Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Your First Time (playing DF)  (Read 3713 times)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Your First Time (playing DF)
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2012, 12:24:50 am »

A friend and current forumite got me interested in the game by rambling on about his incessant modding. After he showed me his massive magma trap (which majestically backfired) I decided that I had to play this game.

After a few hours of trying to get past worldgen, I gave up. I returned a few days later, and learned to "read the Matrix" within a week or so. I would have died without "look here."
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 12:14:18 am »

I want you all to think back to your first time playing dwarf fortress, now funny thing is it may not be the time you think it was.

i recently remembered that a LONG time ago, about when i was 6-7 i played an ASCII game about dwarfs, and gave up in what i now believe was worldgen (derp)
i just found it kind of interesting that my first time i played DF was earlier than i thought. jogged back into memory by someones post in the help section i believe.

so what do you remember about your first time playing DF? did you give up in 2 minutes? or did you struggle on for days before figuring it out? or did you even get it right away?

So you're 15 now? Since it didn't actually come out till '06?

.... late 16's, my estimate was slightly off... by the way, DF was a HELL of a lot more confusing than. no tilesets had been really developed, no major documentation etc etc.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 12:34:02 am »

First Time: WHAT DA HECK IS DIS SHIZZ???

Later in a few months: Heck yeah, cage traps!

Even later than that: Attempt to make useless dwarf-operated goblin grinders and repeaters, and hope I don't suddenly breach into the aquifer.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2012, 10:14:00 pm »

It was before 31.19, so far as I know. I remember embarking on a human town, but I also remember channeling to make all my hallways (didn't understand what "channel" meant :P) and being confused when I couldn't see my dwarves as they were going through them. Then I locked one of the starting 7 in their room because I had no idea how doors work. (I built a wall around the entire room then built a door on the outside:

XX
↓X
 XX

Just pretend ↓ is a door and Xs are walls.)

I do remember playing way earlier and not figuring out how to dig, though, so that may have been in 40d.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2012, 12:58:53 pm »

Hmm, that was a long. very long time ago. i dont really know why i stopped, i remember following the pedguin tutorial (less popular then the others on youtube, but better) and eventually giving up for a reason i dont remember.
I have now followed another tutorial from a guy whos name i dont remember, got there from the lnp thread, he seems to have stopped :(
My first fortress died by starvation/not enough beer.
My second fortress due to a flooding accident. Which i then watched amused as my entire fortress flooded, seeing dwarves die in the rooms that were left unflooded.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2012, 03:53:19 pm »

The first time that I got to play DF was back in40d when Toady decided to expand compatibility to macs. I remember that I had watched my friend play several time before that and he has told me some pretty funny stories, but since my family was a mac family I was unable to play until compatibility was extended. I stuck to the wiki like glue for my first few months of playing, and I believe that on my first try I managed to make it all of the way to the first goblin ambush, which is where I ended up being stuck for my next several run throughs until I was able to defeat them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 2 [3]