Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Yet Another Stupid Roguelike Idea  (Read 8410 times)

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another Stupid Roguelike Idea
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 04:57:37 pm »

The benevolent religious group could be big coal powered robots who worship a Great Mechanic.
I'm not too fond of the idea of lolrobots just existing as separate beings, except maybe in the form of Golemns. Perhaps they are or were humans but they replace pieces of their body with mechanical parts as rites of passage and to extend their service past death? Their veterans and high priests would be complete machines as proof of their dedication and piousness.

I dunno, that seems more Cybermen than benevolent religion to me. I like the idea of having these robots as tranquil, silent servants who do their work and then go to worship their god. Like the robots in Gunnerkrigg Court (another steampunk-y thing very worth reading).

Technical questions: what language are you thinking of developing in, and with what libraries etc? I might be interested in contributing code.

Zancor Mezoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2012, 05:09:58 pm »

I think the road system should be looked at from additional perspectives.  "Roads" as we know them today are mostly for automobile traffic, with a smaller portion of the road size dedicated to pedestrians, bicycles, etc. (depending on the locale, of course)...but in a steampunk/high fantasy setting, cars might be possible, but I don't think they'd be commonplace.  I'd expect the minor roads to be pretty small, maybe like contemporary 1-lane roads, while the major roads might have 2-4x that much for pedestrians/vehicles/wagons/mounts/etc. as well as space on the sides of that for peddlers' stands, hovels, landscaping, and access to roadside buildings.  In addition to that, there are a few special circumstances that I have separate ideas for:

Canal roads: The roads on either side of a canal wouldn't be as large as their counterparts, because there wouldn't be any need for building access on the canal side.  There would also be two types of canals: the main canals, which are wider (like maybe 4-8 lane contemporary roads) and could have bridges, canalside markets, pavilions/esplanades, canal access (for gondoliers/passengers, and/or maybe steam barges), and surrounding roads. The other kind, service canals, would be smaller (1-3 lane) and go between the major canals as transit lanes, private access for canalside manors or criminal hideouts, and maybe as irrigation systems in the agricultural sections, ore offloading ports for the city mines, or as sewage/waste systems in the worse-off areas of the slums.  I'd also imagine that many of the service canals wouldn't have roads around them, flowing at irregular angles and curves in the middle of city blocks with only occasional bridges (or even as tunnels under the roads/buildings).

Town centers: I think if there was one huge road associated with the town center, used as a grand marketplace, festival/parade ground, and for military demonstrations, that would likely make sense - especially in a region of the city that was fairly or entirely lacking in rivers/canals.  Waterways are typically already centers of commerce and commotion, so to put such a feature along with them would be fairly redundant, but it would balance out if the town center/main road complex was separated from the rivers/canals.  Alternatively, it could be on the lakeside, which would also make sense for aesthetics and water-related festivals (which I think would be expected in an island-city with a lake, at least 2 rivers, and canals).
Anyway, I figure that the dwarves are only marginally less wasteful of metal than they are of wood. The moody dwarf's selecting only the best 5% of each bar of metal, and eats the rest to sustain him as he works on the artifact.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2012, 05:10:38 pm »

Remember that for a city this size, markets are pretty big. You can't just be done with a single large market, there would be a whole district dedicated to them. Probably the central district, where all the waterways come together. Going by European city planning, you'd have a few central market places, with one being the main place. In this case, they'd be stretched along the main canals that come together at the main market, which is surrounded by municipal buildings and palaces (similar to the Piazza st. Marco in Venice or the dam square in Amsterdam). This square would indeed be used for major festivities, while the smaller markets branching off would be more specific, for example a livestock market or a wool market. Each of the other districts would probably have a few smaller markets of their own.

Also, considering that this is supposed to be steampunkish, there would probably be a tram system connecting the main parts of each district.

Lastly, the nobles wouldn't mingle with the peasantry, they'd probably use airships. Maybe even airships pulled by flying beings (griffins?), or if they're of the wizard caste, air elementals.

The benevolent religious group could be big coal powered robots who worship a Great Mechanic.
I'm not too fond of the idea of lolrobots just existing as separate beings, except maybe in the form of Golemns. Perhaps they are or were humans but they replace pieces of their body with mechanical parts as rites of passage and to extend their service past death? Their veterans and high priests would be complete machines as proof of their dedication and piousness.

I dunno, that seems more Cybermen than benevolent religion to me.
That was kind of the point I tried to evoke. The idea is a cross between the Knights Hosppitaler, the Witchers and the Adeptus Mechanicus from Warhamer 40K, with some added forms of cult-like machine idolization thrown in for good measure. They're good and benevolent in the sense that they'll care for the sick, help the poor and protect the weak (and the rich, for the right price), but that doesn't mean they're particularly human or pleasant to be with.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:40:14 pm by Virex »

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2012, 05:28:02 pm »

I think the road system should be looked at from additional perspectives.  "Roads" as we know them today [...]
Still too big. You're on an island. Space is at a premium, and every cm of road is expensive. There are no 4-lane roads, and Venice hardly has 2 lane roads: it is inaccessible by car. This is a bit extreme, but in cities with a fine-grained canal system, almost all cargo was moved by boat before the automobile, since it's a lot more efficient, and there's not much space for roads. There's alleyways that a normal-sized man needs to traverse sideways or he'll get stuck. Oversized men wouldn't even fit through. Amsterdam fixed this by filling in certain canals and paving over that, to create roads.

