Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 933219 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #4440 on: December 08, 2013, 02:30:21 am »

Eh, what we're seeing here is pretty much Mark II of the reason I started inv-editing in Terraria. I can stand the grind up to the top to a certain extent, but when the game forces you to put in hours upon hours just for the privilege of being able to build your sprawling fortress or giant golden dick, I throw in the towel and cheat materials in so I can spend my leisure time playing with electronic legos instead of working.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: December 08, 2013, 02:32:35 am »

The problem is that it's literal grind.  You just wander around looking for animals.  It's not exploring and it's not really -fun- and if you're going to try to argue that "games aren't always supposed to be fun" then I think we're just on different wavelengths.

It's not even "fight these monsters to get enough pixels" it's "hope enough spawned, and if not, try again."  I've always felt there was something deeply wrong with a game, when your play experience is limited by being able to find a challenge.  Many MMOs will fall into this, where actually locating something to do takes up more time than doing the thing.  In SB, currently, you spend more time running in circles than you do fighting for pixels.

Can anyone verify how many pixels a single piece of platinum ore is worth? I personally have no issue with the idea of crawling my way through the first four grueling tiers to earn the right to ready access of the materials it would take to make a reasonably sized base, if that is the case.

If it's not, perhaps a new means of gathering pixels should be added. Shopkeepers already populated the universe, so why not give us the option to sell the goodies (weapons, gear, furniture, and miscellaneous bits and bobs) based on the price it costs to print them.

I've personally managed to accrue as much as 20k pixels at one time, after about a day's worth of grinding, minus a few deaths and some minor expenses. If it took as much as five times that to build a medium sized base (a couple of screens), I would be perfectly fine with it.

And for the record, I don't use a refinery. :P

EDIT: I may be conveying my point poorly. What I want from Starbound is something that invites you to make a career out interplanetary exploration if you want the rewards, rather than a walk in the intergalactic park.

Leave sandbox building to creative modes/said inv editors.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 02:43:57 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4442 on: December 08, 2013, 02:40:33 am »

That's the thing, though. Even with a 1p per block cost, just one full screen of structure would easily drain all of that once you added props. If you had a 3p or 5p per block cost, you probably wouldn't even fill one screen.

That aside, platinum isn't going to be a viable source of pixels until they fix its spawn issues. I skipped platinum armor because to date I've found a total of four pieces in-earth, as well as about twice or thrice that many in chests. It's easier to just melt all the silver you'll be swimming in.

I am sort of baffled why shopkeepers can't buy from you; they left a lot of basic stuff out of beta, sure, but that's pretty fucking fundamental.

3. Run Resize Enable

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4443 on: December 08, 2013, 02:49:03 am »

I've looked at all those terraria screenshots of the shit people build, and every time I say to myself, what are the odds they just cheated it all in. Or cheated ludicrous amounts of gold/dynamite/used a map editor to locate all the diamond/whatever.

Wheras I generate large maps and build a tower two screens wide that extends the entire height of the map. Sure its made mostly out of grey brick and not orichalcum brick, but do you know how much stone it takes to make that much grey brick? But at the end of the day I can look at all those people with their houses built out of pyrite and say " Yeah, but I actually BUILT my giant grey penis. So suck it."

It's a game. Its meant to eat free time. If you don't want to actually put in the time and effort to actually build something, well. Go play with your e-legos. I could understand if it was just because it's beta and data loss is likely. It's why I avoid taking on any decent projects at the minute.

But me? I'm gonna go build my house.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4444 on: December 08, 2013, 02:54:14 am »

That's basically what I'm saying. By no means am I saying there shouldn't be a creative mod/inv editor/some kind of big cheaty thing at the end of progression to let you do stuff. But let me at least have the option of doing it my way.

I can definitely agree that we might be attempting to play the games in two different ways here, and if that's the case we may just have to agree to disagree. :P

azurelao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: December 08, 2013, 02:56:27 am »

There shouldn't be a pixel cost for just scanning objects in. Also, the cost for printing items should be lowered. It might help if there was a way to break down items into pixels or sell them off, but there's sadly no option for that yet.

