Other Projects > Play With Your Buddies

Let's Play (another) Aurora! Hooray! (doomed to die, fyi)

(1/37) > >>

Goron:
First, this game is doomed to go dormant. Once CK2 comes out I will (likely) drop this like a hot potato and never look back. That said, read at your own risk.

Pretty simple game, nothing too exciting. No invaders, I'll try star swarm, even though I don't really enjoy them. I will also be handling commander promotions myself for the first time.... hopefully I don't mess that up too bad. I'm going to aim hard for the role playing aspect, so don't always expect me to game it or do the most bestest actions.
Also, I play under the assumption that communications are uber-FTL.

Home:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Notice the high starting population and research lab amount... oh, and the conventional industry)

The year is 2025. Recent world-wide disaster(s) have killed off over half the population of the world. The great and mighty United States swept in to the rescue and united the entire world under one government.

During said disaster(s) some major scientific leaps lead to the discovery of trans Newtonian elements:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)Concentrations are mixed but total known amounts are great. Some of the world's existing industry has already been adapted to mine and refine the newly discovered elements... Many claim those who believe in trans-nutonian uses for such 'magical' elements are crazy dreamers... But despite this an imaginative, methodical 21 year old biologist named Thad Batholomay has been working to prove the naysayers wrong. Thad hopes the research into the new elements will unlock biological solutions to many of the world's diseases...

Meanwhile, the governor of Earth, Elissa Mcbroom, will try to steer the post disaster(s) world to success. Her first order of business is to get more talented leaders trained and available to mankind. She orders all available industry to begin work on a new state of the art military academy.

(Notice my clever explanation for one nation, with low population? I'm so clever.)

Edit:
Also, feel free to join in with me here. People are free to claim and name and such.

Goron:
March 1, 2025

Breakthrough. During a massive televised and hyped announcement, the young Thad Bartholomay announced a breakthrough in research into Trans-Newtonian technology. Governor Elissa Mcbroom quickly takes steps to nationalize the research and all following studies. Military leaders try to convince Mcbroom to force the research into secrecy, fearing the potential of such new technology from getting into the wrong hand, but it is too late. Bartholomay distributed his work for publishing prior to the official announcement.
It is now a Trans-Newtonian world.

The potential technological advancements are limited only by imagination, at this point. The use and future importance of trans-newtonian elements is also made apparent... and despite previously imagined 'massive' deposits of such elements, scientists are craving for more.
Although Bartholomay's research failed to yield his desired biological uses for the TN elements, he is considered a world hero. Who needs the cure for cancer when you can potentially make super missiles and automate production in ways never before imagined? Thad, an amateur geologist (25%!), is quickly tapped to lead a team to re-survey Earth for TN elements.

Governor Mcbroom also mandates that the world should fully embrace TN technology and the progress it allows. She mandates that all conventional industry should immediately begin utilizing Bartholomay's research to improve. Work on the previously important military academy is put on hold while the world's industry begins converting to TN factories and mines.

May 6, 2025
Bartholomay's rurvey of Earth quickly yields positive results. The geology team discovers an additional deposite of 100,000 Boronide deep under the mountains of the Pervuian state.
Unfortunately the new Boronide is just as unaccessible as the existing known deposits...
And even more unfortunate, Thay bartholomay delivers a report to Governor Mcbroom declaring Earth to be fully surveyed. No new deposits will be found.
The report is accepted and Thad's team is disbanded.

Upon returning to the scientific community, Bartholomay is utterly disappointed to find his research space and resources have been allocated to other projects. Top missile and sensors teams have been working around the clock to untap military potential of the TN elements and are getting all of the government grants...
When Thad brought his protests to governor Mcbroom he found himself recognized in a public ceremony, awarded the Newton Award, and ushered into obscurity...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
June 25, 2025
Less than six months after Bartholomay's work into Trans-Newtonian technology was announced there have been over three major scientific breakthroughs in missile technology. Governor Mcbroom has given military leaders free reign to put their top missile and kinetic weapons scientists to work in government labs. The leading scientific community consists of two missile experts, one sensors expert, and one defensive systems expert. While they have all been given work, the missiles and kinetic weapons scientists have been allocated the greatest number of resources and labs to conduct their research.

