Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 933193 times)

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4410 on: December 08, 2013, 12:38:52 am »

I think I'll take a swing at the forsaken server when it comes to be.

In other news, does anyone know how to make your own songs with musical instruments?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4411 on: December 08, 2013, 12:47:42 am »

The game in general.
A cost to scan is the high of forcing people to part with their money just to make them grind more.

I really feel like it's okay. If you go mining you et plenty, and as long as you don't shy away from the combat (it's really not THAT bad besides the hardass scaling, I'm not sure what people expected from a platformer. It could certainly be more COMPLEX, but would it be better? I'm not saying it's the best combat system right now, but for a platformer it works. Certainly not bad enough to want to abstain entirely.), it works fine. The refinery also generates a pretty intense amount of pixels if you, again, go mining.

I've never felt short of pixels, admittedly I've never replicated anything but I have a huge excess of them. If you were trying to outfit a huge mansion with big fancy stuff sure, it'd be heavy on the pixels, but that's a goal in and of itself isn't it? There's plenty of ways to get them once you get the molten core, provided you go mining.

I do admit that most of the neat stuff being behind the molten core is an issue in and of itself though.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4412 on: December 08, 2013, 12:51:24 am »

There's a hell??

Also, I think scanning costing pixels is just grindy. I parted with half my entire pixel supply at lv6 just to scan an Avian fountain I wanted to preserve. :C
Why can't I scan everything I want just to preserve it all q_q

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #4413 on: December 08, 2013, 12:54:03 am »

There's a hell??

Also, I think scanning costing pixels is just grindy. I parted with half my entire pixel supply at lv6 just to scan an Avian fountain I wanted to preserve. :C
Why can't I scan everything I want just to preserve it all q_q
IF you define a sea of lava as 'hell'. Not much interesting aside from ores sometimes showing up when you place solid blocks there.

Also, yes it is. You're korean, you know grindy. xD

*Twi attempts to apply stereotypes for comedic effect!
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 12:58:05 am by Twi »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4414 on: December 08, 2013, 01:00:00 am »

The whole scanning system is seriously messed up.

There should be NO pixel cost to scan. The idea is ludicrous. You're already destroying an item to do it - isn't that enough!?

I hate hate hate the scanning system, mostly because I actually want what it promises. I don't want to have to play for several hours just to scan 3 items, which I then can no longer use to decorate. It's a days worth of effort if you just want copies of several things, it's absurd.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4415 on: December 08, 2013, 01:09:48 am »

I'd really like it much bettwr if scanning was free. I don't mind things being destroyed, cuz my aim is to archive ALL the furniture.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4416 on: December 08, 2013, 01:09:48 am »

... maybe the trash should feed into it? Possibly along with pixels and, like, everything else you feel like sticking into it. Ditch the scan cost, convert the pixel cost to just some sort of generic "matter" cost that anything can feed in to (perhaps with pixels being more efficient than normal, I'unno.). Might be an intended upgrade for future versions, actually...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4417 on: December 08, 2013, 01:10:48 am »

Yeah, on the modding we could certainly use later progressions of bow...
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4418 on: December 08, 2013, 01:13:02 am »

Is Iron the last?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4419 on: December 08, 2013, 01:14:13 am »

Yeah, scanning is idiotic. The whole printer is, honestly. Here's my ideal:

-No cost to scan, item is not destroyed.
-Small cost to print.
-Anything can be scanned or printed; attach much higher costs to printing weapons/armor/ore/bars/etc. So for example if it costs 1p to print a single concrete block, 25p to print an office desk, etc., have it cost 500p to print a ~level 5 sword, 3000p to print a level 40 gun, 2000p to print a diamond, etc.

That'd give you the utility it should have (easily making building supplies and props to order), give you a way to circumvent the worst of the grind if you're careful about saving pixels, but not let you just ignore having to mine by printing off all the bars you need. Also, it would give you a legitimate way of sharing a cool item you found with a friend, rather than duping/using an inv editor/not being able to share it because it's fuck-off hard to find.

Basically it should still be available as a wealth dump (got more money than you can use? line your ship's walls with impervium blocks!) without making it useless for the apparent purpose (easing the pain of building by providing a ready source of exactly what you need through game mechanics rather than cheating).

Is Iron the last?
Steel. After that there are no more and it's useless.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #4420 on: December 08, 2013, 01:17:02 am »

what form does this lore everyone is talking about take? How do you find it?
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: December 08, 2013, 01:18:56 am »

Search containers, mainly bookshelves and desks(?). You'll find books; equip them and use them, and it'll add a codex entry.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4422 on: December 08, 2013, 01:22:22 am »

Pixels act as a form of currency, but the fact that you can refine them from ores reminds me, ironically, of a little catch from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri- energy as currency, or in this case, a sort of universal "essence." I'm quite partial to this idea, and think it could be taken further, with pixels being used for various conversions and ship/equipment functions.

If it's the grind that bothers people, perhaps the drop rate and amount for pixels should be increased and the scanning costs reduced, but not wholly eliminated?
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4423 on: December 08, 2013, 01:27:11 am »

I'm enjoying playing with an SSS combo, that is Short Sword and Shield. Basically you wait until then run into you then turn around and stab them... Thinking of switching to dagger just to make the counter attack faster, as sometimes they manage to get away.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4424 on: December 08, 2013, 01:27:19 am »

I really think it's fine with the refinery. Copper bars convert into 10 pixels a pop, ore into 5 pixels a pop so if you just go for all the ore you find it should be fine. I've got 550 or so copper ore just from mining around. It rewards you for mining, and hanging out on a planet to mine.

The 3D should definitely be able to print more stuff, and blocks certainly shouldn't be more then a few pixels a pop.

I'd really not see the 3D printer become "seen a block? You get it forever for what is basically no cost!", and make pixels almost useless in the process. It seems like a creative mode of sorts would be better for that sort've thing.

If they do add more uses for pixels I could see the costs going up, but I think they're fine for now.
Pages: 1 ... 293 294 [295] 296 297 ... 565