Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

Let's Play Fallout 3 Wanderer's Edition: The game broke. Have to cut short

(1/4) > >>

majikero:
This is my first LP so I'm open to suggestions about the technical stuff like hosting sites and image formats and stuff.

What is Fallout 3?

Fallout 3 is a game set in an alternate time where America was nuked to bits by the Communists. It has a very 90's feel, or was is 80's? Anyways, you take the role of the Lone Wanderer and explore the bombed out remains of Washington DC and it's surrounding land.

Gameplay

It's a bastard lovechild of RPG and 1st person shooter. You shoot things with a gun and gain experience points for it. It cuts out the best part of either style of game. That's why I'm modding it.

Mods used:

"Fallout Wanderer's Edition" is one of the best mods for fallout. It makes the game hard and more real then all the realistic graphic mods out there. Things die if shot in the head or body but less likely if shot in the arms or legs. Bringing a knife, no matter how sharp and pointy they are, to a gun fight is a bad idea. Swimming in the radioactive river is a fast way to die in a glowing, watery grave. Raiders won't attack you when there is a deathclaw running around trying to eat their face.

"Mart's Mutant mod" adds lots of monsters in the game. There is also a random chance to spawn a super mutant behemoth outside of scripted events, always a plus.

"Weapon mod kit" adds mods to vanilla weapons but not to the weapons added by FWE.

"Children of the Wasteland" makes the already short story quest believable. I rather see a child acting like a child looking for their father instead of a 18-year-old saying the same lines in this game. Also being short. This may seem minor but being short means most shots will hit your head for massive damage.

Also added some item mods for RP reasons.

Rules:
No looting armor and clothes. That's just gross.
No changing the clothes I've already picked out.
There is a special armor modded in that can be used that doesn't change the appearance. It's expensive and only up to 50 DR compare to power armors 85 DR I think.
FWE has a mod that requires eating, drinking and sleeping.
No chems outside of health recover chem thing.

Part 1

A father suddenly left. A daughter was prosecuted by her home and was cast out to the unforgiving world. Our heroine ventures forth to find the truth.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Aigis: Why am I wearing this again?

Pitt Gal: Because every robot girl wears a school uniform. Everyone knows that.

Aigis: But I'm not....

Pitt Gal: You heal minor cuts in a few minutes, heal major wounds after a few hours of rest and your bones are plated with metal. Oh, and you can use me to assist in your targeting. You even look like a doll. You are ,at the very least, an android.

(I added adamantine skeleton perk for RP reasons.)

Aigis: Where did you even get this?

Pitt Gal: Don't underestimate me. I'm better than any old Pip Boy.

Somewhere in Vault 101, a Pip boy silently cries.

Back to the story.

Our heroine, Aigis, cast out by her home, killing the security guards she knew her whole life, is now out looking for her father. As the light of day reaches her eyes, the sound of gun shots is heard nearby.

A few armed men gunning down some people turned on her. With her fathers trusty revolver, she manages to kill them all.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)The victims.
The attackers.

After looking over the dead and taking anything useful, she heads for the massive metal structure in the distance.

Pitt Gal: You sure are quick to loot the corpses.

Aigis: I lost half of my ammo!

(FWE makes fight much more deadly and epic. Instead of holding the trigger to kill things, every shot counts. I upped the ammo loot because the default option makes me spend all my ammo looking for ammo.)

She arrived at a massive metal gates. Inside is a small town. The local sheriff greets her and warns her to not cause trouble. He doesn't seem surprise at her appearance.

Noticing the large bomb in the middle of the town, she offered to take a look at it. If we manage to disarm the thing, the sheriff offered 100 caps. They use bottle caps as currency. It's fortunate that she brought along her bottle cap collection.

After poking at buttons and pulling some wires, the bomb made a small beep and didn't blow up. The guy talking in the pool of glowing water near the bomb didn't notice but the sheriff was impressed. He also game her a key to one of the houses here. Probably to make sure that if the bomb did go off in the future, she would be here when it happens.