90% of city planning is economy: where's the warehouses, tradehubs, ports, manufacture, etc, and the living space will form around that...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2012, 05:33:23 pm »

Venice does have a few main roads, though they're still small by modern standards. Remember though that very few cities used to have spacious roads in Europe. There was really no need for it, as most transport proceeded along the main roads connecting the town gates, which were maybe 3 or 4 in number. They would usually be broad enough to accommodate markets or connect to market squares. The rest of the city was basically pedestrian-only with maybe some pushcarts, so most streets would be broad enough to let a single cart pass. After all, space within the city walls wasn't to be wasted on overly spacious roads, you could use that area for farmland or more houses.

Maybe as the city grows, parts of the road go up in the air? I could see a tram system suspended above the normal cartways and canals so that it wouldn't interfere with them, as all you need for a tram are two girders to rest on.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 05:45:55 pm by Virex »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2012, 08:53:11 pm »

Always thinking up, when you could be going down...
Taking the general setting that it was established that was desired (Sort of grimdark steampunk) I think building underground subway systems would be a better idea than skyrails. More chances for things that lurk in the dark.
Also, that way you don't need to navigate around buildings, you can tunnel away!

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2012, 10:37:36 pm »

MUST HAVE MONOCLES

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 12:06:26 am »

I'm detecting a touch of pratchett seeping in around the corners, even though the (fantasy) inspiration is tolkien...

To that end, you should definitely have a persistent AI called Cut Me Own Throat (C.M.O.T., Throat) Dibbler who sells sausages of an indeterminate nature.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 06:21:54 am »

Ankh-Morpork meets Venice you mean?

Always thinking up, when you could be going down...
Taking the general setting that it was established that was desired (Sort of grimdark steampunk) I think building underground subway systems would be a better idea than skyrails. More chances for things that lurk in the dark.
Also, that way you don't need to navigate around buildings, you can tunnel away!
There's no reason the city can't have both, many modern metropolises have both a subway and a tram system. There could even be social stratification; the poor and the 'lesser races' (Orcs, Kobolds) are not allowed to take the skyrails. (Also you're forgetting the inconvenient fact that the city is built on a huge aquifer. Building metro tunnels would be a challenge at best)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 06:23:48 am by Virex »

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 12:02:46 pm »

BIAG:  I'm looking at C++ with Code::Blocks and gnu gcc compiler for 32Win.  Was tinkering in python with IDLE on the mac, but for a classic curses roguelike experience, which is half my goal here, you'd want C++ and a curses library.  I spent some time last night looking at pdcurses, ncurses, and libtcod.  I'd prefer to choose wisely and not be compelled to have to switch later on, that sounds annoying.  Libtcod is very tempting, lots of useful seeming tools, but it's "custom", you know?  Possibly idiosyncratic in ways people might be uncomfortable with eventually.  I'm far from qualified to make an informed choice.  Issues off the top of my head are

should it have a resizable window?
does it need blinky effects?
is there a present danger of running out of colors/characters?

ZANCOR, VIREX, SIQUO:  Yeah, these want to be filthy, foggy cobblestone streets.  Narrow is probably good.  Twisty is probably good.  I'm pretty sure the streets will get drawn before the buildings right now, so it could force a lot of polygonal buildings, which is fine.  I loved the idea of the "wizard's" district being twistier than others.  Maybe it's a spiral like Uzukami.  Shudder.  Maybe towards the center of the "elvish" borough the pavement starts breaking up and turns to green. 

A key idea for me now is that a different civilization founded the city and built it up through several historical/architechtural ages and is now something of a mystery.  You should be able to look at a building and say: red marble, middle period/style, good condition.   

Moving cars and trains make me nervous, I haven't seen a roguelike that handles them.  For gameplay/feel, though, they're desired/necessary.  Elevated tracks and tunnels: both, please!

GEEN: Monocles, check.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 02:44:30 pm by melkorp »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 12:50:23 pm »

Meh, there hasn't been a roguelike that has made an attempt at implementing vehicles, but there are many games who have, among others Syndicate. It's not impossible, but it requires some planning. Also, trams and trains used to be deadly so we don't have to implement special measures to prevent people from getting overrun, just make them avoid the tracks if possible and let them get squashed if they're unlucky enough to be on the tracks when a car passes.

On a side note, Victorian zeitgeist + different races = eugenics & breeding programs, as in Orcs being send to single-gender work camps to 'reeducate' them and to prevent the Orc troubles from spreading further.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 12:53:02 pm by Virex »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 12:57:49 pm »

Cataclysm has motorcycles, last I checked.

