Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: This is sad...  (Read 4031 times)

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
This is sad...
« on: January 30, 2012, 05:20:27 pm »

Reading over my legends in the last world I generated there is a dragon that killed a few dozen other great beasts, as well as many kobold and goblin historical figures.

It eventually became a lawgiver of a civilization, until that civilization fell.

It wandered the wilds killing an elf here and there for the next hundred years, ripped the leg of a minotaur and just proceeded to zoom about the world being an epic creature of greatness.

As far as I could see, this dragon was an adventurer, traveling the world, seeing the sights, and riding the world of great dangers after foolishly trying to lead the tiny squishy mortals to enlightenment. What was his reward for all his actions?

He was killed by an elf. That was married to a cousin. The elf then starved to death within the year they battled.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: This is sad...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 05:50:28 pm »

You could regenerate the world with the same seeds and stop it prior to the dragon's death. Or better yet, to a time when the dragon still ruled over mankind.
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 05:52:54 pm »

Minor nitpick: that was a demon, not a dragon.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 06:02:45 pm »

If not, give us a screenshot. Now. If this is true, and it is a dragon,than we might have a another legendary story on our hands.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 06:43:33 pm »

Herp derp elf is herp derp.

Perchance we could see the full story? :P

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 09:04:13 pm »

Hold on, abandoning fortress since this update doesn't have too long to go.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 09:25:14 pm »

Hey, there's a Tolkien story about a human adventurer who slays the dragon, only to get his sister pregnant and commit suicide in the same year.

So it's not like hero-stupidity is without precedence  :P
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 09:39:31 pm »

Haven't found them yet, but I did find a goblin that spent 5 years being attacked at intervals by a jaguar before becoming a farmer.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 02:31:07 am »

Uh, you sure it was a dragon? Megabeasts haven't ruled civilizations from what I've heard, demons do that O_o

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 02:56:22 am »

Hey, there's a Tolkien story about a human adventurer who slays the dragon, only to get his sister pregnant and commit suicide in the same year.

It's a damn good Tolkein story, too. Best and purest heroic epic you'll find in modern literature.

Diicc Tater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 03:14:44 am »

It's a damn good Tolkein story, too. Best and purest heroic epic you'll find in modern literature.

Túrin, son of Húrin Thalion, brother of Niënor, bane of Glaurung.

He wouldn't have lasted a day in an average for tho....
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 03:16:37 am by Diicc Tater »

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes elves for their screaming, bubbling noises.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2012, 05:55:25 am »

Turin cancels impregnate Nienor: interrupted by Glaurung.
Turin cancels slay Glaurung: interrupted by magma deployment
The dragon Glaurung has been struck down!
The hero Turin Turambar has died in the heat!
Urist McDorfyDorf has withdrawn from society ...
Urist McDorfyDorf has created TolkienBane, a Nienor bone hatch! All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of Turin bone. It menaces with spikes of dragon bone. On it is a masterwork image of Glaurung the dragon. Glaurung the dragon is surrounded by dorfs. Glaurung the dragon is making a plaintive gesture. The dorfs are striking a menacing pose. On it is a masterwork image of Turin Turambar. Turin Turambar is surrounded by dorfs. Turin Turambar is melting. The dorfs are laughing. On it is a masterwork image of JRR Tolkien and Toady One. JRR Tolkien is making a plaintive gesture. Toady One is striking a menacing pose. This image relates to the extreme dorfiness of Dwarf Fortress.
stopped zombie cats from adopting dwarves

... with magma.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2012, 09:49:23 am »

Turin cancels impregnate Nienor: interrupted by Glaurung.
Turin cancels slay Glaurung: interrupted by magma deployment
The dragon Glaurung has been struck down!
The hero Turin Turambar has died in the heat!
Urist McDorfyDorf has withdrawn from society ...
Urist McDorfyDorf has created TolkienBane, a Nienor bone hatch! All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of Turin bone. It menaces with spikes of dragon bone. On it is a masterwork image of Glaurung the dragon. Glaurung the dragon is surrounded by dorfs. Glaurung the dragon is making a plaintive gesture. The dorfs are striking a menacing pose. On it is a masterwork image of Turin Turambar. Turin Turambar is surrounded by dorfs. Turin Turambar is melting. The dorfs are laughing. On it is a masterwork image of JRR Tolkien and Toady One. JRR Tolkien is making a plaintive gesture. Toady One is striking a menacing pose. This image relates to the extreme dorfiness of Dwarf Fortress.
I just woke up someone in the next room laughing at this and the line under your avatar. You sir win the day.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2012, 12:08:47 pm »

I just woke up someone in the next room laughing at this and the line under your avatar. You sir win the day.

I am currently attempting the delicate art of "laughing at non-work material at work and not getting fired for it."

That thread is epic.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2012, 01:39:43 pm »

"laughing at non-work material at work and not getting fired for it."

If you constantly laugh inappropriately at everything, no one will suspect a thing!

>Best plan ever.
Pages: [1] 2