Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: They cooked my tallow.  (Read 5458 times)

Stargazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They cooked my tallow.
« on: January 23, 2012, 06:31:54 pm »

I butchered an endless amount of my giant kitten horde so I could get some tallow and make some stupid soap. But ohhhhhhhh no, the dorf cooks decided that it would make a delicious roast instead and cooked it all. What must I do to stop this?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: They cooked my tallow.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 06:40:51 pm »

I'm fairly certain that you can disallow cooks from cooking any given object type under the kitchen menu in the (z) screen.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 06:41:32 pm »

z -> Kitchen -> mark the tallow as not cookable.  Some of the tallow must exist in order for it to appear on the menu, so your best bet is to do it right after the fat's been rendered.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 07:21:59 pm »

z -> Kitchen -> mark the tallow as not cookable.  Some of the tallow must exist in order for it to appear on the menu, so your best bet is to do it right after the fat's been rendered.

Or you could just do it the easy way.
Burn the kitchens. Magmaaa.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

Silophant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:14:12 am »

That'll prevent his tallow from being rendered, though.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 09:38:25 am »

disable cooking meals for a while?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 11:38:02 am »

Use the z menu and then the kitchen section to disable tallow as an ingredient in cooking.  Fat will still be rendered into tallow and tallow will still be stored as normal.  You can use it to make soap or other workshop reaction (like modded tallow candles). 
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 07:45:43 pm »

Tallow candles? What are they used for? Selling to caravans?

Oh, also I'm looking at my kitchen screen and there is no fat or tallow anywhere. Although the stocks screen shows the fat fine... =/
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 07:51:24 pm by guitarxe »
Feeling down? Click Here!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 07:59:59 pm »

Fat can't be brewed or directly cooked into meals, so it doesn't show up on your kitchen screen.  Once the fat has been rendered into tallow, the tallow will show up on the Kitchen screen, and you can disable cooking of it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 08:05:55 pm »

Fat can't be brewed or directly cooked into meals, so it doesn't show up on your kitchen screen.  Once the fat has been rendered into tallow, the tallow will show up on the Kitchen screen, and you can disable cooking of it.

Ah, well how do I render it into fat? I have my (o)rders screen set to automatically render fat, but the kitchen screen has the render fat option in red text, and selecting it just brings up some window that says something about reagents and products, but doesn't let me actually start the job.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 08:10:17 pm »

The 'render fat into tallow' job should be automatically trigger any time you have usable fat, unless you've disabled the automatic kitchen jobs, and even if you have it should still be possible to manually order the job to be performed.  Are you sure the fat is accessible, not rotten, not forbidden or anything like that?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 08:19:10 pm »

It's in a stockpile right next to the kitchen, accessible, and not forbidden. I mean I have some barrels of fat that have two types (one from turkey, one from goat), but there are barrels that contain only goat fat, too.