That's a roguelike with vehicles.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2012, 04:02:36 pm »

libtcod is the easiest but also has some quirks, as you seem aware. Haven't worked with it lately, and only made some very simple stuff with it. I did look at curses but stopped looking even before I got it to run.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 08:50:16 am »

Nice article about items classes and using tags. 
Still looking at libtcod and pdcurses.  Thinking hard about items: I really liked Kingdom of Loathing's generic ability-to-combine-unlikely-items to create something hilarious and unexpected.  I especially liked making outlandish cocktails.

FROM NOTES ABOUT CHARACTER CLASSES, OR, CONCERNING HOBOES
The Hobo has a boilerplate backstory (or ten, randomized for the game) about how he finds himself in the city.

The Hobo has extremely low charisma, so almost all institutions or spheres of activity in the game are initially closed to the Hobo.  He'll be forcibly ejected on sight from almost any building he enters, except churches or slums. 

The Hobo can start a career in crime right away.  He'd be able to observe and correctly interpret the movements of the drug trade without game experience.  (a Hobo could (l)ook at a passerby on the street and see "drug dealer", whereas another character class would see "young man".)

The Hobo has an innate stealth bonus

There are procedurally generated Hobo Signs all over the city, symbols that Hobo can innately interpret ("&" means "caution" in this particular gameworld, "å" means "elf", etc).

A Hobo can get a job immediately selling newspapers.

A Hobo is anxious in crowds?

A Hobo is happier in a smaller bedroom?

There's a 1 in 5 chance the Hobo is being pursued by a Detective.

There's a 1 in 50 chance the Hobo is a serial killer.  The Hobo won't know he's a serial killer, but over time he'll feel increasingly compelled to follow non player characters with certain characteristics, like red hair, and eventually try to kill them.  If ignored long enough, the compulsion should become so great that the player's keypresses actually stop controlling the character and instead advance him on a path towards the nearest victim.  A serial killing spree should be almost but not quite impossible to maintain.

The Hobo is hard to starve, can find food where other player classes see only garbage.

The Hobo is innately lucky. 

The Hobo has an innate disadvantage holding down a job, it will make him unhappier than other player classes. 

The Hobo is at greater risk for alcoholism or drug addiction.

The Hobo is more likely to have a scar: a permanent charisma penalty.

GAME IDEAS
Character classes: Hobo
Traits: variable with gameplay, subject to bonus or penalty: Charisma, Happiness, Anxiety
Skills: Stealth, Search, Read Hobo Sigils, See Crime
Bonuses and Penalties
Tags: True or False: Serial Killer, Drug Addict, Alcoholic,
Key Bindings: (l) look

I like the idea of a compulsion that, if ignored, takes over the character's movements.  Compulsions could include Alcoholism, Drug Addiction, Vampirism, Lycanthropism(?), Art Defacement, Theft of Unique artifact, Loud Singing, Spontaneous Poetry

ZANCOR:  The central town "square"/plaza idea is good: scheduled parades, demonstrations, festivals.  It could be an example of a more-than-a-building structure (like a mall, airfield, or fortress) that gets placed before the streets are drawn.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 05:08:21 pm by melkorp »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2012, 03:00:16 pm »

GENERATING NAMES

Because you have to start somewhere.  Here's a first attempt at Human names/naming conventions.

Task was to name a human male, female, building, street, district, and city.  Name elements are given and proper names, prefix & suffixes.  6 naming methods and a dice function. 

Using Python 3 with IDLE.  This is the pinnacle of where I'm at with Python and, indeed, programming at all.  I'm certain no one needs to read this, but:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sample output:

Stefan Machinewave
Rebekka Hammers
Carpenter Building
Crone Walk
Salton District
City of Organgate

Walter Stone
Proserpine Lumenori
Down Building
Spirit Walk
District of Wheelmyre
City of Taskermute

Orson Ax
Rose Master
Lombard Park
Oar Way
District of Stencilfield
City of Nullholm

Prescott von Haupt
Jane Unter
Bailey Building
Salton Street
Angle District
City of Railglen

Dmitri Harts
Rebecca Wing
Maturin Place
Archon Avenue
Lombard District
City of Jadeabel

Danilo Quoylewright
Emily Hauk
Crone Place
Via Ash
Down District
City of Lidobay

Ballard Adomwater
Dora Blessedvine
Whale House
Grand Road
Passenger District
City of Kater Point

David Belrank
Rebekka von Lead
Royal Park
Lido Road
Sparrow District
City of Oakencross

Cullen Smith
Rebecca Lime
Sextant Arms
Glover Road
District of Stackknot
City of Louche Cross

Thomas Nilsbracken
Simone Mont
Marfin Place
Broad Way
Majestic District
City of Mistralhelm

Output is not bad, double consonants don't bother me but triples do.  It's all got a pretty decent antiquated & Europe-y feel to it. 
The next step would be to make the methods work with seven different "languages".  Tags or something.  Then add a step to each function that tests for trebly repeated consonants and sheds one.  I don't know how much further I should go with Python before starting over with C++. [/code]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:04:27 pm by melkorp »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4