Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Interest Poll:

Alien Oriented LP(I do enjoy playing alien more)
- 6 (30%)
Xcom Oriented LP
- 2 (10%)
Both an Xcom and an Alien LP
- 12 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: X-Com: The Two Sides Multiplayer LP  (Read 2464 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
X-Com: The Two Sides Multiplayer LP
« on: January 27, 2012, 03:37:58 pm »

So I was wondering what level of interest there would be for a MP LP?

Essentially, I would grab a member of the forum through Steam chat, and we would, at a snail's pace, play a game of X-com. Probably one update = 1/2 - 1 month. I would have to be skimpish on the action(no turn by turn plays :P).

Since its competitive, you wouldn't be able to pick specific weapon layouts and such for X-com soldiers. However, you could claim existing ones.

On that note, this sort of LP also opens up the possibility of an alien LP, instead of the usual X-com. There wouldn't be claimable soldiers, and I'm not too sure it would lean itself as much toward an LP. However, if there's more interest, I will go with it.

For any of you naysayers, the person I'll be playing with will agree to wait until the end of the game to look at the thread. Or hey, we could both do opposite LPs and you guys can chuckle as we make false guesses.

This may happen tomorrow, next week, or not at all. I just want to know if there's interest, and what flavor it should be in?(X-com, Alien, or both?)
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: X-Com: The Two Sides Multiplayer LP
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 04:19:11 pm »

I'm very interested in this LP.  But you should probably warn people that this game is no longer available, before you get bombarded with requests.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 05:52:48 pm »

But you should probably warn people that this game is no longer available, before you get bombarded with requests.
I just got 0.98b, by googleing for 90 seconds, so it can't be that hard. That being said the game is no longer in development or getting support from the author. All because someone one at 2K got worried we'd confuse it with their fancy shooter.  >:(
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:29:25 pm »

Actually, 2K also has a tactical squad based game in the works.

But I share your anger.  I liked being able to play the aliens.  Nobody wants to make an game about an alien invasion from the alien's standpoint.  :'(

Did the developer make an AI for X-Com prior to quiting?  That was the feature I most wanted.

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 07:42:41 pm »

Nobody wants to make an game about an alien invasion from the alien's standpoint.  :'(

Universe at War: Earth Assault, maaan.
Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 11:59:02 am »

so... do you need someone to play as aliens, or do you have someone lined up already?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 12:25:34 pm »

so... do you need someone to play as aliens, or do you have someone lined up already?

Comp already offered. He might not commit to the LP, but at the very least it should be an interesting match. We are fairly evenly skilled.

Also, I'm going to throw up a poll for those people who don't feel like posting.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 01:40:36 pm »

Seeing an LP of this would be fun and I'd love to play, but my schedule may not allow such.  I'll get on the Steam chat next time I boot up Windows.  It's just too much trouble to get Steam (or UFO) running on Linux...

And yes, the game is no longer developed nor supported, but this is an LP forum.  It would make more sense (and reduce clutter) to go up a level and find/create a thread in Other Games if you want to discuss that.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 05:01:11 pm »

If a turn is going to take half a month to make, then I'd suggest trying to organize several LPs at the same time on this thread, done by different groups of players. That way interest can still be maintained by everybody, and we'd get to see the alien side a lot more often, which is probably going to be the central focus of this thread. After all, we've seen a lot of LPs as X-COM, but not as the aliens.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 05:05:49 pm »

If a turn is going to take half a month to make, then I'd suggest trying to organize several LPs at the same time on this thread, done by different groups of players. That way interest can still be maintained by everybody, and we'd get to see the alien side a lot more often, which is probably going to be the central focus of this thread. After all, we've seen a lot of LPs as X-COM, but not as the aliens.

Oh. I worded that badly. I meant an update would be 1/2 month IN game. Updates, depending on how I do them, can go two ways. Comp and I usually play a power game for like 2-3 ingame months per sitting. But we may end up only playing games on the weekend. So I could either split up the updates over the course of the week, or just have one huge update once a week.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 05:08:11 pm »

Oh. I worded that badly. I meant an update would be 1/2 month IN game. Updates, depending on how I do them, can go two ways. Comp and I usually play a power game for like 2-3 ingame months per sitting. But we may end up only playing games on the weekend. So I could either split up the updates over the course of the week, or just have one huge update once a week.

Wow. I completely misunderstood you. An update for half a month of in game time makes perfect sense (though some of the early ones would be uneventful).

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 05:10:38 pm »

Wow. I completely misunderstood you. An update for half a month of in game time makes perfect sense (though some of the early ones would be uneventful).

Oh, I think Orb could launch a terror mission in the first half month.  So that should be interesting.   :D

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 05:17:02 pm »

Oh, I think Orb could launch a terror mission in the first half month.  So that should be interesting.   :D

Oh. That would be suicide for me. I usually wait until I get snakemen before I go terror. Maybe floaters. Floaters wreck havoc in cities.

Comp112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 09:05:18 pm »

Damn floaters, they tore me up in the city last time.

Decided to just shoot down all of his UFO's instead. Oh, also, in this he cannot do Terror missions until March...

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 11:15:15 pm »

Welp. Looks like Comp and I will be starting our respective LPs tomorrow, since democracy hath wanted two LPs. I'll be starting mine after we play for a bit, and Comp will start his shortly after this post. I'll be making a new thread for it.

If I may make one request: While Comp and I will not be looking at each others' threads, you guys will likely be following both. Please do not share information you gained from one thread in the other. Since I will be reading my thread(for suggestions and general discussion), I would rather not come across information that would put me in an advantage. At the very least, spoiler it. I won't read spoilers until I'm done with the game.
Pages: [1] 2