Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Commercial DF-likes  (Read 19573 times)

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Commercial DF-likes
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 02:50:22 am »

As was said Dwarves?! and Delve Deeper have basically nothing in common with DF (aside from the characters being dwarves, which are hardly a unique creation of DF).  That said, even if they did, even if somebody tried to simply make a polished, commercial version of DF, I'd support it.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand why Toady would prefer games not copy his and potentially horn in on his passion (and extra spending money) but ultimately imitation can help bring innovation and can help to polish the title.  Pick virtually any game you truly love and odds are its taken a lot of cues from earlier games (even something as simple as how to set up the UI), to suggest that every game (or any piece of media for that matter) should be completely unique is not only an impossible goal but also shooting the medium in the foot.  There is no reason to re-invent the wheel every time, if somebody decided that DF was a great game but they felt they could do better then I say they try, if they do better great! If they don't then perhaps they at least can offer up something that they did right, if it totally sucks then at least it can be a learning experience.

I don't support deliberate copyright violations or anything, but I do think that the only way to end up with gaming (or reading, or cinematic) masterpieces is to allow creatures to.. Basically steal ideas from other people and then try to find a way to make them better.

As for DF.. Honestly while it would have its advantages even if somebody made a completely 3D, crisp version of DF that still contained all the features I'd still prefer the original, the use of ASCII allows my imagination to take control in a way it cannot do when there are true images and that is a big part of the magic of DF for me.  That said if somebody else created an ASCII game that was extremely similar to DF but with far more bugs hammered out, a better UI, and going in a direction I preferred I would probably move to that, why wouldn't I?

There is a reason we all aren't still playing Doom and Wolfenstein (or if you prefer multiplayer Unreal or Quake).

So yea, right now the issues of 'commercial versions of DF' is making a mountain out of a molehill.. Worse really in that the issue doesn't exist to begin with, at best the examples are sort of similar or share a similar theme but that is where the similarities end.  But I support game makers to continue trying to improve on the games they love.  DF itself is an attempt to improve the fantasy world simulator genre which existed far before DF did after all, and dwarves themselves are hardly an original creation, but I love what Toady has done with it.

Unnoskol

• Bay Watcher
  • Stryk teh erth!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 06:47:11 am »

Hear, hear~!

Still, I have to admit, it's thanks to you guys that I'm aware of DF-like games other than DF itself. I'll be checking out those games, and hope to be entertained by them.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 01:34:01 pm »

I could totally go for "dorflike" becoming a genre.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Archaalen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 08:43:29 pm »

I'm not in any way concerned about these games as a "threat" to DF, I just noticed that they existed and thought it might be interesting to see what people here thought about them. 

Thanks for the responses!

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 11:43:36 pm »

Commercial games are very rarely allowed to sink any decent amount of time into production, which is where df will win every time.. Also demographic and marketing concerns keep new-age games from being as epic as possible.. (these new dumbed down rpgs are killing me, best new game I can vouche for is Demon/Dark Souls.. and upcoming XCOM..) Another thought is something I heard recently about XCOM, that the look and feel of a game are as much intellectual property as the actual content of a game.. Perhaps that line is being crossed :O

About dwarves are dwarves are dwarves: I don't exactly get a dwarfed up feel from df.. It could just be called Fortress for all I care :P Sure, they drink, but they'll chug water too :P And they dig, but so do coal miners :P They'll chop everyone up with an axe, but are not opposed to bows or swords or wrestling.. I suppose I see them as individual "people" more than "dwarves".. If I lived in such a dangerous world I'd be compelled to dig a nice safe hole in the ground and drink up too, regardless of race :P

Organum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 03:17:45 am »

If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Can I sig this?
If dwarves decided to live in trees like hippies, they'd still do it better than the elves.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2012, 12:03:27 am »

Can I sig this?

By all means! I would be honored.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2012, 03:49:32 am »

I wonder what little people feel about these dwarf portrayals...
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

BinaryBeast1010011010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2012, 04:14:45 am »

Would the midgets squirm and fidget?
cant stop playing DF?
 : (){ :|:& };:

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2012, 04:33:47 am »

The only DF-like game out there right now is Towns, and it's basically a copy of DF fortress mode with better interface and without dwarven personalities/interaction.

I doubt any game will be able to handle random dwarven relations/personalities/characters as well as DF, especially after the new release with dwarven grudges transforming into lies about crimes et cetera. Other games may be interesting building simulators, but DF is the best in terms of story/event creation.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Destroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2012, 07:03:08 am »

I find it hard to respect a developer making commercial clones.  When was the last time a clone was superior to the original?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2012, 07:09:31 am »

I find it hard to respect a developer making commercial clones.  When was the last time a clone was superior to the original?

Boba Fett.

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 09:48:02 am »

DF isn't even the first DF-like. Dungeon Keeper, anyone?
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Destroid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 10:27:14 am »

Dungeon Keeper is an RTS in an unusual environment, DF is a sim/city builder.

Jimmitheking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2012, 12:52:06 pm »

Dungeon Keeper is an RTS in an unusual environment, DF is a sim/city builder.

Dungeon keeper is, and will always be, the best game ever for me, DK being my first game ever played (along with age of empires).
but DF is my favorite. No game will ever be as unique as DF.
I don't think we all need to say that dwarves are dwarves; Dwarf?!, or wathever other games including drunk midget digger, isnt really a copy of Df just because it got dwarves.
I mean, they're all based on Dwarves stereotype... And so does DF!
So theses game arent DF-clone; They're Dwarf-stereotype based games.
"I’m waiting for “Sausage Factory Worker 2011: Conveyor Belt Controller Edition”"
That's soon to come, im sure of that!

Just Cause 2 is like if Spiderman joined Al'queda.
Pages: 1 [2] 3