Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Roll to be a Mastermind - Turn 1 (Finally started!)  (Read 9911 times)

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mastermind - pregame
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 09:57:35 am »

snip
Er, actually that is too much. Space station would be Tier 3 base, costing you 6000. At first I thought that players will estimate the cost themselves, but that looks unreliable. Also, +3 to two skills is also too much - I was thinking to give +4 in total to Toaster and MonkeyHead, spread out among the different skills. It may be +3 to strategy and +1 to martial or +2 to both, or some other combination.

Also, why is everyone picking insanely high strategy levels, and strategy-boosting perks to boot? Doesn't anybody want to dominate the world by infiltration and assasinations or sway them to your side by charm? WHY ARE YOU ALL SUCH BLOODTHIRSTY TYRANTS?!

More updates coming in the nearest hour or two. It is recommended to make a sheet right now and regularly check for updates so I can clarify and fix things, but there's no penalty for waiting almost until the start - I don't plan to implement an upper limit to the number of players.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 10:03:46 am by Dariush »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 10:35:40 am »

Also, why is everyone picking insanely high strategy levels, and strategy-boosting perks to boot? Doesn't anybody want to dominate the world by infiltration and assasinations or sway them to your side by charm? WHY ARE YOU ALL SUCH BLOODTHIRSTY TYRANTS?!
I aint got no strategy.

Actually, I might boost infiltration at the cost of leadership. Double infiltration every time all the time. One man spy...wait, crap, spies are already one man...erm...one man infiltration team, yes that should work.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 12:41:25 pm »

BTW, you can be more creative with your perks than simply giving bonuses to skills. I'm not yet fully verifying the signing-ups, but the following is a nice example of what I'm planning to do:

Perk: Homo Universalis: The professor knows a lot about science, and is an expert in most fields(except ethics, aestethics, law,...). Unfortunately this means that he sometimes confuses different fields of science, with unfortunate results.(The most famous examples being the Quantum cactus, which is completly harmless unless you prick yourself with it and the leadfish, a rare breed of goldfish)

At the beginning of every turn, you shall gain plans for a random machine. You shall be given it's name and cost, but not the specific effects. You can choose to spend one of your daily actions to build it to get a one-shot random action. If you do not build the machine, the plan will become unavailible the next day.

(yes, this is the actual effect of this perk that will be in-game. Unless 10ebbor10 decides to change it, of course)

Also, since this is my first RtD, feel free to suggest balancing changes.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mastermind - pregame (spots always open!)
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 12:44:33 pm »

Nah, a random machine a day seems good to me. I mean, what can possible go wrong?

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 12:59:02 pm »

Name: Ryan Turing

Bio: A somewhat radical politician, he was discreadited by a certain reporter and forced to leave government. But, using all the money he gained from exploiting the system, set up shop inside the very same volcano that completely halted all aircraft not long ago. Determined to improve the world his way.

Perk: Political History: Retaining quite a few contacts, and a natural talent for causing chaos, Ryan is adept at causing trouble for politicians and political leaders, stressing them and causing the public to lose faith in them.

Base: Volcano base in Iceland (Tier Two)

Starting minions:
4 spies (1200)
3 building teams (750)
2 Elites (800)
1 Human squad (250)
3 diplomats (105)
Total: 4050

Stats: Distribute 20 points among the following:
- Strategy;2
- Martial;1
- Charisma;9
- Infiltration ;3
- leadership: 5
Have you worked out my strategy yet?
Does infiltration affect just us or our minions?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 11:23:50 am by Superior_Tomato »
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 01:09:24 pm »

Have you worked out my strategy yet?
Whuh?
Does infiltration affect just us or our minions?
Everyone, but minions will get better bonus if you're on a mission yourself.

Also OP updated. Worst-case scenario, the game will begin in two days. Best-case, today (within two hours). Most likely scenario, tomorrow.

