Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: Dawn of the Space Age, MK2  (Read 19306 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dawn of the Space Age, MK2
« on: January 25, 2012, 03:39:33 pm »

Some people may remember this game, which was put on hold because I needed to work out some rules, and more importantly because I was about to go into surgery and therefor couldn't run it anymore.

While I originally meant to just continue on from where I stopped, as I got into remaking how things actually worked and such, things required more and more glossing over to explain how a modern earth could end up with one advanced spaceship under UN control with very little support behind it, and generally, I don't like doing glossing over and plot holes. As such, I decided to reboot it. So here have the second try of.. The Dawn of The Space Age!

In this timeline, you are starting after the cold war.. went hot. Fortunately, it was a limited hot, but the short exchange of highly explosive ballistic missiles and armies between the west and the soviets had... side effects on the worlds climate. As such, the majority of the worlds efforts is currently being focused on rebuilding, leaving little money or interest in the space programs. This is about the time the Relic was found crashed into the dark side of the moon. The alien spacecraft ignited interest in space once again! Or at least until people spent a year researching it without learning much more then how to open the doors and turn the power on.

As time went by, the world stayed in need of repairs, and not much progress that was newsworthy was reported... people stopped caring. And as people stopped caring... this left the space programs with much lower budgets then they needed to be able to do anything. This left them open to a surprising and risky offer... An offer by a private foundation to buy the now more repaired and they think they mostly know how it works maybe sorta spaceship from the ailing space programs. An offer.. that was accepted.

You are Alexander Namic, the new owner of the only human run spaceship, an ancient relic armed with a pair of powerful missile launchers and what people think is a point defense laser, as well as what would be a very good sensor array if you knew how to use it. You've given its empty landing bay a pair of heavy cargo lifters and you have found the 65 or so people needed to actually crew the thing, and are currently fully fueled and in earth orbit. After a popular vote, the ship was named the Revolution.

This still leaves a few questions, however... What is your foundation called? And more importantly, what are you going to do? And finally, What do you request the labs research while you are gone? Now that the scientists aren't focusing all their efforts into getting the ship running, they have some new ideas...

It is estimated that traveling between each orbital ring will take between one to two days, as the suns gravity well keeps you from turning on what you think is the ftl drive, not that you can figure out how that works yet.
A : Mercury
B : Venus
C : Earth
D : Mars
E : Asteroid Belt
F :  Jupiter
G : Saturn
H : Uranus
I : Neptune
J : Pluto
K : Oort Cloud

Research Funding Requests.
A : The Eye I recon probe. A modified torpedo that swaps out its warhead for a heavy duty sensor installation, at least for the space they had.
B : Magnetic Weapons Theory, to allow the developmental of both rail and coil weapons, which could prove useful in both ship and infantry scale.
C : Laser Weapon Theory, Studies of the Relic's point defense laser has given people some ideas on how to make their own laser weapons.
D : Prefab Space Station, the study of ways to fit a full, if small, space station into your cargo hold.
E : Colony Study, the planning of interstellar colonies, but experts say they will need more information on other planets and potential colony sites to begin this.
F : Scoop Device, a suggested way to refuel and replenish your supplies from gas giants.
G : Space Defense studies, research into the ways space is deadly and how to keep you and your crew from dying.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:39:02 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawn of the Space Age, MK2
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:42:09 pm »

Project Phoenix
The Revolution has 30/30 days worth of supplies on board
The Revolution has 15/15 Command Crew
The Revolution has 20/20 Science Crew
The Revolution has 30/30 Technical Crew
The Revolution has 10/10 Military Crew
The Revolution has 20/20 Nuclear Torpedoes
The Revolution has 1/1 Defense Laser
The Revolution has 2/2 Moth Class Heavy Landers
The Revolution has 4/4 Courage Space Cars

It has a full crew
It is at the Belt

Infantry Weapons are Pistols and Rifles, Which do not work in a vacuum or in some atmospheres.

Spoiler: Subcraft (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Earth Infrastructure (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Mars Infrastructure (click to show/hide)

Earth is Researching : Armor
Mars is Researching : Relic
Spoiler: Researched: (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Other Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Log (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:28:35 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:52:49 pm »

Info Dump Post

Sizes of things
Minuscule - Tiny - Small - Medium - Large - Giant - Humongous - Titanic

Colony Demands 101
Colonies have 5 things they want to be happy and productive members of your burgeoning space empire. These will now be listed in the order of their importance. Number 1 is, quite simply, Habitability. This includes things like not sleeping in holes in the ground, having working air processors, good food, that sort of thing. Number 2 is Medical Support. Also known as, when I break my arm, will there be anyone who knows how to help? Or get Space Plague or whatever. Number 3 is Entertainment. This is pretty much what it sounds like. Number 4 is Education, and is really only important in colonies big enough to be having a new generation. Lastly is Number 5, or Defense. This is the only one who's importance can change, as the need for it goes way up when people think they might be attacked.

