Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 929891 times)

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #1425 on: May 11, 2013, 03:49:24 pm »

I'm expecting it to be Terraria with more stuff. Honestly, as long as the movement and combat mechanics are solid and not horribly broken and awkward to use I'm fine with just flying around space exploring random planets, at least for a while.

If I get to do that, and there's some kind of neat stuff to be found throughout the worlds I'll be happy. I could probably get my money's worth just spelunking and building cool bases on the planets they've shown already in screenshots. They all look amazing, I think.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: May 11, 2013, 03:51:18 pm »

I'm expecting it to be Terraria with more stuff. Honestly, as long as the movement and combat mechanics are solid and not horribly broken and awkward to use I'm fine with just flying around space exploring random planets, at least for a while.

If I get to do that, and there's some kind of neat stuff to be found throughout the worlds I'll be happy. I could probably get my money's worth just spelunking and building cool bases on the planets they've shown already in screenshots. They all look amazing, I think.
Never really expected anything else. If it goes beyond that, it'll only make the whole experience better.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: May 11, 2013, 03:52:17 pm »

as long as the movement and combat mechanics are solid and not horribly broken and awkward to use

Which for me was the deal breaker of Terraria, so maybe Starbound will step up to the plate.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: May 11, 2013, 04:05:48 pm »

I really don't have that much expectation for Starbound. I love exploration and that's pretty much the only thing I'm looking for. I don't care if exploration is made meaningless by other aspects of the game or by how world generation is done. I know I'll enjoy the game. I've had no regret buying Terraria and I'm sure I'll have none with Starbound.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: May 11, 2013, 04:12:44 pm »

Spoiler: OT to OT (click to show/hide)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1430 on: May 11, 2013, 05:56:43 pm »

I don't see how they can make this 'terraria with more stuff' if its mostly procedural content. Do they have procedural bosses? Terraria was a sort-of sandbox with open goals and a loose progression based on which bosses you could kill opening up new options.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: May 11, 2013, 06:13:44 pm »

Well maybe not bosses but creature ares, i think i heard each planet had a boss somewhere im NOT SURE might have been a simple suggestion somewhere long ago. Instead of cleaning a boss to increase difficulty well you change world and keep one as your *homeworld* you can terraform etc at least that was the deisgn plans
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: May 11, 2013, 06:35:59 pm »

I don't see how they can make this 'terraria with more stuff' if its mostly procedural content.

Why not? as far as I understand, they already have 60 armours, which is already more than Terraria had. They also have procedurally generated weapons (at least guns, don't know about melee weapons) and planets. Moreover they have procedurally generated creature-enemies and six different races with their own themed areas. These things are all features we've seen in screenshots and livestreams.

As far as I'm concerned, that's more stuffᵀᴹ than Terraria has.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: May 11, 2013, 06:51:46 pm »

as long as the movement and combat mechanics are solid and not horribly broken and awkward to use

Which for me was the deal breaker of Terraria, so maybe Starbound will step up to the plate.

I want attacks to be more than standing still and having a flat weapon rotate around you... like actually swinging the sword while charging or something.
From the videos it seems it's no longer the case, but I can't be sure.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #1434 on: May 11, 2013, 07:02:06 pm »

I don't see how they can make this 'terraria with more stuff' if its mostly procedural content.

Why not? as far as I understand, they already have 60 armours, which is already more than Terraria had. They also have procedurally generated weapons (at least guns, don't know about melee weapons) and planets. Moreover they have procedurally generated creature-enemies and six different races with their own themed areas. These things are all features we've seen in screenshots and livestreams.

As far as I'm concerned, that's more stuffᵀᴹ than Terraria has.
Oh, well if they have 60 armors who cares about gameplay mechanics. We can walk around on planets in our armor!

I'm talking about deep gameplay mechanics, not how much pixel art there is to wear or how many randomly generated guns there can be. Building a house is fun, but unless there is a reason to do so it quickly pales. Now if I can build piece by piece a generator room to power my refinery or weather control machines, that is interesting. If I can set up mechanisms and conveyor belts to move stuff around and store things, that is interesting. (to me anyway). If all I can do is mine some ore so I can make a new shiny armor so I can beat a slightly harder random creature... that might be fun for an hour or so but there has to be something else to do. I saw that there is research, which is a step in the right direction. Can we modify our ship? Creatures are put together from random parts... can we build something to alter them? Can we tame them? Is there a farming system? Is survival even a concern? (food, water, etc..) Will there be a quest system where NPC's can ask for you to do things?

There is just a lot we don't know about how the game will play, admittedly this is likely because many of those decisions haven't been made.