Baradine

• Bay Watcher
  • Just some guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 02:12:57 pm »

Name: Baradine Mckane

Bio: I don't remember much, except for being found and raised by the corporation.  I was sixteen then, and I'm twenty-four now.  I'd shown high prowess in strategy and leading an army, I decided to become a Mastermind.  My goals?  They are four-fold.  First, establish power in a few countries.  Secondly, use my power to find out about my background.  Thirdly, if anyone is at fault, kill them.  Lastly, take over the rest of the world, of course!

Perk: Strategic Genius:  Gain a +2 bonus to all attacks (personal and when leading armies)

Base: An abandoned outpost in the Sahara.

Starting minions:
4 Human Squads (1000)
1 non-camouflaged robotic squad (200)
2 Elites (800)
1 Walker (1000)
2 Generals (1000)
2 Doctors (600)
1 Technician (300)
2 Building Squads (400)
Total: (5300)

Stats:
- Strategy: 7
- Martial skill: 4
- Charisma: 3
- Infiltration: 2
- Leadership: 4 

This should be fine right?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 02:16:40 pm »

I am out. Bit too much feature bloat for me sorry.
This is a blank sig.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2012, 02:22:17 pm »

This should be fine right?
Yep.

I am out. Bit too much feature bloat for me sorry.
...And here I was thinking that I was doing a far too shallow and featureless game, what with only three real directions the players can choose and so forth. Huh.

Okay, the majority of everything is done. The only things remaining are diplomacy, money-related things and conquests, but unless you want to focus on the diplomatic side of things (on Bay12? AHAHAHAHA er sorry), you can sketch up the final version of your sheet.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:25:17 pm by Dariush »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2012, 02:27:49 pm »

I just edited in my unit order, which should finalize it.  We get the leftover cash to keep on hand, right?

Also, I estimated my base as a Tier 2.  Is that accurate?  If not, I may add in a couple more units.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2012, 02:33:16 pm »

I just edited in my unit order, which should finalize it.  We get the leftover cash to keep on hand, right?
Of course. That's why I advised not to spend everything at once. ;)
Also, I estimated my base as a Tier 2.  Is that accurate?  If not, I may add in a couple more units.
I scratched the estimation system, so now you can choose your own tier. Tier 1 space station/underwater lair would simply get a couple of disadvantages in addition to the perks that correspond to such locations, but I'd have placed an underground compound at Tier 2 anyway, so you simply get two positive perks.

BTW, does anybody else think I bloated the game too much? I may shear a couple of edges off to simplify things a bit.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:35:20 pm by Dariush »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to be a Mastermind - Pregame (Spots always open!) (Almost done!)
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2012, 02:45:54 pm »

Okay.  I specified it as Tier 2, because base perks are Good Things.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2012, 02:47:33 pm »

I like bloat, so everything is fine by me.

Okay, possible imbalance that would work in my favour but...I have to tell you. Okay then, I could assassinate a leader with 100% probability. 6 spies times 3 cause leader means 18. And since the chance is 2 in 20-x, it means 2 out of 2 times.

And now, for something bad for me and mah spahs, going along with them would actually lower the bonuses I give. It would still be way more if I have some spies with me, but its still very odd. Without going along, my infiltration would give +3.5, but if I go along, my leadership and infiltration give +3.333333... and then the -3 on top would completely throw it out of the window. Unless this was intended. Incompetant bosses being incompetant.

EDIT: Hmm...Defcon could become a problem, so it seems I need to get more spies. 18 more spies to be exact, and then use all my 4 actions on taking over countries. Awww yeah. Everyone goes to 40 danger mode and freaks out.
EDIT2: Im a bit confused about how bases work...what are base perks supposed to exactly do?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:57:49 pm by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2012, 03:02:50 pm »

Gah, I knew I've slipped somewhere up. Thanks for noticing, I'll get to balance issues tomorrow.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2012, 04:21:25 pm »

Um, some of us focused on Infiltration and Strategy here.

Also, access to WMDs? Wouldn't that require...something powerful in your own hands and attract very much attention and heighten overall alert levels in the whole world?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8