Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Further musings on something that doesn't even have a name yet  (Read 1294 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Further musings on something that doesn't even have a name yet
« on: January 22, 2012, 03:05:07 am »

Inspired by the chatter in the GD programming thread (as opposed to the Creative Projects and Other Games ones...), I've decided to attempt to revive one of my many overly-ambitious projects, this one concerning a Roguelike idea I had a while ago. The subject? Psych horror. This thread - serving as some form of motivation via hopefully generating interest and feedback - will commence with a fuckmassive infodump nobody will ever read (while I attempt to actually get something done).

Spoiler: Premise (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mental states (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat and health (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Magic (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Artifacts (click to show/hide)

That wasn't anywhere near as big as I thought it would be, but I suppose it's not really covering the specifics of anything. I'll post more if anyone cares.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:12:05 am by 3 »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Looks very interesting! Looking forward to seeing how magic works out, how it feels. Always looking at magic and how to really make it feel, well magical.
Anyway, as a tecnomancer reporting in, might as well look into some of the grit of it. Language? Libraries? Any ideas or still open?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I feel I have enough experience in both Python and C# for something like this. It's not like there's anything technically ambitious about it. My initial attempt was more just me messing around with libtcod than anything else - I'll be scrapping that and starting from scratch - the library has a few weird kinks in it but I think it's worth sticking with for convenience's sake. That being the case, either would do.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Watching this. Sounds interesting, a little like Eternal Darkness: The Roguelike.

Not exactly, of course  :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Further musings on something that doesn't even have a name yet
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:06:30 am »

I don't have much to show yet because I'm lazy and haven't done a great deal, but I figure posting something is better than nothing. Hopefully I can make these updates periodic, if I get my act together.

I've done a little thinking on the combat system, and this is what I'm liking so far:
- Entities have a value called Threat.
- Attack and defense rolls are derived directly from Threat, but individuals may have att/def modifiers from the base value.
- Attacks made that roll above or equal to the target's Threat lower Threat by 1 (and only 1), thus decreasing base attack and defense marginally.
- Attacks made that roll at least twice as much as the target's Threat are mortal and result in death or crippling.
- Attacks made that roll under the target's Threat do nothing whatsoever.
- If the Threat's higher than the maximum roll possible, a max roll counts as above or equal.

In addition to standard attacks, there are holds. A hold is generally harder to pull off (it uses a seperate roll to normal attacks, potentially with seperate modifiers, depending on what's making the roll), but once active a hold drops Threat by 2 per turn until broken or the victim drops dead. Because Threat governs your base attack and defense and effectively your HP, the longer you let something grab you for, the more difficult it becomes to get out.

This should create a dynamic between making attacks that might only do slight damage but might instakill, and attacks that do more reliable damage but are harder to use. Which attacks you use on what is a judgement call.

When it comes to player rolls, I'm thinking they should use percentile modifiers; so instead of getting +1 to hit per 2 points in STR you have over 16 or whatever, you get +10% to hit per STR point you have over the average. This synergises well with the way that the player character's stats typically won't be changing much during gameplay.

By basing Threat around linear rules as opposed to multiplicative ones, I can avoid the general "scaling" issue that pervades oldschool RPGs (including your typical Roguelike); that is, the player gets multiplicatively stronger, and so do the enemies, and it really doesn't actually make any difference in the end. With linear scaling, I can force limits on things: A monster with a very high Threat would be basically insurmountable no matter how strong the player is, and weaker enemies remain relevant even later on because they can always weaken you, and you can't necessarily kill them in one hit all the time.

What I'm basically aiming for in terms of overall design is thus:
- You don't need to fight things in order to advance your character. You can just go downstairs.
- You need to fight things to get access to every item. Monsters'll have to block things off or something.
- You rely on items for success in combat. Stats and feats can give you an edge, but fundamentally it comes down to weapons.

This should force only players who are interested in combat into combat. Players that aren't interested will play hide and seek or do something more... wholesome.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 05:11:55 am by 3 »