Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question about Archery  (Read 3549 times)

Spirit of Power

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Archery
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 03:38:21 pm »

How are bows and crossbows supposed to work?  I've been carrying a crossbow and some bolts around with me in adventure mode, but when I use the "f" key to fire it, it tells me I have nothing left to fire.  The help menu in the game and the wiki aren't giving any good information either.

(r)emove the arrows/bolts from your backpack first, (w)ear a quiver, and then (p)ut the arrows/bolts in your quiver :D

I seem to remember never using quivers, I think you just have to hold some in your hand and you can fire. Not sure though, never really used archery much, I prefer cutting things in half with an axe or sword.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 05:17:36 pm »

Ok, I got it to work, but the mechanics feel pretty clunky.  And I see what you guys mean about long reload times, I'm not sure if ranged weapons are really worth the bother.   Prolly should stick to throwing fluffy wamblers.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Aiki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 10:07:38 am »

Ok, I got it to work, but the mechanics feel pretty clunky.  And I see what you guys mean about long reload times, I'm not sure if ranged weapons are really worth the bother.   Prolly should stick to throwing fluffy wamblers.

lol you should better throw indeed

i've tried archery several times and failed miserably not knowing about the high reload time. I thought my computer speeds up the game, passing too much time in game that i get mortal wound or something and die after lol.
"A dwarf loves his beard more than his near."

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 03:20:31 pm »

I do have to admit I would like an option to not reload the crossbow immediately. It being a second command that still took the same amount of time would be more fun to me. That way I could still fire off a shot before getting into melee. Or I can pull a John Woo kind of situation and have a doezen loaded crossbows at the ready to fire and throw at enemies without wasting all that time reloading.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 10:12:45 pm »

I love having archery as a backup; I'll train it up to master or higher before using it, but I basically have it as an opening move. Peppering stuff full of bolts until they get close enough to hack apart.

Hybrid

• Bay Watcher
  • Strife M.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 03:30:16 pm »

Ah, archery, pretty much the 1st class (or however it was called) I used for adventuring. It can be rough at times, but is quite fun. Those times when you manage to get a lucky shot and hit an enemy right in to the heart, making that poor bastard bleed to death 3 turns later... Yeah...

The reload time can be compensated if you can hit the foe and make him/her back off or flee. Groups and those fast wrestlers, though...
Pages: 1 [2]