The house is quite large and even comes with a robot. After taking some purified water from it, she went to the supply store to spend her newly acquired caps.

There, she met the owner named Moria. She instantly recognized our heroine as a vault dweller. Must be the strangeness of her appearance. This inspires her to write a book on how to survive the wasteland. Must be the helpless and clueless look.

To start of, she ask our heroine's opinion, being new to the wasteland. She wants to know life in the vault. Due to the recent events, the opinion is a bit sour.

To expand on the main issues going to be addressed in the book, she ask for three hands-on task.
1. Where to find food.
2. Effects of radiation.
3. Profit from land mines.

The first one sounds reasonable, so our heroine agrees to it without question. Moria even gives her a location on a likely place to find some. She even ask for some medical supplies, if there are any.

Aigis: I highly doubt there are any left. They're made like 200 years ago.

Pitt Gal: You'd be surprise on how tough food is back then. According to the data base from the vault, food from "Mcdonalds" should still taste the same. It may be a little radioactive but that might improve the flavor.

Aigis: Even if they did survive, will there be any left?

Pitt Gal: That's what she's basically asking for.

Our heroine went to the location pointed out by Moria. She was greeted by armed fellows, know as raiders by the locals. Due to the dust, our heroine was almost killed by half a dozen guns. With a well placed grenade, most were taken out and the survivors, were gunned down.

After taking the weapons and ammo from their still warm bodies, our heroine walks back to recover from the battle. The bodies hanging outside only adds to her worries.

Aigis: I don't think well have enough ammo if that is their base.

Pitt Gal: You should have taken their clothes to sell for caps.

Aigis: I can't! That's just gross and creepy.

Pitt Gal: We're low on caps, medicine and, possibly not have enough ammo. And you're worried about that? Just get some sleep, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

majikero:
The lack of comments disturb me. Must be the lack of action screenshots.

Here's what our supply situation looks like at the start.

Usable guns
.32 pistol (3/4 condition)
M3a1 "Grease Gun" (Full condition)
Wattz 1000 Laser Pistol (1/3 condition)
Widowmaker (1/4 condition)

Ammo
.32 (24)
.45 (54)
9x19mm (102)
energy cell (27)
shotgun shell (8)
frag (2)

Supplies
25 caps
3 stimpacks
4 bloatfly meat
1 brahman cheese
7 nuka-cola
1 quantum cola

Part 2

Pitt Gal: Rise and shine! It's time to wake up!

Aigis: What time is it?

Pitt Gal: It's only 4am. You slept at 4pm yesterday so don't complain. Now go eat and grab what you need. We have a busy day ahead.

After a simple meal of a lizard and a squirrel roasted on a stick.

Aigis: I wish we had more of those weird muffins.

Pitt Gal: It was that or the fly meat. Save the cheese to wash out the rads for later.

Aigis: I don't like risking my life for centuries old food.

Pitt Gal: Until we have something to cook with, you have to settle for raw meat or old food.

Our heroine grumbles as she makes her way to her destination. The dark sky is a beautiful sight despite the small dust clouds. Quietly entering the building, the sounds of foot steps and voices can be heard in the distance.

Pitt Gal: Rush for the bathroom. We can use the hall as a choke point.

Aigis rushed for the bathrooms, shooting the 3 guards inside. The plan worked, despite the wounds sustained.

Using the choke point, she manages to kill the raiders that rushed to the fight.

A bit of a rest to calm the nerves. There were a few chems here but not much else.

Pitt Gal: Careful, they know we're here now. If they group together, use the frags we have left.

In FWE, explosions can knockdown anything caught in the blast.

The following battle was to hectic to properly record. Needless to say, grenades are used liberally. The remaining survivors are shot before they could recover from the blast.

The building is in silence. Our heroine loots the dead for the spoils of war and makes her way the the ultimate prize.

