Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 924365 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #6915 on: January 28, 2014, 03:23:58 pm »

My first character since the last wipe, the floran named Greenfinger, had his first bit of luck when he discovered an Avian pirate ship moored not far off the ground over a small patch of snow terrain on an arid planet.

Literally the first actual guns I got to wield since I first played the game. Dayum.

The second bit of luck came when a semi-random bird flew over the ship's deck, spat a glob of acid at Greenfinger, and hit one of the Avians instead. The Avian died (the bird was gunned down soon after), and dropped a sword. A two-handed sword. An uncommon two-handed sword. A tier 2 uncommon two-handed sword. It has poison and fire attacks, but it's really irrelevant because it offers a 1000% percent increase in DPS over any weapon I could find or forge here.

Wow.

So, I have a sneaking suspicion that the UFO won't be much of a problem...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: January 28, 2014, 03:27:53 pm »

Thanks Big, for that update.

Cached results are in, so you'll see less server interaction with the website. Also, I added a donate button in case you actually want to give me that 5 dollars, Tellemurius. lol
money thrown :P

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6917 on: January 28, 2014, 03:57:09 pm »

Thanks Big, for that update.

Cached results are in, so you'll see less server interaction with the website. Also, I added a donate button in case you actually want to give me that 5 dollars, Tellemurius. lol
money thrown :P

No way! You're awesome! :) Thank you mate, much appreciated

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: January 28, 2014, 03:57:47 pm »

Another hotfix was released recently, apparently. Can't connect to Tylui's server anymore.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #6919 on: January 28, 2014, 04:01:40 pm »

womp womp... I'll update now. I'll edit post when it's done

EDIT: Up and runnin'!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 04:07:05 pm by Tylui »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6920 on: January 28, 2014, 05:53:29 pm »

I just realized the downside to playing with Industrialization mod is that, since I don't remember how the game reacts when you join a server while using mods that the server doesn't have, I don't really want to take the risk of having my workshops disappear or materials turn into generic items. :|

On the flipside, Industrialization is a pretty awesome mod, so hopefully one of our gracious server hosts will include it in the package of mods they use.

Unrelated: For those of you who dislike the loss ratio on the pixel compressor but don't want to just cheat it away, this is sort of nifty. It adds four tiers of compressors with pretty decent requirements in return for decreased loss ratios. The top-tier one requires 20 impervium bars and a 10k voxel to craft in return for the 0% loss.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 05:58:56 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6921 on: January 28, 2014, 08:15:05 pm »

That sounds insanely cheap. Also why do you need compressors anyway.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6922 on: January 28, 2014, 08:25:15 pm »

So that you don't lose a thousand pixels or something if you die from giant tacklebeasts in X or Gamma or somewhere that has them.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: January 28, 2014, 08:26:16 pm »

TITANIUM! *fist shake*

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: January 28, 2014, 08:31:45 pm »

So that you don't lose a thousand pixels or something if you die from giant tacklebeasts in X or Gamma or somewhere that has them.
You can easily get those thousand pixels back by processing 10 diamond ore, and diamond ore basically gets chucked at you on Lv10 worlds.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #6925 on: January 28, 2014, 08:32:08 pm »

They really just need to remove pixels from armor crafting in general, it's fine for printing things but I feel like the armor pixel costs bog down crafting more then it's already bogged down by the tier enforcement. It doesn't need two levels of it.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #6926 on: January 28, 2014, 08:37:44 pm »

I hate how money works in this game. It seems like the only reason is exists is to be a really hamfisted punishment for dying. So they give you the choice of risking your earned pixels if you die, or guaranteeing loss but protecting against excessive loss from dying.

It's dumb and I hate it. Especially considering how easy it is to work around. Since my main source of pixel income is from sticking stuff into a refinery, I just carry a refinery and some assorted ores around with me and stick them in when I want to buy or make something. I have, at most, a thousand pixels on me at any given time because I just happened to pick them up from monsters I've killed. If I need to, however, I could spend a minute refining ores and get 10k or more pixels without risking a single thing.

So yeah. You should just be able to stick pixels into storage and be done with it. Have certain merchants or crafting environments only exist in dangerous areas and it'll force you to risk losing pixels to get to them. Compressing pixels should give you a slightly devalued, but viable and no-loss-on-death currency - It would work exactly the same as pixels in that you can buy stuff with it (And pixels will be spent first), but you lose some pixels turning it into the no-loss-on-death currency.

Boom, problem solved, and it's not nearly as hamfisted and actually benefits game play with proper risk and reward.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6927 on: January 28, 2014, 09:06:06 pm »

Speaking of punishment for dying, I wish I hadn't chosen hardcore mode. Fell off the screen in an asteroid field, cue a million deaths trying to get everything back by jumping and beaming up at the last moment, until I decided to just build downwards. A few items ended up missing, thankfully not the valuable stuff. Is there any way to configure a key to beam up automatically by the way?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6928 on: January 28, 2014, 09:06:13 pm »

You can easily get those thousand pixels back by processing 10 diamond ore, and diamond ore basically gets chucked at you on Lv10 worlds.
So wait, I'm confused here.

"Wait until X sector, spend resources from X-sector to dodge the death penalty by storing value in items" = cheap
"Wait until B sector, spend resources from B-sector to dodge the death penalty by storing value in items" = perfectly okay

That aside, I don't really see much point in it, because it's easy to get pixels. I know that some people who've posted here have trouble with dying a lot, though, and that pixel cost can be a pain for the folks who don't grind up to top tier gear in a day or two of gameplay.

Though if you're looking for an economy mod with a more ironic touch, I believe there's one that adds a workshop in which you can recycle all sorts of furniture and props, receiving the same pixel value as it would cost to print one at the 3D printer.  :P
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 09:12:58 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6929 on: January 28, 2014, 09:28:14 pm »

Penal colonies. So many penal colonies. Never a temple or sewer or proper village.
Pages: 1 ... 460 461 [462] 463 464 ... 565