught up with them.  By the time the last ones got in, and I pulled the lever for the outer drawbridge, it was already on top of it.  One of the commanders of my marksdwarf squads ended up on the bridge and faced off against the colossus, finally driving it back so the bridge could retract.  She put up a pretty epic fight too, there was over 20 pages of her dodging it in the combat log while occasionally chipping away at it with some bolts.  I ordered the other marksdwarves into position where they could fire at it safely on the other side of my defensive moats, but most of them kind of just milled around aimlessly like idiots.  But finally her luck came to an end and it punched her in the brain.

After killing her, it charged off after a kitten and chased it for a few days.  I called up a speardwarf and axedwarf to send after it.  The axedwarf decided to fart around picking up gear while the colossus was occupied with the kitten.  The colossus didn't have much luck with the kitten:

The Bronze Colossus punches The Stray Kitten in the head with its right hand, but the attack glances away!

It tried punching it in the head at least 12 or 13 times, but every time the attack glanced off.  What the hell was that cat's head made out of, slade?  The colossus must have gotten tired of that eventually, unfortunately for the kitten:

The Bronze Colossus punches The Stray Kitten in the lower body with its right hand, bruising the muscle and shattering the lower spine's bone!
The Stray Kitten is propelled away by the force of the blow!
The Stray Kitten slams into an obstacle and blows apart!
The Stray Kitten (Tame) has died after colliding with an obstacle.

Finally, the axedwarf managed to get his shit together, so I closed up the fort, extanded the drawbridge, and sent the pair out to fight it.  This was a suicide mission, I was hoping they'd at least damage it enough so the rest of my army could take it down without taking too many losses.  The two decided it would be a great idea to engage it near a murky pool, both of them fell in dodging attacks.  But both of them managed to climb out and continue the fight.  Here's how it ended:

The Speardwarf stabs The Bronze Colossus in the left upper arm with her adamantine spear and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Bronze Colossus misses The Speardwarf!
The Axedwarf hacks The Bronze Colossus in the upper body with his -adamantine battle axe-, fracturing it!
The Speardwarf stabs The Bronze Colossus in the left lower leg with her adamantine spear and the severed part sails off in an arc!
The Axedwarf hacks The Bronze Colossus in the lower body with his -adamantine battle axe-, fracturing it!
The Speardwarf stabs The Bronze Colossus in the upper body with her adamantine spear, chipping it!

The adamantine spear has lodged firmly in the wound!
The Axedwarf hacks The Bronze Colossus in the right upper arm with his -adamantine battle axe-, fracturing it!
The Speardwarf twists the embedded adamantine spear around in The Bronze Colossus's upper body!
A human diplomat from Behal Uthros has arrived. (Excellent timing!  ::))
The Axedwarf hacks The Bronze Colossus in the lower body with his -adamantine battle axe-, fracturing it!
The Speardwarf punches The Bronze Colossus in the right lower arm with her left hand, but the attack glances away!
The Speardwarf stabs The Bronze Colossus in the lower body with her adamantine spear, fracturing it!

The Speardwarf twists the embedded adamantine spear around in The Bronze Colossus's lower body!
The Axedwarf strikes The Bronze Colossus in the right foot with his (*iron shield*), but the attack glances away!
The Speardwarf stabs The Bronze Colossus in the right upper arm with her adamantine spear, fracturing it and chipping the right shoulder!

The Axedwarf hacks The Bronze Colossus in the lower body with his -adamantine battle axe- and the severed part sails off in an arc!

FATALITY!

What's left of the colossus will be decorating my scupture garden/zoo.  Unfortunately, it doesn't look like I can do anything with the parts that got chopped off, it's a pity because it's over 100,000 urists of bronze that I can't melt down.  The statue that was left is only about 500 urists, it's not a statue, it's a bust.   :P

And to make things more !FUN!, just as I opened up the fort again and started cleaning up, the goblins decide to pay me another visit.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
Re: The Bronze Colossus Pik Risluosush Luldantura has come!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 01:29:07 am »

Yeah, I can pretty much confirm that you're never going to kill a bronze colossus with marksdwarves. Meet my old buddy Slobu:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I trapped Slobu over a decade ago in Whiteletter, and he's been target practice ever since. A dozen legendary marksdwarves owe their skill to him.

The only part of him any dwarf has ever touched is one of his fingers, which, when it was shot off, flew out through the fortifications around his pit and caused a bunch of "Urist McTrashpicker cancels Store item in stockpile: Interrupted by bronze colossus." (There are a few incredibly hardy moose men in there that somehow have survived all the years of target practice, but not one has ever scared off a dwarf; all they see is Slobu. Never did understand that.)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 04:42:06 am »

My first and most recent Bronze Colossus survived being bashed and slashed for 98 pages before my militia commander severed its head with his =steel short sword=.
The only injury this colossus caused was: 'The Bronze Colossus pushes the Militia Captain in the upper body, fracturing the rib and false rib! The militia captain is having trouble breathing!'

As for the kitten surviving the punches; when something huge attacks something small, the something small will survive.
It's kinda a bug, but I like to think it as the Bronzy punching the kitten and the kitten managing to fit in between the Bronzy's knuckles each time.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 06:47:02 am »

You sent Dwarves with candy on a suicide mission?

Outside?

Good thing Kobolds keep dying.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2012, 09:05:38 am »

Anyone else notice this in the combat logs?

The spear was the one severing limbs at the start.
But the axe couldn't.
How the hell do you stab a bronze collosus' arm off with a spear!?
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 10:08:05 am »

But the axe couldn't.
Note that this is a dwarven spear, the likes of which no man can imagine in complexity.

But seriously, The bronze colossus is a few thousand times wider than a spear, so I have no idea how the dwarves do it. Probably something strange in the way the spear's weapon type works.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 10:11:18 am »

But the axe couldn't.

They push. Hard.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2012, 10:16:14 am »

The spear just has a very broad blade.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2012, 10:59:08 am »

The spear just has a very broad blade.
Yes. Humans actually call them shovels.
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2012, 11:21:30 am »

The same way you can stab a finger off with a knife. The spear goes straight through the ENTIRE arm, the axe just tips the surface.

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2012, 11:57:23 am »

The same way you can stab a finger off with a knife. The spear goes straight through the ENTIRE arm, the axe just tips the surface.

What kind of bronze collosus has such a small arm... :/
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2012, 11:59:18 am »

What's your average Bronze Colossus look like? :p

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 12:05:52 pm »

What's your average Bronze Colossus look like? :p

Uhhhh............... Like this?

Spoiler: Uhhhh (click to show/hide)

SEE, DO YOU UNDERSTAND NOW?!?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2012, 12:12:10 pm »

x100

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2012, 12:19:50 pm »

x100

THIS ISN'T THE END OF ME....

You'll pay for this...
Pages: [1] 2