December 11, 2025
During a quiet and not well publicized event, the leading sensor and fire control scientist unveiled recent research completed on geological survey sensors. The research project, although well funded, was not deemed very 'exciting' by the public, administration, or military. The lead scientist took on the project following an assessment of the time and resource investment put into Thad Bartholomay's on-site geo-survey of Earth. The young sensors scientist wanted to develop a way to perform geological surveys from greater distances and remote tools, rather than having to put boots on the ground across the globe...
The work seemed valuable at first, but once the government discovered that even more research would need to go into developing a a method to get a geo-sensor into the orbit of Earth in order to utilize the new technology, further projects were shut down. The sensors scientist was put onto a new project to study a new and improved form of what could only be related to radar or sonar: active grav sensors.

Sarganto:
Always happy to see more Aurora LPs/AARs. Really enjoy reading these.

Seems like you got yourself a rather easy start. 3 billion people and a huge resource base - is there actually any need to colonize?  :P

In your case I wouldn't press for colonization too fast, rather concentrate on building more research labs and building more&larger shipyards, so you can skip some of the small/slow/ineffective ship designs.
So just producing a small armada of geo/grav survey ships should be enough.

Goron:
Yeah, after a couple of 500m population conventional games I wanted to try something a little... Different.

And since I really don't like TN starts for some reason I figured a 'big' conventional start would be a fun experiment. This way I also don't need to spend 10 years just getting off the ground.

I probably should have set sun warming or cooling turned on, to create a need to do something, but oh well... I just want to have a bit of fun with this while it lasts:-)

I will not be colonizing any time soon as there is no 'need'. Heck, maybe I'll have fun and try making a new breakaway nation on earth... Never done that before.
But, once the TN elements start to dwindle, it will be the reason to go to space. But I may play with a space station or two just for fun before that.
That said, I have no reason to be building shipyards right now. But, of you'd like to take the role of a civilian administrator you can push for space exploration- or else I'll have to make a newt Gingrich NPC to do it for me:-)

Although there is no assignment for civ admin yet that doesn't mean they cannot be involved in the politics until openings show up... That and I am going to rp elections in 3 years, so Mcbroom may not be gov of Earth forever...

Goron:
June 11, 2026
"Governor Mcbroom, we have a problem." The notice began... In early May a longevity feasibility study sponsored by Earth Academy was conducted regarding the state of TN element deposits, access, and usage on Earth.
The initial geological survey reports were all very optimistic and favorable when considering the vast deposits of TN elements under the surface of earth. Thay Bartholomay's discovery of 100,000 tons of Boronide under the Peruvian mountains further bolstered the optimistic outlook of TN mining ans usage operations. But, as the months passed and Mcbroom's mandate to Trans-Newtonian-ise the world's industry started in earnest, a niche group of scientists and researchers, include the outcast Bartholomay himself, started to see a frightening trend. Although the production of mines was increasing at an exponential rate, the usage of TN elements was increasing as well.
With Bartholomay as leading researcher, a team of Earth's scientists took on the monumental task of itemizing all of Earth's current and projected industrial production and consumption of TN materials. The study, titled "Longevity of Earth's natural Trans-Newtonian Elements", presented some stark and disappointing facts to the scientific community: Trans-Newtonian elements are finite and limited.
The research team spent most of early June double checking numbers, triple checking facts, and finally drafting a simple but strong message to Governor Mcbroom.
The notice detailed, in simple language, that Earth was like to run out of TN elements sooner rather than later. In all possibility, Mcbrooms mandate to TNize industry would be impossible given the current and projected usage of TN elements available. Not only would earth likely outstrip usage of refined TN elements within as little as a year, but earth would likely also mine and refine all known deposits of many elements within a decade- much less for some given the continued growth of the mining industry.
Although the elements vital to TNizing industry and consumer use remain in abundance, the huge investment in mining and refining of the (currently) unused  less available elements would go to waste in a short time, the global impact on the economy due to a cessation of mining activity could be catastrophic.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version