Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 930773 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #5520 on: December 13, 2013, 02:19:08 am »

So, I created a new character due to the latest patch, and walked my entire starting world without ever seeing another soul. There was, however, an outhouse with a sewer attached, that held untold legions of poo-men, mechanical spiders, and flies.
I found one of them once... You have to wonder how long that outhouse has been there to build up so much sewage.
Anyway did you find any other Glitch structures? Mine had a few empty houses that seemed kind of glitchy.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5521 on: December 13, 2013, 02:28:17 am »

So, I created a new character due to the latest patch, and walked my entire starting world without ever seeing another soul. There was, however, an outhouse with a sewer attached, that held untold legions of poo-men, mechanical spiders, and flies.
I found one of them once... You have to wonder how long that outhouse has been there to build up so much sewage.
Anyway did you find any other Glitch structures? Mine had a few empty houses that seemed kind of glitchy.
No other structures of any kind. I did, however, find a huge tar pit full of iron, with pockets of platinum and diamonds. Just finally got enough copper to make the first breastplate, too.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5522 on: December 13, 2013, 02:29:40 am »

I ran into a Kleux cult house on my starting planet, was fun to kick their two butts. The nearest star has a planet with an Avian outcast society and there's a Kleux temple on one of the moons. I like that, it's almost as if they're keeping an eye on the outcasts to make sure they don't rise up.

It's a shame the town's ambivalent about Floran, they're fun to live with.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5523 on: December 13, 2013, 02:39:01 am »

So the Glitch tried to teach the Florans to read and write, and mathematics, by way of them being the only inedible sentients mostly immune to swords and spears. And it culminated by a ban on writing for all Florans by some sort of unofficial leader, because one Floran wrote a pretentious book called Floran Peace that bombed everywhere, and the floran than tracked down his glitch teacher and crammed a copy of the book into their mouth and stormed off saying something about eventually returning.

I'm assuming this is some sort of reference. Otherwise banning writing for an entire species because one floran threw a hissyfit is a bit overkill.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 02:47:06 am by Kaitol »

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5524 on: December 13, 2013, 02:49:17 am »

Was an Avian involed at any point? If so I think he got eaten...
I'm pretty sure I've collected a few volumes of that lore series, but still looking for more.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5525 on: December 13, 2013, 03:03:04 am »

Well... my glitch character identifies some wall hangings as primitive early Floran symbols most closely resembling an Avian word or something.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: December 13, 2013, 03:12:58 am »

Well... my glitch character identifies some wall hangings as primitive early Floran symbols most closely resembling an Avian word or something.
ssstab

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: December 13, 2013, 03:13:26 am »

Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: December 13, 2013, 03:19:23 am »

What am I looking at?
Is that seriously an asteroid? I need to go to space some time...

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5529 on: December 13, 2013, 03:27:41 am »

Interesting which things the game keeps realistic and which ones are totally ridiculous, even given the setting. I mean, why does the temperature underground change at night? Colder in winter and warmer in summer would make sense, but how does the sun rising and setting affect underground temperature, and instantly, at that? Yes, it's cold in space, but you can keep warm with campfires - how can fires keep burning without oxygen? You can freeze in space, but even humans and Apex don't suffocate...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: December 13, 2013, 03:30:56 am »

There're various space suit models, so I guess in later stages of beta they may plan to implement a spacesuit mechanic.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: December 13, 2013, 03:35:51 am »

So I got to sector X. Seeing difficulty 5-10 planets in a big mix makes me nostalgic for last week before the Great Difficulty Level Smoosh. Getting hit for 10X my max health makes me less nostalgic for the same era. There's lots of plutonium, though! And everything else except iron it seems.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5532 on: December 13, 2013, 03:48:08 am »

So I was thinking I really want to play multiplayer, but it doesn't sound like it's working too well just now. It is best to just stick with single player and take lots of screenshots to share my work, and wait until they improve the multiplayer functionality?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: December 13, 2013, 03:50:52 am »

What am I looking at?
Is that seriously an asteroid?

Yes. Go high enough and you find asteroids.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: December 13, 2013, 03:53:53 am »

Interesting which things the game keeps realistic and which ones are totally ridiculous, even given the setting. I mean, why does the temperature underground change at night? Colder in winter and warmer in summer would make sense, but how does the sun rising and setting affect underground temperature, and instantly, at that? Yes, it's cold in space, but you can keep warm with campfires - how can fires keep burning without oxygen? You can freeze in space, but even humans and Apex don't suffocate...

It strains suspension of disbelief, even for an anachronistic space game. You should probably raise the underground point on their various forums as it's good. However, I suspect they don't even have systems in place to detect when you're "underground" versus "on the surface," as a character. Might take a little extra work.
Pages: 1 ... 367 368 [369] 370 371 ... 565