Have a list of colony domes available after you research Colony Studies.
Spoiler: Habitation Domes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Entertainment Domes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Education Domes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Defense Domes (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Other Domes (click to show/hide)

Ok, Explanation. I could not come up with a workable colony system that I couldn't figure out how to horribly abuse within a few minutes of thinking about it. As such, Colony stuff will now be mostly behind the scenes so I can fudge things as needed. The Colony Demands thing I wrote up is still a good guide for what they want though.

Resources are classed in 4 alternate categories behind the scenes. These categories are Organics, Common Ores, Rare Ores, and Radioactives.

Organics are, well, things made out of Organic materials. Unless you go into biotech the main thing this is used for is for food, but if you somehow manage to not have any you can't make things like plastics and such, which you will find to be very annoying.

Common Ores are things like Iron and Copper and Brass. Metals and such. Don't have any of these and you can't build anything.

Rare Ores are things like Plotdeviceium and Handwavium, as well as actually existing rarer metals that you need to use for things, like, say, FTL drives or antimatter production once you figure those things out. While these are rare, you actually don't need a huge amount, but if you run out most of the more exotic tech that blatantly breaks physics as we know it can't be built.

Radioactives are things that, well, are radioactive. Used for missile and reactors and things that go boom and zap and bang.

Even beyond mining or farming these resources, you also have to get them to the shipyards. For example, even if you have a million tons of Radioactives from Mercury, if your shipyard is in orbit around mars to take advantage of the common and rare ore mines there and in the Asteroid Belt, you can't make the Super Zippy Death Ships unless you have a transport fleet to take the Radioactives to the shipyards, which can be more of a limit then the availability of the resources themselves. As well, a tiny shipyard wouldn't be able to use all the tons of Radioactives at once anyway, even if you could teleport them all to the shipyard.

Non-player human space things and information

Besides the specifics noted here, there is both a network of 'civilian' satellites as well as every nations orbital anti ICBM network. Exactly what weapons are up there is Top Secret, or equivalent such classifications. As of game start no one had any space stations.

Spoiler: Space Treaties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: USSR (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: China (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: USA (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: EU (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 03:37:18 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:36:58 pm »

Your link to the original game appears to be badly broken.

We run Project Phoenix. Humanity shall rise from the ashes of a wounded Earth, and never again reach the brink of extinction.

Let's start researching A, the recon probes, and go to Mars.

For an overall strategy, I think we should focus on information: Cloaks, sensors, and xenology. Avoiding war is better for the survival of Humanity than winning a war. Knowing what's out there will allow us a better chance of this, or failing that, to strike precisely at the heart of our foes. Of course, colonialism and military power aren't far behind in importance.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 04:40:25 pm »

Lets go to Mercuty (A) and research Magnetic Weapons Theory (B)

Why Mercury? It's a good place for the first colony, solar power here can give huge benefits, and this fact make it better than Mars.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 08:23:38 pm »

I suggest we go to Mars (D) first, and have our labs research Prefab Space Stations (D). Also I vote that our organisation be called the Apollo Foundation.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 09:10:01 pm »

I do think that Mercury is a better idea, we need a mining\industy colony and Mercury is ideal for it, because it's far from solar system's borders and it's good for it protection. Mars is better used for the second colony, when we'll have more technologies for terraforming. Also, it is way more chances that we'll meet something dangerous on mars... We should have better weapons when this happens, our infantry is defenseless, remember
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 11:46:37 pm »

Woah, what. Talking about making colonies allready? You people are crazy. If we -need- stuff in space, build it on the moon. We have the technology for that, evidently, and it has easy access to earth.
We run Project Phoenix. Humanity shall rise from the ashes of a wounded Earth, and never again reach the brink of extinction.
I am in favour.

Research: A. Information is what we need at the moment, not weapons.

Destination: D. Maiden voyage. Lets send some men to walk on Mars. Maybe we could scout out possible locations for facilities whilst we are there, do some soil analysis- see if there are any resources worth harvesting. Colonies on Mars would be cheap- wouldn't need the ridiculous levels of heat and radiation shielding mercury would.

After Mars we should head over to Jupiter, check out Europa- send down a team to analyse those interesting brown patches, see if there actually is life down there- could give us a neat head start on xeno-biological research if there is.

After that, home, for champagne and a substantial increase in funding from all the publicity.

An additional query: Do we have the appropriate research to construct a vessel which has the same stats (FTL excluded) as the Revolution? If not, can we research that, if yes, do we have the facilities to construct such a craft? If not, can we construct said facilities?
Long Live United Forenia!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 11:53:21 pm »

I like the sound of Project Phoenix.

