Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nobles and their demands  (Read 1690 times)

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
Nobles and their demands
« on: January 24, 2012, 09:42:55 am »

I don't know if that was already suggested here (searched and couldn't find it), but how about if nobles only made demands that would make sense based on the materials you have on the fort at the time? For example, if I have silver, steel and coal, said noble could ask for some steel swords or silver statues or watnot, but never slade amulets or, in this example, lead items (since the fort doesn't have lead at the time).

Unless the noble were completelly batshit (maybe a personality trait of high ranking dwarven nobles), said noble would at least need to have some sort of common sense when demanding stuff.

I hate when nobles demand lead toys. Are they trying to kill themselves?
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Nobles and their demands
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 10:52:53 am »

Preventing impossible mandates gets suggested now and then, although it's not easy to search for:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=20156.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4904.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3296.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6171.0
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=29119.0

Spoiler: tags (click to show/hide)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 10:59:38 am »

Spoiler: tags (click to show/hide)
You should add accident, justice, fair, fun, magma, tantrum.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 11:33:37 am »

That's probably gonna make the thread lose its focus but...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 12:16:36 pm »

I personally like having to manage noble's impossible demands.  Items should at least be possible to import, so no demanding slade items, but a noble who likes black bronze in a location with no gold can still get black bronze items via import.

I would like to see nobles be harder to get rid of, currently if you kill off you titled noble it's gone unless he or she had children.  This should have some sort of consequence, in my opinion.  Not being able to make requests of the mountainhome until you have appointed a new one when the liason comes, or something of the sort.  perhaps an immigrating noble who heard that your fortress was without proper leadership.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:37:55 pm »

...perhaps an immigrating noble who heard that your fortress was without proper leadership continuously reporting leaders having...unfortunate accidents.

On topic, Slade should be out. What could be done is so that nobles ask for at least items available in the mountainhomes. If there's no possibility of Rose Gold being smelted there or in the current fort he is residing, why should he ask for it? Aside from, you know, getting a bridge on the forehead.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:40:10 pm by Urist McGyver »

sockless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 11:43:06 pm »

I'm pretty sure Toady has removed material based demands, effective the coming version.
Iv seen people who haven't had a redheaded person in their family for quite a while, and then out of nowhere two out of three of their children have red hair.
What color was the mailman's hair?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 09:29:18 am »

Also not all impossible requests are unreasonable given you have trade.

Not to mention that it often isn't so much that someone requests an impossible material but that he treats it like mutany. "I want Uniquium Statues! I don't care if no one has any! Off with your heads!".

Though Insane Nobility wouldn't be so bad.