Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 923872 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #6240 on: December 22, 2013, 11:00:49 am »

Running around in space is not an easy thing.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: December 22, 2013, 11:07:42 am »

One of the previews posted showed a "meteor shower" rain type that destroyed chunks of terrain. It's official folks, ground bases are now the most pointless waste of time ever.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Isdar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: December 22, 2013, 11:15:08 am »

One of the previews posted showed a "meteor shower" rain type that destroyed chunks of terrain. It's official folks, ground bases are now the most pointless waste of time ever.
I find it unlikely that every planet is going to be hit by meteors.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: December 22, 2013, 11:15:11 am »

Build a dome?

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: December 22, 2013, 11:17:57 am »

I find it unlikely that every planet is going to be hit by meteors.
Though it would be nice to know that sort of thing before you start investing in a base.
Build a dome?
This depends on how the meteor damage works. If it 'mines' blocks the same way other stuff does, rather than something lazy like what the UFO seems to do, then some of the tougher dungeon materials could very well serve as a meteor-proof dome and make for some pretty awesome gameplay.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: December 22, 2013, 01:23:33 pm »

Eh, even if it did work the way the ufo did, it would have to have a limit to what it could break, or every meteor would burrow to the core. therefore it would have to be unable to break say, stone, or only penetrate 10 blocks or so. In which case you could just have an ablative shield say 20 blocks thick above your base and just replace it after a meteor shower.

Do we even know if they're going to damage blocks? For all we know they only damage living things.

Also I assume they're going to be rare or only on special planet types or caused by something, so its not going to be that big of an issue I assume.

To be fair, having challenges to build a base around would only make it more interesting. Right now you can just build a square out of wood with cheap doors and its fine. Adversity gives the opportunity for creative innovation.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 01:27:43 pm by Kaitol »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: December 22, 2013, 01:28:28 pm »

I'll build my ground base deep underground, then.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 04:03:00 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: December 22, 2013, 03:37:11 pm »

It turns out I did have a back-up of my ship, on my other character.

One small problem; This back-up was before I had put any of my furniture down. Normally this wouldn't bother me, since it meant that I still had most of my ship. But there is also one large problem.

There is no captain's chair.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: December 22, 2013, 04:50:11 pm »

Derr. Mod one is as a craftable? I mean, the build your own ship must have a method of moving the chair and fuel thing around or something

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: December 22, 2013, 05:07:20 pm »

Derr. Mod one is as a craftable? I mean, the build your own ship must have a method of moving the chair and fuel thing around or something

It just marks the chair, fuel port, tech station, and storage locker as moveable, it doesn't allow you to make them. Though I haven't much use for the ship without all of my loot in it, and this character is barely used, so I'm probably just going to abandon it.

Also, while poking around the assets I found that every race has their own unique looking captain's chair, but for some reason every character I've made only uses the Apex one.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: December 22, 2013, 06:14:30 pm »

... the butterfly boost tech makes you a lot more mobile. A lot. Just... I just found it, circumvented the planet I was on in maybe 3-5 minutes, while having midair dog fights with passing birds. Kinda' insane. "Skipping" through the air, you barely ever have to land...

E: So very easy to outpace the chunk loading, though >_<

Even straight up. It's kinda' silly to get an occasional rest in a constant upward butterfly skip because you've gotten stuck on empty space.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2013, 06:36:14 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: December 22, 2013, 06:42:54 pm »

I can't seem to find what the point of the targeted blink tech is. You can't go through blocks or doors with it, and doing it rapidly consumes a lot more energy than gravity bubble or butterfly boost.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: December 22, 2013, 07:07:25 pm »

It's the most reliable combat tech, and once you have top-tier energy it's the easiest way to traverse a planet. Flashing lets you avoid absolutely everything and is instant, rather than requiring a sequence of button presses. It's great for fighting things that can wreck you, because you can use it like a dodge.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: December 22, 2013, 08:09:26 pm »

It just marks the chair, fuel port, tech station, and storage locker as moveable, it doesn't allow you to make them. Though I haven't much use for the ship without all of my loot in it, and this character is barely used, so I'm probably just going to abandon it.

The maker of the mod I use informed me that all the vital ship bits including the thrusters can be scanned and printed for 1 px per by default. You... kinda can't print off another tech station though so there is that.

To get a new set of the default parts:
1) Go to the player folder in the main starbound folder. There should be sets of 3 files: (long alphanumeric string).metadata, .player, and .shipworld. The .shipworld is the one you want.
2) Open .shipworld file or .player file in notepad. Somewhere on the first line should be the character's name. Note which alphanumeric string corresponds to your character.
3) Change the extension on the appropriate .shipworld file to .shipworld_bak
4) Start the game and load the character. Missing a ship will cause the game to generate a new default .shipworld file. Grab the important bits.
5) Delete the character's .shipworld file, and rename the backup to .shipworld.

You should now have your old ship back, with the bits from the fresh ship still in your character's inventory.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: December 22, 2013, 09:16:19 pm »

-snipped for SPAAACE!-

While that's useful information, I don't really want to bother with this empty frigate, since the character it currently belongs to is expendable and the only thing I really cared about is my loot.

Mostly just my nylon guitar and some bits of furniture, I don't care too much about the missing clothes or the lesser instruments. Looking back, most of the furniture I collected for the ship just ended up sitting in storage instead once I had finished decorating.

Thanks anyways, though.
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 565