Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 933362 times)

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #5535 on: December 13, 2013, 03:54:53 am »

So I was thinking I really want to play multiplayer, but it doesn't sound like it's working too well just now. It is best to just stick with single player and take lots of screenshots to share my work, and wait until they improve the multiplayer functionality?

No. It works just fine; servers just crash a lot. I'd recommend only playing single-player when the server's down.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: December 13, 2013, 03:56:36 am »

Oh, me and elephant made simultaneous posts!
Woah, what? The weird thing is that that has actually happened to me at least once before.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5537 on: December 13, 2013, 03:58:08 am »

So I was thinking I really want to play multiplayer, but it doesn't sound like it's working too well just now. It is best to just stick with single player and take lots of screenshots to share my work, and wait until they improve the multiplayer functionality?
Once you get deep enough, temperature is constant, barring the underground biomes (For example, frozen underground biomes are like being on a snow world.)

You shouldn't have to go that deep though. Once you're "below ground" - when mining the back wall doesn't open a window or drain water - the temperature should be constant. In fact, logically it should happen earlier than that, but that would be the minimum. Right now it seems like you have to go pretty deep to escape the influence of the... sun...

EDIT: I found a floran prison! Is there anything worth looting in there, or is it just interesting to explore? I just died from the lava, and it's a long walk from the beam-down point, so I'd rather not walk back if it's not worth it...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 04:47:24 am by Sappho »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: December 13, 2013, 05:06:19 am »

There are never any guarantees for good loot, which makes it that much more interesting (as opposed to having that guaranteed chest with a guaranteed good item at the end).

I found an abandoned underground Apex science complex and left with a speed boost tech and about 700 blocks of electric barrier. My Glitch character also stumbled across a Glitch village. They were very friendly even to an outcast, and I almost didn't want to leave. Also felt a little bad about looting the crops from their farm plots.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: December 13, 2013, 05:07:24 am »

My Glitch character also stumbled across a Glitch village. They were very friendly even to an outcast, and I almost didn't want to leave. Also felt a little bad about looting the crops from their farm plots.

Don't worry, sooner or later some flying horror will swoop down and put them all out of their misery.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #5540 on: December 13, 2013, 05:11:32 am »

I went back, opened up the cells and watched the prisoners and guards fight, then finished off the survivors. Looted some interesting furniture and blocks before falling in lava again. I think I'll probably leave it for now. I have terrible armor, and also I suck at platforming (though I must admit I've gotten a bit better in the, according to Steam, 18 hours I've played Starbound). I need to get some better stuff before I explore too much. I don't even have full copper armor yet. I did find a better weapon in the prison though, dropped by one of the guards. Not a lot better, but still, better is better.

Also, I was mining for about 2 hours, and I found loads of gold and silver, even near the surface, but hardly any iron. Took ages just to make my anvil. I had to dig really deep to find enough.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: December 13, 2013, 05:16:12 am »

My new character started after the last update first found a crafting table in a surface chest when I was gathering wood to make one, then found an anvil in another surface chest... after I already made one. Then I found a stone pick in yet another surface chest.

I guess the moral is, always make a trip around your starting planet before starting to strip-mine the terrain for craftables.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5542 on: December 13, 2013, 05:23:59 am »

I am sad that I have only found one instrument so far and it's a puny base guitar :I

Also avian temples are boring, they got no loot in them and only pewpew gun-shooting guards.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5543 on: December 13, 2013, 05:56:13 am »

server restarted. this is becoming annoying.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: December 13, 2013, 06:04:02 am »

I am sad that I have only found one instrument so far and it's a puny base guitar :I

Also avian temples are boring, they got no loot in them and only pewpew gun-shooting guards.
Some have neat decorations though. I got a nice set of pretty bleepin' screen tiles to decorate the ship's cockpit with.
(I mean, literally bleepin'. Adds some ambiance to hyperspace jumps.)

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #5545 on: December 13, 2013, 06:10:13 am »

No problem. As I said I check it as often as I can. Usually this means when I wake up, before heading to work, and when I get home.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: December 13, 2013, 06:24:28 am »

I wish traps could actually damage enemies...

Also, I wish there was a horizontal door of some kind, so you could make little drawbridges.
Some sort of Glitch false floor exists.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: December 13, 2013, 06:38:06 am »

I hope that picks get rebalanced, a diamond pick isn't much different from a gold or silver one. Or are they just visual upgrades?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: December 13, 2013, 06:39:53 am »

It seems to be a pretty minor upgrade each time, but it adds up.
I suggest mining around chunks of really solid stone when possible...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: December 13, 2013, 06:43:45 am »

Alternatively, find a frog merchant and stock up on bombs.

They're like 50 pixel apiece, but if you've got enough diamond for a diamond pick, the ore processor can keep you so pixellated you won't even feel the cost.

Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 565