Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: shattered bone  (Read 2170 times)

wsoxfan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
shattered bone
« on: June 05, 2012, 01:30:34 pm »

Hi guys and gals,
I'd like to preface this post by say that the DF medical system is a great one. However, I've had some issues with it. It appears that shattering any bone in an adventuer will cause said adventurer to black out from pain, which is an effective death sentence, unless if you have other companions with you. This doesn't make much sense to me, as you black out even if it's just a finger if you have high endurence. I'm not suggesting a complete nerf, but a partial nerf would be nice.

Thanks for reading this topic

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: shattered bone
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 01:34:44 pm »

Yup, pain should be rebalanced. Another example is where 3 squirels can kill an elephant. If the elephant doesn't get lucky in the first turns, it will succumb to the pain from the scratches and go unconcious, eventually bleeding to that by the continuus attacks.

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 09:00:07 pm »

I agree with this. The pain should at least scale with the size of the bone (since the size of the shattering is not very specific).
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 10:28:59 am »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 12:38:31 am »

I'd like to state, from non-combat experience, that a broken fingerbone can indeed cause you to pass out or go into shock, but in combat, with adrenaline flowing, I'm guessing that it'd be somewhat different. Also of note, I was young, and it was my first broken bone. I also didn't feel faint until I realized it was broken, roughly 30 minutes afterwards. Lotta factors go into that kind of thing, Toady's doing a great job with the tools he has. :)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 04:41:37 am »

I'd like to state, from non-combat experience, that a broken fingerbone can indeed cause you to pass out or go into shock

At the same time people have broken bones and have not noticed as well (though this commonly happens with the foot)

As well we are talking about some battle hardened characters.

ALSO ALSO we all know that the larger the creature the less pain they feel (the longer it takes for pain to get to the brain the less it is felt). AND EVEN THEN some animals are specifically set up to be able to have broken bones and not even show injury (Ferrets for example require regular vet visits because they have a tendency to not show injury even if they are carrying broken limbs)

Anyhow the worst wsoxfan is that chipped bones cause you to fall unconscious.

This is on the bug tracker also.

Except it isn't even a bug... it just got in there somehow. It is because, I hear, of the way the game handles broken bones in that everytime it breaks there is a chance it will just automatically knock you out.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 01:14:55 pm »

I'd like to state, from non-combat experience, that a broken fingerbone can indeed cause you to pass out or go into shock

At the same time people have broken bones and have not noticed as well (though this commonly happens with the foot)

As well we are talking about some battle hardened characters.

I'd like to state, from non-combat experience, that a broken fingerbone can indeed cause you to pass out or go into shock, but in combat, with adrenaline flowing, I'm guessing that it'd be somewhat different. Also of note, I was young, and it was my first broken bone. I also didn't feel faint until I realized it was broken, roughly 30 minutes afterwards. Lotta factors go into that kind of thing, Toady's doing a great job with the tools he has. :)

:)  As far as I can tell, realizing your bone is broken is a big factor in the whole passing out thing, so watching a guy with a hammer smash your hand apart would probably be a bit different than punching something and not realizing what happened until a half hour later. Also, adrenaline is one helluva drug, but it doesn't make you impervious to pain. I picture chipped bones as literally that, the arrow (or whatever) hits the bone, gouges out a chunk of it, exposing NERVES and then lodges the chip inside your flesh, which wouldn't be very pleasant.

Furthermore, I wasn't saying that my personal example was the be all, end all. I was merely trying to point out that it happens, perhaps not as frequently and commonly as in the game, but it does happen. :) Anyway, good point with the ferrets and large animals, I did not know that, but it makes a certain amount of sense that animals wouldn't want to show weakness, and that the speed at which information travels through your nerves isn't instaneous.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 01:21:53 pm »

The brain does have acces to natural pain killers though. These including among others, Endorphines(Which  also have several other functions)