Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 933204 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #5550 on: December 13, 2013, 06:58:53 am »

I find just going to a desert planet and triggering a sand or gravel slide is a good way to gather ore with little effort. Falling sand and gravel also have useful water absorption properties.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5551 on: December 13, 2013, 07:03:58 am »

I am sad that I have only found one instrument so far and it's a puny base guitar :I

Also avian temples are boring, they got no loot in them and only pewpew gun-shooting guards.
Some have neat decorations though. I got a nice set of pretty bleepin' screen tiles to decorate the ship's cockpit with.
(I mean, literally bleepin'. Adds some ambiance to hyperspace jumps.)
Yeah, I have those tiles. I mined every single one to decorate my teleport pad.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: December 13, 2013, 07:52:53 am »

I wish traps could actually damage enemies...

Also, I wish there was a horizontal door of some kind, so you could make little drawbridges.
Some sort of Glitch false floor exists.
Yep.

I once found a Glitch house and saw the false floor. Went down and got electro grenades from the secret chest! :D

Althouhg.

Is it just me or are random-gen weapons consistently underpowered in DPS past Alpha sector now?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: December 13, 2013, 08:25:42 am »

On my Aussie gaming clan server, I made a massive sprawling super-city out of the starting world.
Now whenever anyone starts a new game, they beam way down into the bowels of the earth into a 'teleport room', connected to (the beginnings of) an underground metropolis.

only have Apex and Florans living there so far though... Currently trying to brainstorm how to build a Hyotl City-Wing.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: December 13, 2013, 08:53:06 am »

Interesting which things the game keeps realistic and which ones are totally ridiculous, even given the setting. I mean, why does the temperature underground change at night? Colder in winter and warmer in summer would make sense, but how does the sun rising and setting affect underground temperature, and instantly, at that? Yes, it's cold in space, but you can keep warm with campfires - how can fires keep burning without oxygen? You can freeze in space, but even humans and Apex don't suffocate...

It strains suspension of disbelief, even for an anachronistic space game. You should probably raise the underground point on their various forums as it's good. However, I suspect they don't even have systems in place to detect when you're "underground" versus "on the surface," as a character. Might take a little extra work.
Sure, they do. If you're underground, you can't teleport back to the ship. On the surface, you can.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #5555 on: December 13, 2013, 09:08:45 am »

I think that just checks for a straight line to the sky, as in no roof above you.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: December 13, 2013, 09:10:14 am »

Nope. It checks backwall.

Or at least in some cases. You can dig a hole in the back while you're pretty deep below the ground and warp out, so long as the background hasn't transitioned.

E: Double checked it: Roofing doesn't matter. Only back wall matters. You can check it pretty easy with some dirt on the surface, yeah.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:24:25 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: December 13, 2013, 09:19:55 am »

Does the size of the planets matter in navigation view? I started on a small forest planet, and have an enormous desert planet in my home system.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: December 13, 2013, 09:31:00 am »

I actually found a decent midi converter: here. I'm playing "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence" on my ship right now. Unfortunately it sounds god, god awful because it wasn't well suited to conversion, but... yes. At least Redemption Song works.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 09:35:39 am by Owlbread »

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: December 13, 2013, 09:50:07 am »

Does the size of the planets matter in navigation view? I started on a small forest planet, and have an enormous desert planet in my home system.

I think that display size does affect how large a planet is when you explore it. It seems to me that I spend at least twice as long circumnavigating the big spheres than I do the small ones...
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: December 13, 2013, 10:01:51 am »

I think that just checks for a straight line to the sky, as in no roof above you.
The game definitely checks how deep you are.  There is at least a 'surface' and 'underground' area to each planet.  While on the 'surface' you can destroy the backwall and warp free.  While 'underground' you cannot warp, and destroying the backwall does not let in any light.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: December 13, 2013, 10:08:20 am »

Nor does it let any water out.

Is there currently any available suit of armor that protects from the cold sufficiently to be unaffected by space-level altitudes? The winter infantry armor doesn't let you stay warm up there even if you stand next to a campfire.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: December 13, 2013, 10:08:48 am »

Add another campfire. And backwall.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: December 13, 2013, 10:13:17 am »

Nor does it let any water out.

Is there currently any available suit of armor that protects from the cold sufficiently to be unaffected by space-level altitudes? The winter infantry armor doesn't let you stay warm up there even if you stand next to a campfire.
Higher tier armor has more warmth than winter infantry.  I just wish the character sheet showed your warmth, along with your armor.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: December 13, 2013, 10:32:15 am »

So the Glitch tried to teach the Florans to read and write, and mathematics, by way of them being the only inedible sentients mostly immune to swords and spears. And it culminated by a ban on writing for all Florans by some sort of unofficial leader, because one Floran wrote a pretentious book called Floran Peace that bombed everywhere, and the floran than tracked down his glitch teacher and crammed a copy of the book into their mouth and stormed off saying something about eventually returning.

I'm assuming this is some sort of reference. Otherwise banning writing for an entire species because one floran threw a hissyfit is a bit overkill.
I don't think it applies to the rest of it, but Floran Peace sounds rather familiar. 
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 565