Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The Play-by-post Experiment Thread: One slot not full!  (Read 10430 times)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Play-by-post Experiment Thread: One slot not full!
« on: January 26, 2012, 04:49:02 pm »

The Play-by-post Experiment Thread

Welcome, welcome, welcome! It is my great honor to present to you the idea which will almost certainly generate millions of dollars for me personally. This is a thread where anyone can host a small, experimental forum game - the only big restriction being that it's a play-by-post game.

What's play-by-post?

Play-by-post is a style of forum game that encompasses any game that is contained in its entirely in posts here in the thread. Multiplayer RPGs, suggestion games, all here. In this thread's case, it also means the game must have someone running it, like a GM. The players do their thing and the GM responds in kind. Sorry, this does mean no Maptools, no "post about the above post" and no games that are almost nothing but character-driven roleplay.

Why these restrictions?

This thread is designed to hold up to four active games at any given time. Any of the no-no game types risk posting spam, which would heavily detract from the other games. Even within play-by-post, I recommend players to not make many posts per update/GM post. We're all in this together.

The color system

Every active game will take up one of four slots: Red, Blue, Green or Purple. To denote which game you're posting to, begin your post with that color. Make sure you post blue as darkcyan and purple as magenta in your color tags. You must do this for every post, GM or player. For players/GMs in multiple games, start the part of your post aimed at the relevant game with that color.

This is absolutely mandatory, and I will be reminding people who aren't coloring their posts, as four concurrent games could get really confusing without it.

Why "experimental"?

Are you a new GM, unsure of your finesse? Do you have a grand idea but are scared to start it and burn out? Well, these games are designed to burn out over time, probably very quickly. This lets GMs experiment with a game idea and drop it or change it if it's not working. If you run a game here for a while and really like it, by all means continue it in another thread, freeing up another slot for another GM.

The GM sign-up sheet

Game title:
Short game description:
Desired color slot:

Player sign-up sheet, if any, may be included in the first post of your experimental game. Players, don't forget to include your color when signing up to a game! GMs, don't forget to include a player list if necessary! Waiting lists not recommended. Fear of disappointment discourages experimentation.

Color slots

Blue: Crystal Quest (A Final Fantasy suggestion game. Partially illustrated when I feel like it. Very much player-run.) [freeformschooler]
Red:
Green: Hammer of Thor: An AUTHENTIC Viking Adventure! (Illustrated adventure. About vikings. Rule of Funny prevails over trivial nonsense such as dramatic tension.) [Nirur Torir]
Purple: Palette (A suggestion game with color as a primary ...motif or whateveritiscalled. It's quite setting based and you'll learn more as you go on.) (Powder Miner
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:14:40 pm by freeformschooler »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Play-by-post Experiment Thread: Now taking experiments.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 04:49:27 pm »

Crystal Quest: Class Selection

Whose chapter first?

(Black Mage/Fighter)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:59:16 pm by freeformschooler »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 04:55:06 pm »

A interesting idea, although I do not see the need...

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 05:09:12 pm »

I know multiple people who have a tendency to make and unmake forum games on a whimsy. Aside from possibly aspiring GMs, this is for them so they don't have to sit around feeling like, "Well, I want to do this, but I'm already late on these..."

That includes me.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 05:48:26 pm »

CQ: Black Mage.
(Does anybody else find that the glow tag has stopped working?)

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 06:11:01 pm »

Crystal Quest

A young Golem stands in his/her/its (let's go with "her") apartment at the Briggston Magic Academy. It is her twelfth birthday.

What is her name?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:59:08 pm by freeformschooler »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 06:19:44 pm »

CQ: Elsie Brag

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 06:34:36 pm »

Game title: Merc.
Short game description: A futuristic mercenary suggestion RTD. Illustrated if I am good enough at drawing that particular day.
Desired color slot: Red

You are a mercenary in a spaceship. What's does your spaceship look like?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:36:08 pm by Scelly9 »
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 06:52:00 pm »

Something like this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 06:53:42 pm »

Elaine Marley
Like a giant hornet, but covered in peeling red paint.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 06:57:13 pm »

>Elsie Brag

That's right! Your name is ELSIE BRAG.

Your parents were both POWERFUL MAGES. For your first seven years of school, you were trained in the ELEMENTAL MAGICKS, which strangely only include about three of the regular elements. Maybe you'll get to the others some day? You don't like to brag, but you're pretty good at what you do. Okay, so you do like to brag. Today is your END OF SEMESTER TEST, which will include fighting a real live monster! You're so excited.

What will you do?

Merc. has been added to the red slot.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 08:33:21 pm by freeformschooler »

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2012, 07:01:12 pm »

Read all the books. All of them.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2012, 07:13:20 pm »

Examine textbooks.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hammer of Thor: An AUTHENTIC Viking Adventure!
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 07:18:38 pm »

Game title: Hammer of Thor: An AUTHENTIC Viking Adventure!
Short game description: Illustrated adventure. About vikings. Rule of Funny prevails over trivial nonsense such as dramatic tension.
Desired color slot:Green.

((I decided to learn the ancient and difficult skill of ART. As a precursor to a better illustrated game, I want to run this mini-adventure, as a skill building exercise. I was going to wait until getting better at drawing to start this, but ... I'll start now. Despite my perfectionism.))

You are a viking. The most important viking in your village, for a reason that will be explained after you answer these simple questions about yourself:
What is your name?
What is your village's name?
What is your race? (There is no inherent humor in a human or dwarf viking, but I'm willing to go with them anyway.)
  Cutebold. There's no possible way for us to effectively wield these heavy axes, especially while wearing heavy armor, but that's no obstacle to mighty warriors like us.
  Halfling: Like a cutebold, but much less cute and more gluttonous. Delicious lutefisk makes us strong.
  Lizardman. It builds character to be cold-blooded in the perpetually frozen lands of Scandinavia.
  High elf. Extreme arrogance will bring us victory.
  Dark elf. We are very ANGRY all the time!!! This makes us unsurpassed in combat!!!
  Black Magi. Multi-classed fighter/wizard raiding parties can overcome all odds.
  Something else suitably amusing? Wingless bipeds with two arms only, please.

Table of Contents

Update -1: The first picture.
Update 1: The protagonist awakes.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 10:10:51 pm by Nirur Torir »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 07:26:27 pm »

Name: Squishy
Village: Buddle Village
Race: Cutebold

Because 'bolds are the best race all the time forever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5