Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Automaton Fortress (3.0) (is rly dead)  (Read 32365 times)

Glitch(TMG)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automaton Fortress (3.0)
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2012, 12:12:25 pm »

Ah, hmm. That's interesting. And I suppose that's why there are 'female' automatons, despite that they should be genderless? I wonder....how are eggs created? Is it in any way possible to have an egg spawn from a reaction at a workshop? if so, fluffwise it could be adjusted that automatons are first created in little "proto-form" machines (the eggs) that assemble them, and then they "hatch" when the proto-machine finishes the assembly. And, as you said, only the brass-type or better automatons can create these proto-machines.

...and hey! I -knew- there was a missing metal in there! You have Copper, Brass, Steel and Diamond automatons? It should be Copper, Brass, Iron, and Steel automatons! Just so that they're -all- a metal.

Maybe once I start learning how to mod myself, I can try and do this on my own...hmm.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2012, 12:58:08 pm »

The Egg idea would work, if Brass was male (or one of them) and the egg layer was female and [PET] of course you would have to frobid every edd layed or restrict eggs from food stockpiles. I haven't had much time to work on the [FEMALE][PET][LAYS_EGGS] creature castes yet, but from what Ive gathered from around here it should work.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2012, 06:11:43 pm »

Nope. Only eggs from married couples will hatch.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2012, 06:12:56 pm »

Nope. Only eggs from married couples will hatch.
Even if the female is a pet? What about live births?

Dub

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2012, 05:46:35 am »

Some more ideas for auto:

entity:
    [TOY:ITEM_TOY_PICTOGRAPH]
    [TOY:ITEM_TOY_PUNCHED_CARD]
    [TOY:ITEM_TOY_COGWHEEL]
    [TOY:ITEM_TOY_TRIGGER]
    [TOY:ITEM_TOY_TRANSISTOR]
    [INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_BUZZER]
    [INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_HOWLER]

items:
[OBJECT:ITEM]

[ITEM_TOY:ITEM_TOY_PICTOGRAPH]
[NAME:pictograph:pictographs]

[ITEM_TOY:ITEM_TOY_PUNCHED_CARD]
[NAME:punched card:punched cards]

[ITEM_TOY:ITEM_TOY_COGWHEEL]
[NAME:cogwheel:cogwheels]
[HARD_MAT]

[ITEM_TOY:ITEM_TOY_TRIGGER]
[NAME:trigger:triggers]
[HARD_MAT]

[ITEM_TOY:ITEM_TOY_TRANSISTOR]
[NAME:transistor:transistors]
[METAL_MAT]

[ITEM_INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_BUZZER]
[NAME:buzzer:buzzers]
[HARD_MAT]

[ITEM_INSTRUMENT:ITEM_INSTRUMENT_HOWLER]
[NAME:howler:howlers]
[HARD_MAT]

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2012, 04:59:27 pm »

I'm not sure if this would work at all but could you use a modded necromancer interaction to animate statues?

Build and place statue, make it so a special automaton has to come close to animate it, that way you can make a room of inert drones that can be activated when needed without risking the haulers activating them while placing the statues, this way you save fps while simultaneously being able to build up a decent army reserve just waiting to be given the "spark of life".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2012, 05:58:23 pm »

The problem with that is that statues don't have any sort of body parts, so animating them wouldn't do anything at all.

Varyag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 29, 2012, 05:36:01 pm »

With my very limited experience modding DF I figured one could add body parts to them using the same interaction that animates them or animate + transform into automaton.

Then i thought that if that wouldn't work, how about a workshop reaction with a specific corpse as product?

Tried messing around with this myself but started in the end with trying and failing to figure out how to make an animated/resurrected corpse friendly and useful in the same manner your dwarves are, that is, labor and military assignment. Having failed to do this I canned the idea of trying the two above mentioned suggestions until this issue is resolved.

Now, someone with vastly more experience modding raws might be able to get this working, I however am completely stuck so I'm just throwing my ideas out there just in case something I suggest is actually workable at this stage.

Scratch that last part, think i figured out what i did wrong while reading the forums.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 06:04:51 pm by Varyag »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2012, 02:56:17 pm »

Is this still being worked on?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2012, 05:08:23 pm »

If you want, you can make new stuff and send it to me or look it over and take stuff. I'll still maintain the files and stuff.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2012, 05:14:27 pm »

Righto I'll get back then if I got anything of interest, I take it "look it over and take stuff" is a go for using material (with credit)

EDIT:
Download button is a bit difficult to click, had to click the farthest right of the text. Almost had to resort to punching that url in by hand
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 05:16:17 pm by Hugo_The_Dwarf »

Nopkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2012, 10:28:07 pm »

I've been trying for quite some time to expand this mod quite a bit. unfortunately things always go wrong, gears fly out of them at spawn, they fall apart (literally) some castes don't appear and what have you.

My idea is to expand on the castes, creating variants of all sorts.

Military: Automatons made of industrialized metals (copper/bronze/iron/steel/Titanium/adamantine) each being more efficient in combat than the last, but subsequently more rare

Crafters Automatons made of gems and/or precious metals (Zinc/silver/gold/ruby/sapphire/platinum) each being better at certain crafting skills.

take these a step further and say that copper automatons learn to use a spear 5% faster than any other automaton, but steel automatons learn Axes/Swords at a higher rate than others, etc etc.

Items Items/weapons/armor could also have that "automaton" flair, being labeled Modifications instead of clothes and armor. their core isn't changed, or skin really, just a layer added on, or modified so as not to create RAW errors.

More later perhaps, depends on if anyones interested in this mod still

-Jobs are to be assigned to Dwarves in alphabetical order, regardless of skill or specialization.

dbay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2012, 09:05:38 pm »

Just perusing through, and had an idea you might like (someone may have mentioned it already, I only read the first two pages) but you can use interactions and natural weapons to give the automatons built-in weaponry. Say you have a caste of steel automatons that, instead of having two hands, has one hand and a plasma cannon that fires (ie, can do solid splatter breath attack material emissions that require the body part PLASMA_CANNON or something), where the plasma is a modded-in high-temp material, maybe with some kind of syndrome if you'd like. Alternatively, you can have machine guns, muskets (create a cloud of smoke at the firer when shooting?), auto-crossbows, or what have you. The reason I suggest interactions over weapons is that they're more moddable in terms of range and rate of fire, although less so in terms of projectile shape. Natural weapons would make good cylon-esque claws and such.
I don't know much about steampunk, so I don't know what, if anything, that I've suggested would be thematically appropriate, but it would be cool. For the taser suggestion earlier, short-range interactions that cause burn syndromes and temporary paralysis would work perfectly.

EDIT: Also, re: spawning, I think the other way to create new automatons is to transform other creatures into them via interactions, although I doubt you'd want automatons to create others by harvesting corpses and re-animating them as automatons. Also, armok only knows the kinds of bugs that would cause

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2013, 06:05:40 pm »

I like his idea....That, and I think they need some weapons for their own kinds. Like lasers.
Or rockets.
Or launchable fists.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2013, 11:46:45 pm »

oooh, maybe replace goblins with autonomatons made from scrap metal or rust bits.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5