Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 933384 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - A flat yet infinite universe.
« Reply #735 on: October 15, 2012, 08:56:34 pm »

Pathing solves that

Pathing can help with detecting impassable parts of dungeons, but what do you do when it has found a part that is unpassable? Regenerating the dungeon runs the risk of taking a very long time to generate a passable dungeon. Shifting that part of the dungeon around results in the dungeon looking like it has been "patched" up at random places. Regenerating that part of the dungeon can have an out-of-place look etc.

Angles

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: October 15, 2012, 09:01:01 pm »

Given Starbound's parent. It will be a very long game with a minimal skill factor.

I would highly disagree. I think Terraria's combat system gets pretty good as head farther into the game. I would know because I repeated got my ass handed to me by said game. :P

And even then, at least theres no way to be worse than Minecraft's combat system. :P

Interesting, structured random on a computer is a hard thing to accomplish in a reasonably controlled way.

Given that this is a game where you can just mine through the walls, I have a feeling this won't be a problem :P
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: October 15, 2012, 09:03:27 pm »

Given Starbound's parent. It will be a very long game with a minimal skill factor.

I would highly disagree. I think Terraria's combat system gets pretty good as head farther into the game. I would know because I repeated got my ass handed to me by said game. :P

And even then, at least theres no way to be worse than Minecraft's combat system. :P

Interesting, structured random on a computer is a hard thing to accomplish in a reasonably controlled way.

Given that this is a game where you can just mine through the walls, I have a feeling this won't be a problem :P

I didn't say bad I said had a "Low skill factor".

You are going to absolutely lose if you are bad at Splunky. You can easily win if you are bad at Terraria, if you are prepared.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: October 15, 2012, 09:09:22 pm »

This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: October 16, 2012, 01:08:37 am »

Angles
Angles as in...?
: ok, AGAIN with the ANGEL problems. seariously dude?????????? Warning: Not safe for work probably.

In response to your actual question, I have no idea what Neo's on about. Rotating the rooms?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: October 16, 2012, 04:57:52 am »

Well actually I was talking about room variety within the hallway system to offset the randomness.

Angles if you get the right one actually makes improper pathing impossible.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: October 31, 2012, 10:40:50 am »

A new video featuring building.  Stairs will be pretty convenient.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: October 31, 2012, 10:54:21 am »

Things learned: Many aspects of the building process easier than Terraria's. Backwalling still a pain in the ass.

They need line and square tools :-\

Just a little... bot. Droid thing. Probably hovering. You click one point... then click another. And the critter fills in the area with the stuff you wanted. So much effort on the annoying part... saved.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: October 31, 2012, 03:52:22 pm »

Things learned: Many aspects of the building process easier than Terraria's. Backwalling still a pain in the ass.

They need line and square tools :-\

Just a little... bot. Droid thing. Probably hovering. You click one point... then click another. And the critter fills in the area with the stuff you wanted. So much effort on the annoying part... saved.
Hell man at least backwalling isn't going to require 2 minutes of running back and forth while wiggling the mouse.

I still think walking up 1:1 slopes and functional stairs are somehow the most significant features of Starbound to me...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: October 31, 2012, 04:35:34 pm »

Well, to be more precise, backwalling would appear to be less of a pain in the ass, yes. But. Still PitA. Improvement! Still annoying. No longer two minutes of running back and forth wiggling the mouse. Instead, one and a half just wiggling the mouse. Backwalling remains a process that makes me vaguely murderous :P

This could be fixed! I guess. If it's codeable. Little helper minion -- droid, tiny winged monkey avec fez hat, flying feathered snake, whatever. Designate area -- line, square, maybe "fill room" or somethin', too. Take care of fiddly bits and artistic flairs yourself. Let a critter do some of the grunt work.
Ask not!
Ask!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: October 31, 2012, 05:17:24 pm »

Mostly laziness. But... good idea, I guess. Threw a comment at their blog post copypasta-in' stuff I spat out here.
Ask not!
Ask!

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: October 31, 2012, 05:30:47 pm »

I wonder if anything there besides doors and the computer have a functionality.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: October 31, 2012, 06:07:58 pm »

Most likely nope well maybe the electric thingy on the floor , i dont think thats friendly.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: October 31, 2012, 06:39:50 pm »

Depending on fuel, or the amount of them you have, jetpacks would seem to alleviate vertical building problems.

Jetpacks fix most problems in my opinion......
It's a game. Have fun.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: October 31, 2012, 08:28:23 pm »

Is it just me or did the art style suddenly become a little bit nicer? For example, Rho's sprite looks larger and cleaner than the original one.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 565