Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: We're too late, Obama signed ACTA  (Read 41506 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: We're too late, Obama signed ACTA
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2012, 07:32:13 am »

Aqizzar, fear the limitless power of HTML 5. At least I think that's what's happening.

Also, Yahoo? Why Yahoo?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2012, 10:34:59 am »

Well, now this is interesting.  I'm trying to go to 4chan on a lark, and while I can see the frontpage, and see the Latest Posts changing so I know people can access it, trying to go to any board gives me a failed connection.  "Boards.4chan.org" does not exist, says a Yahoo-powered page branded "COMODO: Creating Trust Online" which I have never seen before.  And the address bar includes some ominous tagging bits like "secured" and "intercept".

However, it appears to be a bit intermittent - sometimes it connects, sometimes it doesn't, every few minutes or so.  And my Tor browser (Vidalia) can access it regardless.  I have a very strong suspicion that I am somehow being blocked from viewing 4chan.  How interesting.

Perhaps your browser was hijacked?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2012, 03:19:27 pm »

I hope the FBI isn't trying to do to 4chan what they did to Megaupload. There will be chaos if they do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 24, 2012, 03:21:12 pm »

I hope the FBI isn't trying to do to 4chan what they did to Megaupload.
Wouldn't surprise me if they were.

99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 24, 2012, 03:42:51 pm »

To me, the FBI is just a bunch of jealous spoilsports.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 24, 2012, 06:51:46 pm »

Loads fine for me.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2012, 07:05:33 pm »

Aqizzar, fear the limitless power of HTML 5. At least I think that's what's happening.

Also, Yahoo? Why Yahoo?

Umm yeah... I've seen a couple alarmingly worded headlines, but haven't got around to actually looking into it yet.

So what's the deal with HTML 5 supposedly introducing a bunch of "DRM-like" features?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 24, 2012, 07:44:41 pm »

now, I'm no good with this, is an approval rating of 50% good, bad or meh?

Well imagine you're one of the most important people in the world, and it's your job to make decisions every day that directly effect the lives of hundreds of millions and sometimes even billions of people... and half or more of those people think you're doing a bad job.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 24, 2012, 10:09:17 pm »

Well, Obama isn't so bad when you consider the fact that any of the people who are going to run against him are the kind of people that would pass ACTA and SOPA in a heartbeat.

Like I have said before IRL, the only reason I would vote Obama is if everyone running against him was worse.
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 24, 2012, 10:11:14 pm »

Most voting choices these days seem to involve lesser evils.

Wait, 'these days'?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 24, 2012, 10:12:34 pm »

My response to the question wasn't meant to have any election relevance.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 24, 2012, 10:18:15 pm »

Eh, to be honest, someone who manages to please anywhere near half of the people surveyed are happy with him, he's doing a pretty good dance. Not a good job, per se, but a good job of convincing people he's doing a good job.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 24, 2012, 10:25:14 pm »

Well, when you consider that there is no group in America that is 50% or more of the population it sounds okay to me.

Actually I think white people are still 50+%. So there is that I guess.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 25, 2012, 05:30:53 am »

Look at the statistics of when Obama won. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2008

Only 53% of the voting population (69.5 million) voted for him. 

All that hope and change and people wanting to be a part of history for a little over half of the vote. 

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #269 on: February 25, 2012, 11:36:43 am »

I found some stats on presidential approval rating over the past 60 years. And here's more, with disapproval ratings, too.

From those graphs and numbers, it looks like Obama's actually been one of the more consistent presidents we've had. Granted, he hasn't been in for the whole four years, yet, but he's weighed in from 65% at the beginning of his term to 45% near the 2010 mark. Compare that to other presidents, who could drop 30 to 40 points in the course of one term, or fluctuate like a mad man.

He is following the trend that most modern presidents follow (With Clinton being the exception), in that his approval rating is lower than it was when he first took office. Other presidents had wars and such to bolster and deflate them, too, and Obama's only been dealing with the after effects of war and some minor conflicts.

Looking at the end of the Wall Street Journal graph, it looks like his rating has actually gone up during the whole ACTA/SOPA debacle (Probably because of the Bin Laden deal). I think the problem is that there just isn't enough noise to either make him back off. My biggest worry is that if someone else gets elected this year he'll just turns around and keep supporting it, despite all of the Republican candidates opposing SOPA. Obama opposed SOPA, too.

It looks like the newest polls have Obama fairly low on the approval/disapproval scale, though. Only the New York Times and CBS News have the approval rating significantly above the disapproval rating in the past few months (And that's the most recent). Everyone else has it about even, or the disapproval slightly above the approval.

Most voting choices these days seem to involve lesser evils.

I've felt the same way since forever. I've always wanted a serious Independent Party candidate - Someone who's smart enough not to jump on anything one party throws into the air and actually make some good, down-to-earth decisions for the folks. The system is geared towards people who lean one way or another, making it hard for someone who isn't conservative or liberal 'enough' to have a serious chance of winning. That's another thread, though...
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20