I just haven't seen anything aside from walking around on planets in various gaudy bits of pixel art armor with an admittedly very nice lighting engine.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: May 11, 2013, 07:09:51 pm »

Bosses in Terraria were only milestones and overall represented little challenge. I don't think bosses themselves were really important since, in many cases, the minimal gear required to beat them was also pretty much required for whatever new options beating them opened. Game progression can work in a similar way without the actual bosses. Planet difficulty in Starbound could achieve a similar goal. Although I personally would not mind it if game progression was much more randomized (i.e. if it was possible to get access, with some luck or patience, to some of the best stuff even from low difficulty planets).

Also, for Starbound to be "Terraria with more stuff", you don't necessarily need all that much. Terraria didn't have all that much to offer and even what it had lacked depth.

Spoiler: Still Off topic (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 07:12:19 pm by alexwazer »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: May 11, 2013, 07:12:11 pm »

You are completely right (and usually this is the kind of argument I would make  :o ) Forsaken1111.

The fact of the matter is the depth of the game has yet to really be brought forward and all the issues the game could have are yet to be alleviated.

We don't know if there is going to be a point to construction other then "look at me!". We don't know how combat will be. We don't know why we even should care about 60 armors (Heck in Terraria, in the end, none of the armors mattered).

Can we modify our ship?

No, not really. We can upgrade it to give it more rooms but we cannot exactly do what we want with it.

Bosses in Terraria were only milestones and overall represented little challenge. I don't think bosses themselves were really important since, in many cases, the minimal gear required to beat them was also pretty much required for whatever new options beating them opened

Bosses were VERY important in terraria because the gameplay was so very extremely absolutely weak... They were always what the game was building up to and was necessary as the pay off for all your hard work. The fact that you had to grind items just to fight them is proof enough.

A lot in Terraria could have been forgiven if the bosses were better (Heck Skeletron was a paper puppet)

Starbound can get away with no or lousy bosses if the gameplay is equal to a very well constructed and exciting boss battle. Yet games like these in general don't go for well constructed combat against lesser enemies.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 07:16:44 pm by Neonivek »

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: May 11, 2013, 07:21:33 pm »

HEre's some actual content for once. I already saw it on the PVP stream, but if no one caught that...

They have a specific set of pixel art blocks from the get-go. I'm assuming that there's different ones for both background and foreground as these seem to be background and the ones I saw couldn't be moved through.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 07:25:53 pm by freeformschooler »

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: May 11, 2013, 07:24:30 pm »

Bosses in Terraria were only milestones and overall represented little challenge. I don't think bosses themselves were really important since, in many cases, the minimal gear required to beat them was also pretty much required for whatever new options beating them opened

Bosses were VERY important in terraria because the gameplay was so very extremely absolutely weak... They were always what the game was building up to and was necessary as the pay off for all your hard work. The fact that you had to grind items just to fight them is proof enough.

A lot in Terraria could have been forgiven if the bosses were better.

That's an opinion, thanks for sharing it. It does not mean it is shared by everyone else. I never cared about shiny weapons and armours in Terraria. My only motivation to progress beyond basic spelunking and random exploration weer stuff like hermes boots, red balloon, cloud in a bottle, wings, etc. I would have enjoyed the game just as much without the bosses, even more actually since a few stages are grindy because of the need to defeat bosses to get utility gear: like the post-gold stage where you need to grind EoC/EoW to beat Skeletron so you can get golden keys just to be able to open the flying islands' chest.

I said not to take it personal and that my reaction was not strictly concerning your comment... what more can I do? Oh wait, I know: Smileys! :P Sorry if you were in any way offended, it never was the intention ;)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 07:32:53 pm by alexwazer »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: May 11, 2013, 07:29:20 pm »

It does not mean it is shared by everyone else

It is an opinion that isn't contradicted by anyone else. Everyone who argues for Terraria's gameplay simply ignores the combat and grinding for bosses.

But maybe I am not giving you enough credit, after all you wouldn't call me out to talk about something that was unrelated to what I said was it?

My only motivation to progress beyond basic spelunking and random exploration weer stuff like hermes boots, red balloon, cloud in a bottle, wings, etc

Right so the CORE GAMEPLAY the aspect of the game it all builds up to and as far as the game is concerned the most important part of Terraria that it puts forth onto the screen.

Is something you don't care about.

THUS my "That's an opinion" is completely contradicted. But wait, CERTAINLY you must have said something about combat. I mean you couldn't completely ignore the core gameplay... hmmm

I would have enjoyed the game just as much without the bosses, even more actually since a few stages are grindy because of the need to defeat bosses to get utility gear

And now my statement is SUPPORTED by you. Are you sure you are trying to argue against me?

The Bosses were important they were just done so terribly that even you ignored them.

Well you certainly gave me your opinion, I appreciate it but next time you shouldn't just repeat what I say in different words :P
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 07:32:38 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 565