I would like to know what those pre-fab space stations would be capable of. Refueling? Trade? Defense? Communications? Any or all of the above?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 12:23:01 am »

Woah, what. Talking about making colonies allready? You people are crazy. If we -need- stuff in space, build it on the moon. We have the technology for that, evidently, and it has easy access to earth.

As fair note and warning, resources on the moon are far more limited then they are pretty much anywhere else you can set up in the solar station, even if it is the easiest to reach.

An additional query: Do we have the appropriate research to construct a vessel which has the same stats (FTL excluded) as the Revolution? If not, can we research that, if yes, do we have the facilities to construct such a craft? If not, can we construct said facilities?

No, not yet. If nothing else the Revolution has far better armor then anything you can make at this point, but more to the point your people have no experience designing their own spaceships right now. You can probably design fightercraft and corvettes or such, but not something the size of the Revolution. Theirs also the fact your only dockyard is the smallest size a station can be, so just can't fit a large design yet.

And theoretically you could design a bigger station, but you haven't researched that yet, so therefor you haven't designed one yet.

I like the sound of Project Phoenix.

I would like to know what those pre-fab space stations would be capable of. Refueling? Trade? Defense? Communications? Any or all of the above?

Pre-Fab Space stations are not actually any designs in general, but the methodology to let you pack spacestations into your hold.. and then unpack them. While you can come up for something workable for any of those rolls mentioned right now, further research would be required to come up with a dedicated space station design for each reason.

As a note, while your supplies are currently limiting your travel, you will be making a plot breakthrough once you trigger the next bit that actually starts the.. well, plot, that drastically increases your in system speed. Once you find it, I mean.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 12:24:38 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 12:36:16 am »

Code: [Select]
Votes for:
  Research:
    A(sensors): II
    B(railguns): I
    D(stations): I
  Destination:
    A(Mercury): I
    D(Mars): III
  Name:
    Project Phoenix: III
    Apollo Foundation: I

Resources on the moon are limited, but if we need facilities, we should be building them on earth at the moment. Not too many, obviously, because at some point the world governments are going to go: OI, FOLLOW OUR ORDERS, at which point we will want to be able to say to the world governments: Screw you guys, we have all the space ships, we have self-sufficient colonies, how about you follow OUR orders, or we start WW4: Space VS Earth?

Now then. Lets' be off to Mars to look for plot coupons with which to soup up our engine.
Long Live United Forenia!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 01:21:13 am »

In that case, I vote that we begin research in Sensors, since that probe sounds like it might be useful. We will visit Mars first, just to prove we can, but Mercury should be rich in minerals and metals for expansion and should be scanned/surveyed at the first opportunity.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Alternatecash

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING: [flammable head]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 05:23:18 am »

Phoenix works for me, but our first trip should be Mars. For it's mass, it has 10 times the titanium and ferrous minerals Earth does, and that should prove useful. The abundance of solar energy, ease of re-terraforming, and proximity to Earth make it ideal for practice. We need to test our ability to survive, not jump naked into the pool. Space Defense is our number one priority.
Explore a half-ruined facility and play with dangerous
mutagens in my forum game.
It's back! A bit. Seriously, jump in.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 06:51:41 am »

Alright, a few questions Happerry. Firstly, does the Revolution protect us and our crew adequately from radiation hazards? Secondly, what is the limiting factor on the Revolution's supply range? Thirdly, do we need to secure funding or anything like that at the moment?

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 01:50:03 pm »

Alright, a few questions Happerry. Firstly, does the Revolution protect us and our crew adequately from radiation hazards? Secondly, what is the limiting factor on the Revolution's supply range? Thirdly, do we need to secure funding or anything like that at the moment?

Ok, In order... Normally, A mixture of food, air, fuel, and general maintenance, and no, because like hell am I going to keep track of the cost for each missile you people restock with. On the other hand, the more you do on, or in sight, of earth the more likely they're about to start trying to get a piece of the pie.

And so you are the Leader of Project Phoenix. For Humanity shall rise from the ashes of a wounded Earth, and never again reach the brink of extinction! Or so your motto says. And so you fly on wings of flame and strange alien tech to Mars over the course of two days as the crew gets used to the ship, soon finding themselves in orbit around Mars, sharing your orbit with Phobos and Deimos, having left the labs at Earth behind to do their research. Your scans have detected some strange magnetic signals on Deimos, and the scientists have chosen two landing sites on Mars that the science crew have requested a landing at for the purposes of Science, being this is the first chance for people to get a good look at Mars. And remember, you have 2 landers if you want to try to do two things at once.

A: Send a lander to Deimos
B: Send a lander to Mars site 1
C: Send a lander to Mars site 2
D: Leave orbit and go somewhere else
Forenia Forever!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14