This will not stop us.

Our prize.

Pitt Gal: There's some medical supplies but not much. Some drinks and alcohol. Oooh, a mini-nuke!

Aigis: How can we even use that? The grenades are great though. I rather not mess with the robot here.

Pitt Gal: The robot will probably just blow up anyways. The nuke is worth a lot of caps, I bet. It'll keep it away from you explode happy hands into the someone else's explode happy hands.

Aigis: Hey! I am not like that. Yay, there's more grenades here. Some mines too.

One of my tag skills is explosives. Boom of the Boom God.

Pitt Gal: Wait! Get down.

Pitt Gal: Some sort of raiding party came back.

Aigis: This is bad. What's our supply situation?

Usealbe weapons
.32 pistol (7 .32 ammo)

Browning Hi-power pistol (169 9x19mm ammo)
Sten M3 SMG

Colt .45 (25 .45 ammo)
M3a1 Grease Gun

Chinese Pistol (32 10mm ammo)
Pipe rifle

Wattz 1000 Laser Pistol (27 energy cell)

Widowmaker(8 shotgun shells)

5 frag mine
7 frag grenade

Pitt Gal: The Sten would help our ammo problem but it's in poor condition. Jamming could cost us. The Browning is weak and in poor shape. Don't use the frags here! It's the only worthwhile thing we found in this dump.

It's hard to take action screenshots. It keeps getting me killed. Sorry about that. Also, it's hard to make LPs. I have new found respect to those who do this regularly.

Comments are welcome. Even grammar corrections, I really need to practice my English writing. Tips on how to improve this LP is welcome as well.

Stworca:
Do you have some software to make screenshots, use the in-game screenshot taking or do something completely different?
It's not the lack of action screenshots that doesn't attract attention, but rather lack of any ss's at all.

You start the game : video intro - if you wish to use the game intro, followed by : screenshot of the surroundings, of your character (unless you go all RP and don't really see yourself until you encounter a mirror.. thus : never in this game), of abilitiy tree, of first steps, of the pip-girl attached to your hand.
You move a few steps forward, you see a house : screen.
You bash on the house doors with a chewed bone : screen.
You murder the people inside for their trinkets : screen... you get the idea. Document the actions you're making.

Many people didn't play FNV, and thus know not what's going on : at all.

Furthermore : The mods You've picked are all fun, and i can recommend all of them, and give kudos to you for playing with them, but without :
a - TONS of screenshots taken every few seconds (or using VATS, it's great tool for screenshot taking), or
b - video LP
they will remain unnoticed for the most part.

In short : You've picked a very difficult thing to do a text LP of.
It IS looking good, but is not too easy to get into, if you (him) don't know the game.

majikero:
Thanks for the tips. I kinda knew about the lack of screen shots. I'll try to get more, even if it's after the battles. It might just be pictures of the dead bodies though. Can't do video LPs. My laptop can't handle a 1st person game and FRAPS running at the same time.

Also, any tips to prevent Fallout 3 from crashing? Sometimes it goes BSOD, sometimes it runs for hours just fine.

Delta Foxtrot:

--- Quote from: majikero on January 27, 2012, 04:27:28 pm ---Also, any tips to prevent Fallout 3 from crashing? Sometimes it goes BSOD, sometimes it runs for hours just fine.

--- End quote ---

It might have nothing to do with cooling, but just in case it has:
When's the last time you cleaned your laptop? For a month or so I had been getting BSOD's semi regularly. I opened up my laptop and cleaned all the dust out (good +2 years worth of it) and it has been running just fine since then. (Excess) dust can cause problems with cooling while Fallout causes the laptop to overheat.

You don't mess with dust 'n computers.

Also make sure you check the cause of your BSOD. ITS_WRITTEN_IN_BIG_LETTERS shortly before your computer shuts down so you should be able to spot it. Googling the error afterwards should give you a hint (is the problem hardware, software, memory, hard drive or what?).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version