But really, it seems like there's no reason to plop down a base and spend so much money when it costs pixels just to advance. Most of the important stuff costs a lot of pixels, so you end up spending it on armor and upgrades rather than base making.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: December 08, 2013, 02:57:13 am »

I've watched Let's Plays. I'm not sure I understand. You can *always* warp out to your ship if you're on the surface, and can place blocks wherever you please (with enough dirt/stone). Then other stuff costs things. I still don't see a mini-mega-project being all that hard after a week of no resets. I'm still on the right forum aren't I?

yaaáaay, space-age grind for the perfect death fortresses. I'm cool with that shit. I'm surprised at the lack of faith. Deon's going to mod it, so it will be good. With magma if necessary.
It's a game. Have fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: December 08, 2013, 03:00:46 am »

A single diamond ore is worth 100px, and a single metal crate costs 300px.  Granted it's a great storage item, small, on the backdrop, and 16 slots.  But a camping tent is like 1,600px (or maybe 1,200px?).

I think being able to Refinery more things would help.  Tossing dirt for a 25% chance of a single pixel, or crops for more renewable, easy resources...  Changing it from "refinery" to "recycler" would make more sense.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #4448 on: December 08, 2013, 03:04:17 am »

A single diamond ore is worth 100px, and a single metal crate costs 300px.  Granted it's a great storage item, small, on the backdrop, and 16 slots.  But a camping tent is like 1,600px (or maybe 1,200px?).

I think being able to Refinery more things would help.  Tossing dirt for a 25% chance of a single pixel, or crops for more renewable, easy resources...  Changing it from "refinery" to "recycler" would make more sense.

I definitely wouldn't argue with this.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: December 08, 2013, 03:05:49 am »

I'm not saying I want to cheat. I'm saying that I want for there to be a viable way in-game to set up for that sort of project without necessitating hours of grind before you ever get a crack at the good stuff (and that when you've already ridden the grind up to the endgame, to boot). Maybe you can derive pleasure from spending all of your time doing that and then saying "I built that!". Me? I derive my pleasure from the creative process, at least as far as building goes. I don't want to spend hours gathering rocks, I want to spend them figuring out interesting forms I can build, drawing up building plans, arranging props, and so forth.

I've played a lot of games that encourage grind. I've enjoyed playing grindy games; to a certain extent it can be fun, when there's a real feeling of progress. But when the grind itself isn't fun (and repeatedly killing monsters/mining out planets for pixels isn't fun for me), but rather a gateway that you have to force your way through to get to the fun stuff, I don't have any interest in it. In fact, I think I can pinpoint the moment where this hatred of unnecessary grind came from (two days of near-continual flax farming and bowstring making back in my Runescape days so I could afford an abyssal whip, but that's tangental).

That aside, there is literally nothing stopping you from grinding out everything you need to build things even if the game is set up to make it relatively simple to get materials. When the options are between "People who want to build can get materials easily; people who want to gather materials can do so at their leisure." versus "People who want to gather materials can do so at their leisure, people who want to build can get fucked." I honestly don't see why you would chose the second. Why does it hurt you for other people to be able to enjoy the game in their way? A direct route does not preclude the possibility of an indirect route.

No, seriously though. Either I'm working, or I'm in classes and working, or I'm enjoying a few days of holiday. In none of those cases do I want to spend my free time "playing" a game by mindlessly repeating self-imposed fetch quests and give myself CTS so that I can spend a few hours doing something I enjoy.

3. Run Resize Enable

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4450 on: December 08, 2013, 03:14:30 am »

So uh.... how many people have taken their issues to Chucklefish's beta feedback forum?

I mean, stroking magnificently indignant rageboners is totally amazing... but we are 3 days into beta and they want feedback, and probably want literate feedback even more.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4451 on: December 08, 2013, 03:16:31 am »

Well not myself yet.
Should we compose a bay12 report of suggestions and recommendations to bring to the board? Lets face it, it is either us or Terraria crowd, who are you going to trust here?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4452 on: December 08, 2013, 03:20:36 am »

I've found a few items with no descriptions. I'm not sure what they are, one's called "Pathetic Cover" and I'm not sure where I picked it up, maybe from destroying those rotating pixel-holding thingies.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4453 on: December 08, 2013, 03:22:14 am »

I've found a few items with no descriptions. I'm not sure what they are, one's called "Pathetic Cover" and I'm not sure where I picked it up, maybe from destroying those rotating pixel-holding thingies.
My iron shield also lacks a description.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4454 on: December 08, 2013, 03:22:58 am »

Well not myself yet.
Should we compose a bay12 report of suggestions and recommendations to bring to the board? Lets face it, it is either us or Terraria crowd, who are you going to trust here?
I was thinking that. Someone could just go through the posts made since the beta was released and compile a list of all the suggestions/feedback. (And maybe edit it a bit afterwards)
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 295 296 [297] 298 299 ... 565